Enormous pain in side of heel. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Enormous pain in side of heel.

Hi there,

I haven't been snowboarding for very long and living in Belgium I can only go indoor untill I get the money to go on a decent trip. This year I've bought my own material and started really practicing. ( I'm all freestyle/park )

But the last time I went boarding I got enormous pain in my leading foot wich is my right foot. The pain was situated on the right side of my heel. I have added a picture to show where exactly I felt the pain, the foot on the picture is not mine, it's just a random picture from the internet, if a picture of my foot would be asked to see the shape or whatever I'll happily upload one!

So ... after about 2 hours I started feeling the pain and after a while I had to quit because it got too bad. Now the weird thing is : As soon as I got my feet out of my boots the pain somehow seemed to explode and I actually had to lay down because the pain was killing me. It took about a day or 2 after that before I could walk normal again.

I've been snowboarding about 10 to 15 times with my new material and I didn't experience this pain before except for one time where I would feel a slight form of pain there, but it was nothing comparable to what I felt last time! I can normally keep boarding up to 5 hours without any kind of pain.

The material I have :

Burton The Shaun boots.
Ride Beta bindings.
Forum Destroyer.

My angles are 15 -15 ( I've been using this since I started boarding because people told me it would be a good stance for freestyle riding and it seems to work out fine ..
My stance width is about 24inch ( 61cm ).
I am 176cm tall ( 5ft 9inch if I'm correct ?! ) and my weight is about 75kg ( 165pounds ).
I wear snowboarding/skiing socks and I think my boots are the correct size ( my toes touch the end but when I bend my knees they don't anymore .. ).
I use the j-bars provided with my boots because otherwise I have to overtighten my boots to eliminate heellift 100% !

I have provided as much info as possible so hopefully someone could help me out. Going to a shop to get things sorted out is a bit difficult because there aren't any around really. If any more info is needed I'll happily provide it as I really don't want to experience this kind of pain again.

One last thing : I could do without 16 year olds cracking jokes or giving me the wrong info.
poenanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
fuzzysnowboard

Have you tried a foot doctor?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysnowboard View Post
Have you tried a foot doctor?
No, I didn't go to a foot doctor yet. I'm a student and going to a doctor is something I would want to avoid if possible because in all honesty I don't have that much money at this point. I'd rather see if I can fix this issue by myself before contacting a professional. I do hope you can understand this, it's a bit of a difficult situation.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I had this happen once, it hurt like living hell. I never did figure out exactly what it was, i think for me it was a mixture of things.

1) My bindings were probably too tight.
2) My boots had shitty insoles, so i bought some Superfeet for 35 bucks from REI...
3) I think i was putting too much pressure on my front foot for sustained periods of time.

Its unlikely that your boots are misfitten if you've already ridden many times without issue, so i would say guess its one of the 3 things i mentioned above. For me its usually overtightening bindings that cause my foot to cramp.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I don't think I actually overtightened anything because I was aware of previous issues with that cause wich now makes me watch out for them.

In all honesty ... I'm pretty scared that I'm gonna have to go trough this pain again sometime because it was terrible :/
Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Load up a picture of your foot that can be some more serious issues.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have once again pointed out the place where it hurted. This time I used bloodred to express how painfull things were ...

I took some pictures from different angles to be sure. But I don't really see anything weird ...

Oh and nevermind the ridiculous shape of my little toe :')

Last edited by poenanie; 07-07-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Um those torn muscles you don't think that matter actually do that's probably the cause of it, but it looks like you have a bit of a bone spur starting.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I didn't think those torn muscles would actually have anything to do with it because they don't reach that far so they shouldn't really have any effect on my heal.

Anyway, now that you've mentioned a bone spur I've googled some about that and have come to the conclusion that this could be my "plantar fascia" aka "the long ligament on the bottom of the foot" wich is under stress and then becomes inflamed wich eventually can cause a bone spur. I think this does sound like a plausible answer to what's going on. The only question remaining then would be what the cause would be ?

How did you see I've got a bone spur starting btw ?

edit : Wait nevermind, that plantar fascia occurs to be on the bottom of your heel whilst what I'm feeling occurs on the side of my heel. I've got to find out what ligament that would be, BRB!

Last edited by poenanie; 07-07-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

have you tried to re-create the problem at home? put on your boots & strap in and simulate riding as much as possible... I highly suggest seeing a foot doctor cuz it will cost u way more if you end up injuring your foot seriously
return2heaven is offline   Reply With Quote