Snowboard Sizing Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
lilpnoyb323

Default Snowboard Sizing Help

hey everyone,
im trying to get a board soon so i can get it at a discounted price before this season but im not sure which one would be best for me. this would be my first board but ive been a few times with a burton 164w cruzer rental and the board isnt wide enough so i cant do toe-side carving since my feet hang over like 2-3 inches since i wear a size 15 boot. id really appreciate the advice that anyone has to offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

You def need a wide board! What is height/weight?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
lilpnoyb323

im 6'3" and about 205lbs
Old 07-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With such giant feet you may want to look at something like an Arbor Roundhouse..a 163 or 167..they are nearly 27" waist...and some of the sickest looking boards ever created.

Your board selection with such big feet is going to be somewhat limited.

Arbor - Roundhouse
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
lilpnoyb323

here i am thinking the wasteland was the widest lol i completely missed that...i guess when i looked at the 167 and they didnt have the waist up so thanks for the heads up arsenic! would it be in my best interest to get the roundhouse since its the widest at almost 27" waist or do you think i could squeeze it out on a 26" waist board like the burton bullet?

Last edited by lilpnoyb323; 07-14-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would steer clear of Burton. Their widest board is the Mayhem Wide 165 @ 26.8 waist width (there is no profit in supplying Sasquatch specific boards). This would be good for a 13, do-able on a 14, toe drag city for a 15. Shoe sizes increase by a 1/3" (~0.8cm) per size. Most people recommend about 25.8-26.0cm for a size twelve. This would mean you should ride a 26.7(13's) (I can vouch for this), 27.5 (14ís), 28.3 (15ís) (ouch!) to completely eliminate toe drag. You could subtract like 0.4-0.5 from these #ís if you set your stance past like 24Ē, and duck out past 18 degrees. You could ride slightly narrower than this even if you stay away from really aggressive carves. Iíve been thinking about making a separate thread on this subject.

So I think you should be looking for something in the mid to upper 27cm range or into the 28ís. This really limits things. I have scowered through 45-50 companies and only found these:
Many of them would be hard to find:

Donek Delrossi 175______w/ 29.0cm waist (probably way longer than you want)
Elan El Grande 167______w/ 28.4
Donek Sasquatch 170 ? _ w/ 28.0
Venture ______________ w/ 28.0 (Any Board)
Nitro Magnum 168 _____ w/ 27.8 (165 w/ 27.4) (gunslinger or warpath)
Voelkl Boostre 168 ____ w/ 27.5 waist
Elan Crest Wide _______ w/ 27.4
Nitro Sheild Wide 165____ w/ 27.2 (Venti or Tigre)
Nitro Pantera Wide 169___w/ 27.2
Option Redline Wide 167 w/ 27.1
K2 Format Wide 165 ____ w/ 27.1 (My Board!)
There are many other boards @ 27.0 and below. And I agree with arsenic0 that the Roundhouse would be awesome.

If you rock a full forward, semi-alpine stance you could go narrower.
Check out Nitro and K2, they have the widest lineups overall, Never Summer also has very wide options.

I posted a larger list of wide boards on an old post(2nd page), most of the boards listed are the longest available size. You could go shorter, but the width also drops:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...eet-needs.html
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't know if you have boots yet, but there are some low profile models out there that make the outside have a smaller footprint.
Burton makes some with "Shrinkage Tech"
I think Salomon's F-series are also low profile (but I don't think they make 15's)
Others know more about this than I.

Also you might look into getting some binding risers. You'd have to look around for reviews to see how much width those things can spare you.
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardTheSnow73 View Post
I don't know if you have boots yet, but there are some low profile models out there that make the outside have a smaller footprint.
Burton makes some with "Shrinkage Tech"
I think Salomon's F-series are also low profile (but I don't think they make 15's)
Others know more about this than I.

Also you might look into getting some binding risers. You'd have to look around for reviews to see how much width those things can spare you.
Yea i wasnt sure if 27 would be enough honestly, you have very big feet ...

Your best bet is to take your boots into a shop that carries arbor or burton stuff and strap in..
Theres no real easy way to know...your like shaq riding a snowboard lol...as he said before there's not a whole lot of business in making snowboards that big.

The only company i could find that makes boards 28cm wide are Venture Snowboards...they seem pretty legit..never heard of them myself personally..their boards even look Arborish.. they have a lot of boards that are 28cm wide..you just have to decide if you want it to be more freestyle or freeride...
Venture Snowboards
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

F series boots by Salomon allow you to wear a size X boot but will have a footprint one size smaller. As Arsenic mentioned, Burton also has their shrink tech thingy which does the same thing. This may help you, but you still need a wide board.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
lilpnoyb323

hey thanks a lot to everyone for their suggestions and comments! i took a good look at all the boards boardthesnow suggested on both pages and i think im going to narrow it down to the venture zephyr 162w and elan el grande 167w. i couldnt find a longer zephyr so would it better to get a 162 or go with the 167?