Starting equipment - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Starting equipment

Hey guys, I'm new here... I've gone snowboarding 5 or 6 times so far, each time with a rental. It came fairly easy to me, after my first few days I was already slightly better than my friend who had his own equipment, went out much more often, and had taken a number of lessons. I'm not playing any sports right now and I want to make snowboarding my sport because I really enjoy doing it... so I have a few questions about starting equipment.

First, here's the complete list of equipment I was going to get before I read over some guides here...
Flow Flite 3 Snowboard Bindings 2009 : Snowboard Bindings | evo
Flow Rival Boa Snowboard Boots 2009 : Snowboard Boots | evo
Burton Gore-Tex Mitts (Closeout) - Snowboard Shop > Men's Snowboard Outerwear > Snowboard Gloves & Mitts > Snowboard Mitts
Spy Targa II Goggles - white/bronze gold mirrored lens - Snowboard Shop > Snowboard Goggles > Men's Snowboard Goggles
Skate America - DC Mens Snow Jacket Helix Glacier Stripe
Quiksilver Looks That Kill Pant : Pants | evo
Forum Stomper Snowboard - Blem 2009 : Snowboards | evo outlet <-------152cm

Now I'm probably not going to get the board because it's not considered "wide" and I'm 14 years old @ 9.5 size shoes. I'm going to skip the boots and bindings too to make sure the boots I do end up getting fit right and feel good. Then I'll get bindings based on the boots I get.

Otherwise, is everything else okay equip for a starter? Is there anything else I need to know?

Oh and what are some good stores to go to for snowboarding stuff where people really know what they're talking about?

Thanks!!!!
LoganCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

You don't need a wide. 9.5 boots should fit fine on a regular width board.
gidget_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidget_man View Post
You don't need a wide. 9.5 boots should fit fine on a regular width board.
I know but I'm still growing... fast. I think I'm going to be buying a size 10. Not sure though, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

even size 10 boots you wont need a wide board
jeri534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeri534 View Post
even size 10 boots you wont need a wide board
k... so that board should work?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Until you start approaching size 12 boots you dont really need to worry about wide boards..so unless your injecting your feet with steroids you should be good

Pants look good, you want 10k/10k minimum for pants so your ass isnt getting wet..even if your not falling your likely to have to sit on some snow/water on the lift...

The only thing i dont know about are the Goggles...i couldnt find shit on Spy's website about their lenses..but as far as i know typically mirrored lenses are for sunny conditions.

If you are just getting one pair of goggles you are probably better getting a more standard lense you can use in different conditions like a Persimmon which you can use in pretty much any condition...or if you want get one of each! It really depends where you ride...out here in Oregon you can assume 90% of the days in the season will be overcast and foggy in the morning..so mirrored goggles that reflect a lot of light can make it quite dark...

I personally have a set of Persimmon(for bright days) and Hi-Yellow which is Oakleys lense that lets the most light in for every other day..

Oh and you didnt mention, how much do you weight? Important for board length...

Last edited by arsenic0; 07-12-2009 at 02:43 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

kill your self on the flows, i don't know if you have rode them before, but they aren't for everybody, unless you have rode them and like them fine, but i find that for riding all types of terrain, and park, strapped bindings are the way to go. Flows maybe nice for getting in and out of off the chair, but i feel like you loose control.
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Until you start approaching size 12 boots you dont really need to worry about wide boards..so unless your injecting your feet with steroids you should be good

Pants look good, you want 10k/10k minimum for pants so your ass isnt getting wet..even if your not falling your likely to have to sit on some snow/water on the lift...

The only thing i dont know about are the Goggles...i couldnt find shit on Spy's website about their lenses..but as far as i know typically mirrored lenses are for sunny conditions.

If you are just getting one pair of goggles you are probably better getting a more standard lense you can use in different conditions like a Persimmon which you can use in pretty much any condition...or if you want get one of each! It really depends where you ride...out here in Oregon you can assume 90% of the days in the season will be overcast and foggy in the morning..so mirrored goggles that reflect a lot of light can make it quite dark...

I personally have a set of Persimmon(for bright days) and Hi-Yellow which is Oakleys lense that lets the most light in for every other day..

Oh and you didnt mention, how much do you weight? Important for board length...
I'll just ask around about Highland (the place where I'll be boarding) and average weather stuff when I go to look for boots & bindings, then I'll buy a seperate lense...

I weigh 105, so the 152 is as close to my weight as I can get (it's nicely within the reasonable weight range for that board, 90-160)

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOTony76 View Post
kill your self on the flows, i don't know if you have rode them before, but they aren't for everybody, unless you have rode them and like them fine, but i find that for riding all types of terrain, and park, strapped bindings are the way to go. Flows maybe nice for getting in and out of off the chair, but i feel like you loose control.
Yeah... I'm going to find the bindings I like after I get my boots, so I'm most likely not going with those... unless I find them in a store and like them.

thanks!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At 105 your pretty small for a 152...damn small infact..that said if your only 14 you'll likely be closer to the range in a year or two...so it might not be a bad investment..

Im 145 and ride a 151...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote