Boots question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Boots question

Okay, I know this isn;t the ideal way to do things, but I found a pretty nice price on some Rome Boots and I'm considering rolling the dice and buying them.
Rome Snowboards offers Rome Folsom CLR 1 (8) Boots at Buy Snow your source for snowboards

I normally wear 9-9.5 size shoes. Does anyone know what a good size to guess would be for these boots?

Arbor Coda 158
Rome Crail 159
Ride EX
Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Honestly, it's impossible to say. Regardless of size, they may just not fit your feet, period. I probably tried on no less than 20 different pairs of boots before finally settling on the Solomon F22. It was the only boot that fit my foot well. I can tell you, nothing helped my riding progress more than finding a boot that actually fit right. I was a beginner at the time and I was really struggling to ride toe side. I just couldn't get up on the board. Riding in the F22's, the light just came on. I figured out that it was less me and more that the boots I was wearing were just way too big in the heel cup and I just couldn't get up on my toes.

For reference, I wear a 10.5 shoe and my F22's are 9.5.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My advice, don't do it. Yeah, you're saving yourself some money, but if the boot doesn't fit, you've just thrown any savings, and then some, down the drain.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
HeartSnow31

i second that. unless you can get to a shop and try on the exact boots you want before buying them online...it's not a very safe thing.

i say this to everyone that i do boot fits for (i work at a shop and have been doing boot fits for 2 years), boots are the MOST important thing when you are snowboarding. without good, comfortable boots you won't last more than a few hours and those few hours might not be that fun. spending the time to get boots that fit your feet and are right for what you are looking for (flex etc) will make everything about your riding experience that much better.

so, imo, if you can get to a shop and find these boots to try on (which if you have a rome retailer near you, shouldnt be that hard) and they fit, go ahead and buy them online. just make sure they are what you really want first!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the iinput guys. The nearest retailer is about 1.5 hours from where I live, and I don;t know if they carry Rome. Anyway, I'll take the advice you've given me and skip it. The boots I currently have seem pretty functional. They feel really comfortable while I'm just standing, walking, or sitting around. But not long after I strap in, my arches start to hurt. If I loosen the straps, that alleviates some of the pain, but obviously, that comes at the cost of control. Other than that, they seem to work pretty well, especially for older boots. They're older Burton Freestyles (i think), probably from around 2000.

Arbor Coda 158
Rome Crail 159
Ride EX
Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
HeartSnow31

if your arches are starting to hurt after putting your boots on, the first thing i would suggest doing is investing in a pair of foot beds. Superfeet are a great thing to start with, and will make a great difference in how your feet feel.

personally, thats usually the first thing i suggest to people who are having foot problems, especially with achy arches. usually what it is, is just not enough support down there (especially if you have high arches) and a good pair of foot beds will help it immensely!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Heh. I've already got a couple pairs of super-feet. They seem to help, but they don;t eliminate the problem altogether.

Arbor Coda 158
Rome Crail 159
Ride EX
Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I owned fosloms and loved them because the liner is designed to conform to the shape of your foot. not heat moldable, its called the conformist 3 liner and its pretty sweet, i would downsize a halfsize though, very cushy boots
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
HeartSnow31

do you have problems in your normal shoes as well?

the next step after a basic superfeet foot bed is either A-lines (which are pretty much a super, super feet ha) or to go to a custom foot bed.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Definitely get your boots from a shop. As mentioned Rome boots may not be the boot for you anyway. Try on a few pairs from your slopeside shop, the 90 minute drive one, or elsewhere. Your boots you have now sound like they need to be replaced. Look around at what those shops carry and check online for what the fair price of boots are that you are interested in. Armed with that info, even if they are charging more, you can bring up what you've found on the web and most retailers will meet or beat that price, if they really want your business.

Steep and cheap, brociety deals don't count of course...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote