Ultimate Noob Buyer's Guide Thread: The Grind-on, The Bitch(in), and the Boardrobe - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
FlakeRipper

Default Ultimate Noob Buyer's Guide Thread: The Grind-on, The Bitch(in), and the Boardrobe

What it is, folk.

(Preface)

Born and raised: Texas, <500 ft. below sea level, never been in more than six inches of snow in my life.
Signed up for my university's snowboarding class (in Santa Fe), so I've got a killer deal on a lift pass this season.

I know you're tired of reading these threads...so am I, but I've got to make some informed decisions before the beginning of the year and this is the one area where you can't buy half-ass blind. If all goes as planned, I might be scoring a smallish chunk of $$$ pretty soon that I can supplement w/job, savings and Crima$-loots. I'm looking the whole set-up here.

Statistics:

Height: 5'7
Weight: Buck fifty
Shoe size: 10.5 but I've been known to fit in certain 10's, so we'll just say 10.5 w/thick socks (do boot sizes scale differently?)

I've been doing a little research, and there's varying opinions on "beginner boards" in regards to length, stiffness, weight, etc. Screw all that, I have no concern for my personal safety and am looking for a shorter (I'm guessing low fiddys) board w/tons of I can't believe it's not butter flex. I don't want to go completely nuts though, nothing pro, just something that I'm not going to mind abusing for a few seasons that ain't stank-ass ugly so I can still scam cred at the lodge. And don't try to fool me into a Lamar (I know your tricks, wily boarders!) I'm digging the newer Forums and Never Summers (I'd like to be the first newbie thread that didn't name-drop Burton.....d'oh, there it was!)

Here's what I have:

A beanie.

Here's what I need:

One (1) Snowboard (which we just discussed)

A pair of boots. I'm going to head down to one of our local shops and try on a bunch of pairs, the importance of the fit has been repeated over and over and heel lift pisses me off in my civilian kicks as it is.

A pair of bindings. Again, what I've read in regards to the size has kind of been vague. 10.5 boot (probably): Medium or Large, or just try out a bunch of pairs and whatever fits the best? Any major proponents of metal or plastic lurking about somewhere? I'm leaning plastic just to keep this whole flexible/wacky motif going but stop me if it's suicide (ergo. the end of fun).

A snowboarding jacket. I assume you get what you pay for here, and just find something that suits you. What should be the minimum waterproofing/venting ratings I should aim for (in regards to New Mexico/Colorado climates)? I plan on falling a lot, and looking foolish in the struggle to get back up. Detachable hood, yay or nay? Ipod controls would be bonus, but not necessary.

A pair of snowboarding pants. Ditto as w/jacket. I wear 32/30 in jeans, is there translation? And don't call me stumpy! I'm sensitive.... [cry] [cut]

A set o'goggles. Which I'll just go try on and figure out. Do you get what you pay for w/these? What's the rip-off price point here?

A pair of gloves. I know I'm a lightweight w/the cold, but I'm not wearing mittens out of principle. I needs me some warm-ass gloves!

Board Maintenance: Wax of choice, guys?

...and some socks

Anything else I'm forgetting?

I'm trying to hover around the $800 mark w/all this stuff, but I could probably manage a grand if the argument for that extra green is strong enough. Sorry about the epic scale of this post, I'm just getting a lot of mixed messages with what I've read so far about certain things.

Toss me a bone before I blow $150 on a crap e-bay package, cover a thick hoodie w/saran wrap, and become a scary story that the mountain dads tell their little meat torpedos...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
xenster

You're asking a lot for someone to go out and try to budget all of that equip for you. Check the classified section here and see what you get. The best you're gonna get from a thread like this is a bunch of guys throwing out brand names at you from respective personal experiences.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
FlakeRipper

Ok, so thread 1.0 was a little ambitious...I was just hoping some psycho snowboard maven would have a bunch of crazy figures in his head. Let me try and clarify, I'm not looking for people to do exhaustive research for me, maybe if someone cruised on by and wanted to throw their opinion on one or two of my quandaries, I would really appreciate it. I just don't want to spend too much on one thing, making me skimp on another, also important thing and I end up bailing all over the mountain and/or catching pneumonia (because I lied to the college about having health insurance, shhh!) Anyways, thanks for the reality check, at least!
Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
xenster

One Ball Jay wax.

Boots suggestion: 32 or Salomon

Binding suggestion: I'm partial to Flow, but it's controversial. Most people agree that Rome, Salomon or Ride are the way to go.

The rest are up to you. But like I said, check the classifieds on this forum, they are pretty good. Use google product search (Google Product Search) for deals on equipment. I randomly use ebay on new equipment from ebay stores, used equipment is usually being sold for a good reason. A lot of online vendors offer free shipping on certain purchases so I'd check with google products first.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Augie09

Guess this is as a good as any place for one of my first posts

For your clothing question, I know it's always tempting to go bigger and better, but I've been just fine with 10k proof jacket and 15k proof pants. I don't think I'd get anything below that. I am not going to bother throwing out brands, but find a good clearance, suck up the urge to do better and just purchase some basic gear.

you probably want boots around 9.5 - again find some last year clearance stuff. I just saw Van's Encor Boa's somewhere for 65% off.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Augie09

oh, maybe this will help also. If I had to go generic on some stuff, it'd be the jacket and googles. You definitely want good weatherproofing on your gloves and pants, beginners spend a good amoutn of time on their a$$ and hands in the snow, a wet ass and freezing hands isn't going to make learning any easier. You might not even need googles in the beginning, I wore sunglasses my first 2 years.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Traynor2501

Here are some general prices remember most of this is last years shit just not having been sold yet. Other then that read at your own behest i.e. this is my own personal preference,

Board: Ride Timeless = 330.00 Buysnow.com
Bindings: Ride Ex = 120.00 Buysnow.com
Boots: Whatever fit... I would say anything below 100 dollarish is the ripoff point :150.00
Gloves: I wear Mechanix Cold weathers, or Thinsulate Mittens : 50.00
Socks: I use regular athletic acrylic socks my boots keep my feet warm : 25.00
Jacket/Pants: The-House.com has some great deals on clothing packaging : 250.00
Goggles: I think the cut-off for rip-offs depends on the brand I would say anything below 50ish
Just try them each of them on until you find what you need.

There you go... the timeless may be a little stiffer just so substitute it for one with a little more flex. Or You can spend 330ish at buysnow.com again on a neversummer board also.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor2501
Here are some general prices remember most of this is last years shit just not having been sold yet. Other then that read at your own behest i.e. this is my own personal preference,

Board: Ride Timeless = 330.00 Buysnow.com
Bindings: Ride Ex = 120.00 Buysnow.com
Boots: Whatever fit... I would say anything below 100 dollarish is the ripoff point :150.00
Gloves: I wear Mechanix Cold weathers, or Thinsulate Mittens : 50.00
Socks: I use regular athletic acrylic socks my boots keep my feet warm : 25.00
Jacket/Pants: The-House.com has some great deals on clothing packaging : 250.00
Goggles: I think the cut-off for rip-offs depends on the brand I would say anything below 50ish
Just try them each of them on until you find what you need.

There you go... the timeless may be a little stiffer just so substitute it for one with a little more flex. Or You can spend 330ish at buysnow.com again on a neversummer board also.
Yeah I wouldnt wanna put a first timer on a timeless, it takes some driving otherwise its gonna drive you. Especially if hes after something really flexy.

Last edited by Snowjoe; 11-07-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

You sure you want super flex? A massive amount of flex usually isn't the best thing for a beginner.

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
FlakeRipper

Thanks for the responses guys...some good info there.

P.S. Jay-sus, every review I've read about the Ride Timeless focuses mainly on its hot, dirty-ass speed! I consider myself a faster than average learner, but I wouldn't put it past me to accidentally jettison out of the class area and find myself hurtling down Dead Man's Peak or whatever. That and I'm not a huge fan of the term torsional rigidity at the moment. Props for overestimating my killer instinct though!

(Edit) Ok, ok. Maybe super-flex was a bit of an exaggeration. I'll probably end up with a solid all-purpose board in the end. What's the word on these Forum Recons 'round the barrel fire?

Last edited by FlakeRipper; 11-07-2007 at 04:50 PM.