Need help on board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help on board

I am looking to get my first snowboard. I have only been 3 times so I am not very good at all, but I feel like I am starting to get the hang of it. I am trying to decide which board to get though. I have kinda narrowed it down to the Burton Custom 162 wide and the Gnu Riders Choice BTX wide. Which of those boards are better or if you have any other wide board to suggest for a beginner please let me know. By the way I am 6'3 215 with a size 14 boot. Thanks everyone for your help.
Thunder21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

The custom is a decent all around board. I believe the Riders Choice is a little softer and designed more for park riding. A lot of people will say to get a soft board to start out on but as a large rider myself (63 250) I will say that you can outgrow it in a hurry. It all depends on what you want to do though, a soft board wouldnt be bad for the park.

Those boards might be a little narrow for your 14s. The Custom Wide 162 has a 26.0cm waist width. Usually, people advise a 26cm waist for size 12s, something in the upper 26cm range for 13s, and low 27cm range for 14s (give or take a few mm for stance width, angles, sidecut, boot footprint, binding/boot compatibility, and riding style (park vs carve)).

I would definitely check out K2, Nitro, & Never Summer (when they go wide, they mean it). I learned last year an a K2 Format Wide and it was good times but Im looking for something stiffer now. The K2 Podium Wide is a step above the Format and would be a good option for you. Look at the Nitro: Magnum, Shield Wide, or Misfit Wide, and Never Summer: Revolver, Legacy, or Heratage.

I posted a long list of wide boards on an old post (2nd page):

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...eet-needs.html
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

What about this board? Never Summer Legacy Rocker/Camber Snowboard from Dogfunk.com Would a 161cm board be to small? The waist on this board is 26.5

Thanks for your help.
Thunder21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Legacy-R is a very popular wide board, a lot of people own multiples from various years here on this forum.
I myself own the 09 SL-R which is the non wide version of the Legacy-R and i absolutely love it.

You wont notice a difference between a 162 and a 161...especially since you will be gaining the extra .5 along the majority of the board length the 161 NS will likely float you better and with such giant feet probably fit you better. I am not sure on the sizing though, i can generally give good advice for people near my size but your much larger...so someone near your size will have to chime in if 161 is too short. In my head it seems reasonable..i know people 180ish ride 158-159's ...and i ride a 151 at 135lbs so it cant be too far off...

That said, its not a 'beginners' board necessarily, with that said you shouldnt be a beginner for very long, IMHO theres no point in buying a 'beginner' board unless

A) You are strapped for cash at the moment
B) You only go a few days a year
C) You plan to use it as a thrash stick in the park because they are generally cheap so its not a big deal if it gets gashed.

And even then i dont really know what constitutes a beginner board to begin with, atleast in my head its sonomous with cheap(not bad, but low price point). Everybody buys a beginner board, then regrets it the next year when they want to step it up, then realize they can use it as a park board or early/late season rock board when they dont want to risk damage to their better boards from those pesky rocks that can get you when the snow is low.

Last edited by arsenic0; 07-08-2009 at 11:56 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
I am not sure on the sizing though, i can generally give good advice for people near my size but your much larger...so someone near your size will have to chime in if 161 is too short. In my head it seems reasonable..i know people 180ish ride 158-159's ...and i ride a 151 at 135lbs so it cant be too far off...
You mean you don't think it should be a 171. That would be between his chin and nose.

The 161 should be fine. Looks like you found the last Legacy-r on the interweb (on sale at least). A 163 would be perfect if you could find one, since it has 26.9 width. But what can you do? The only time you might have an issue is if you lay it up for a hard carve. I doubt you would be disappointed with it. I've never heard anything but good things about the Legacy-r, or NS in general.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How soon are you looking at buying?

If you can spare the extra dough a lot of shops are selling 2010 NS gear now ..you can get it in any size...

Never Summer Legacy-R 2010 Model

a 163 or 165 would be ideal for you probably...its hard to pass that deal up though ...those boards were incredibly hard to find 3 months ago, im surprised theres any left...only one too lol..
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
HeartSnow31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardTheSnow73 View Post
The custom is a decent all around board. I believe the Riders Choice is a little softer and designed more for park riding.
while the riders choice is on the softer side for a gnu board, it is still equally as stiff as the custom. and it is actually more of an all mountain freestyle board, with a directional twin shape, just like the custom.

what kind of boots do you have? because certain companies boots are bigger/smaller than others so that will affect how wide of a board you need. i don't think you would have any problem though on a mervin board (lib, gnu)...their wide boards are definitely WIDE. you might also want to check out the lib tech skunk ape. its a seriously wide board and a little stiffer than both the custom and the riders choice ( it is the wide version of the TRS )
Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well would you look at that..... I knew that the Riders Choice Wide 166 had a 26.8 but I assumed the 59 and 62 would be less. Me=fail, they are all the same.
I always forget about the Skunk Ape because it is Fugly.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
HeartSnow31

hahaha hey some people really like the graphics on the skunk ape...but you are right, definitely not the most attractive board i have seen. which stinks cause it is a rockin board for people with big feet but every single time i showed it to people, they would be like...oh no...i wouldn't ride that. if the graphics are that bad...invest in $10 in stickers and you wont ever have to look at it again..
Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey Thunder, you probably don't want any more options mucking things up but I came across this today while hunting around:

Atomic Alibi Wide Snowboard

The Alibi is actually what I learned on. It is very stiff and won't turn well at slow speeds, so I would say it is not a beginner board, but once you got over the fear of speed you might love it. I do! Probably not worth it if you aren't going to ride a lot, but if you plan on going a lot and want to charge, this is a good option. I believe the waist is 26.7 for the 161.