Mitts or gloves with wrist support - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mitts or gloves with wrist support

I messed up my wrist falling on some hard pack at Tremblant last season. Even though it wound up being minor I am a bit paranoid and have started using gloves with wrist protectors in them.

I searched all over and could only come up with Dakine gloves of this type. I've used them for the best part of a season, and I really don't like them much. I want to look for something better and I'd like to hear any opinions about what is a good choice for a mitten (I'd prefer mitts to gloves) with a good wrist support in it.

gardner
Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The best advice I can give you is to not use them at all. Focus on tucking your arms in and falling properly. Those wrist "protectors" will just give you a false sense of protection and will continue to foster your bad habit. You'll just end up breaking your forearms instead. Do not use your hands to brace your fall. Tuck them into your chest and absorb the impact with your ass and torso. It's bigger and does a better job absorbing the momentum.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Along with with Mooz said; if you feel you MUST get some, I would invest in going top of the line with an investment that isn't a small piece made up that could as he said, injure your forearm even more.

Allsport CTi OTS wrist brace - $259.95/ea or $499.90/pair - brace your wrist with the Allsport OTS wrist brace

Is what I used and have taken a lot of nasty falls with my wrist since using it. But it's better than letting my f'd up right wrist fall without it tucked it or not, it will hurt far worst if I don't use it particularly for my situation. I do not foresee this unit contributing to damaging your forearms unless perhaps in the rare case of a perfect angle landing directly down on the wrist where pretty much nothing is going to prevent something breaking in that wrist.

It's however only preventative in the hyperextending motion; the movement of your wrist downward is still left vunerable. Nonetheless it should be used along with Mooz's advice; don't use it as a crutch to think your wrist is bulletproof.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Tucking in your arms when falling is easier said than done given that breaking your fall with your hands is so natural.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I live by the actions on "tucking the arms in and leading with the face". Its served me well so far and is very good for protecting my wrists.
fattrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5R View Post
Tucking in your arms when falling is easier said than done given that breaking your fall with your hands is so natural.
That's why you practice it.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

I swear by mitten shells with fleece liners that have removeable plastic wrist guards on top of and under the wrist. Sorry I don't recall the brand at the moment. They cost less than $50 and I've purchased them through Campmor and from Play It Again Sports. They keep my hands warm (sometimes too warm, so I wash the liners regularly) and my wrists safe. For springtime (warm weather) boarding I sometimes use skateboarding wrist guards, but keep your fingers off of the corn...it is like 50 grit sandpaper! I tried a pair of Burton gloves with wrist guards once and threw them in the desparation bin.
justdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
megamold

i use level fly gloves and i love em, they saved me alot of pain allready.
the price is ok , and the glove itself is great quality.
warm , comfy , safe

edit: you can also get mitts with the biomex protection

Last edited by megamold; 07-07-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

They say the under the mitt is better but I don't know of a Mitt that's big enough to go over a wrist guard as the last couple of years the mitts I've tried on were not bulky but slim fitting.
Suburban Blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've used Burton's Impact gloves with the suggested wrist brace I mentioned previously. There is a support in those gloves which does a good job as a support but doesn't prevent movement. They're pretty good sized gloves that with one size larger fit snug overtop of my wrist brace and when together, literally stop my right wrist from flexing much at all and works very well to eliminate any future sprains/injuries.

Screw being normal
Vlaze is offline   Reply With Quote