2014 K2 Raygun - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2014 K2 Raygun

Anybody have one or have ridden one? Saw some really good reviews and recently purchased the board.

I am an intermediate rider with some guts to take on blacks. Not slaying them by any means but a good, fun challenge.
mckinnonwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Demo'd them for years. They're a must have in the shop. Good price for intermediate rider.
zk0ot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to riding it at the end of Feb
Old 01-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I got one recently and have been riding it a lot the past few weeks. I like it so far. This is the review that helped convince me to pull the trigger on that deck:
2014 K2 Raygun Snowboard Used and Reviewed -
vajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajohn View Post
I got one recently and have been riding it a lot the past few weeks. I like it so far. This is the review that helped convince me to pull the trigger on that deck:
2014 K2 Raygun Snowboard Used and Reviewed -
Thanks for that link! Good review. So in regards to stability...what is the writer stating about washing out?

Will be riding it at Beech Mountain in the Southeast at end of Feb.

Did you getting tuned or wax upon arrival?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinnonwg View Post
Thanks for that link! Good review. So in regards to stability...what is the writer stating about washing out?

Will be riding it at Beech Mountain in the Southeast at end of Feb.

Did you getting tuned or wax upon arrival?
The only time I have felt it washing out a little bit was landing off a couple kickers when I first started riding it and thought I just needed to get used to the way it rides. It has better edge hold than I expected. I have had it up to nearly 70 mph and it is also more stable than I expected.

As for tuning/waxing...it is about the same as any other board. I waxed mine right after I got it. I sharpened the side edges a little with my diamond stones after about 6 or 7 days riding.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Only heard good things about it, I'm sure you'll have a blast!
ComaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
The only time I have felt it washing out a little bit was landing off a couple kickers when I first started riding it and thought I just needed to get used to the way it rides. It has better edge hold than I expected. I have had it up to nearly 70 mph and it is also more stable than I expected.

As for tuning/waxing...it is about the same as any other board. I waxed mine right after I got it. I sharpened the side edges a little with my diamond stones after about 6 or 7 days riding.
You are going 70 mph, yet sharpening edges every 7 days? If you can control a board at 70 mph, you should be able to hold an edge with a board ridden hard for 5 straight years without sharpening edges
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
You are going 70 mph, yet sharpening edges every 7 days? If you can control a board at 70 mph, you should be able to hold an edge with a board ridden hard for 5 straight years without sharpening edges
I was simply pointing out to him that it is a board that can handle speed well and is more stable than I thought when doing so. YMMV, I did not think that profile would be nearly as stable as my custom x at speed but it proved me wrong. I beat the sustained speed record by over 5 mph on the Raygun on TraceSnow app for one of my local resorts the first day I rode after returning from Colorado.

As for sharpening edges, I'm sure I could ride this board you are talking about but why the hell would I want to...I ride a lot of icy and manmade conditions...I like to keep my edges sharp and bases waxed. There is a big difference between how often I will sharpen between riding mostly soft and pow and between riding icy crap. I will run some diamond stones occasionally if I have been riding a lot of icy conditions. Usually only a few times per season, but I rode a lot of ice and also trees with some rocks recently...had a few decent sized knicks/burrs and decided to go over the side edges with my diamond stones after cleaning them up. Diamond stones are ok to use more frequently than if you only have metal files, they do not remove nearly as much material. And yes edges do matter to me...losing an edge at 60-70 mph + on an icy patch is not something I want to do...I am usually on edge just slightly when straightlining.

Last edited by vajohn; 01-26-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was simply pointing out to him that it is a board that can handle speed well and is more stable than I thought when doing so. YMMV, I did not think that profile would be nearly as stable as my custom x at speed but it proved me wrong. I beat the sustained speed record by over 5 mph on the Raygun on TraceSnow app for one of my local resorts the first day I rode after returning from Colorado.

As for sharpening edges, I'm sure I could ride this board you are talking about but why the hell would I want to...I ride a lot of icy and manmade conditions...I like to keep my edges sharp and bases waxed. There is a big difference between how often I will sharpen between riding mostly soft and pow and between riding icy crap. I will run some diamond stones occasionally if I have been riding a lot of icy conditions. Usually only a few times per season, but I rode a lot of ice and also trees with some rocks recently...had a few decent sized knicks/burrs and decided to go over the side edges with my diamond stones after cleaning them up. Diamond stones are ok to use more frequently than if you only have metal files, they do not remove nearly as much material. And yes edges do matter to me...losing an edge at 60-70 mph + on an icy patch is not something I want to do...I am usually on edge just slightly when straightlining.

My only point was, if you are a technical enough rider to ride 70 MPH on a Raygun, then you are a technical enough rider to push your contact points into the snow / ice on a good carve, and hold the edge. It's the profile and sidecut that determine how well the board will hold an edge, not the sharpness of the edge itself. It's also technical riding that will allow you to hold an edge. If you skid your turns, yeah, you will wash out often on ice. Don't get me wrong, if you're riding the ice coast, you don't want rounded out edges, but that isn't happening after 7 days. It happens after a season.

As far as the Raygun, and the Custom X, I have ridden both, and actually own the first year of the Raygun. The Raygun is a great board, but it wouldn't be one I would choose to bomb a hill over a Custom X. I wouldn't want to deceive the potential buyer in this thread. The Custom X is a very damp board, that absorbs a lot of chatter. It's a camber profile, so you will get a lot of pop out of the board, and generate quite a bit of power through carves. It's also a stiff board that combined with the dampening, really eats the chop well.

The Raygun on the other hand is an excellent all mountain cruiser. The board will soften up a little making it fun to butter and make the whole resort your terrain park. Profile is flat between your feet with rocker in the tip and tail. Board has a slight setback, but rides switch well.

The board isn't what I would call a damp board. You will have feedback, and if you are bombing the hill, that thing will chatter. I have a '56 and weigh 180 lbs, and you will get feedback from this board. Definitely has more dampening than a board like a Joystick, but it's going to give you some feel of the snow under foot.

Pop is fun with this board. You can generate some spring without it being loaded with tech. Base is durable but extruded. That doesn't matter to me with this board. You can get this thing moving pretty well, as evident by the poster going 70 MPH above.

I think I would describe it as a really fun, all mountain cruiser, quiver of one if you aren't looking to build out a quiver. You can progress in the park, on the mountain, and with the rocker in this profile, get some fun in the powder. Great board, and a great value. Also, I hate the beginner board tag it gets. The board is very forgiving, which is why, but it's a board that you can have fun on, whether you have 5 days of experience, or 1000 days. Really a fun all mountain board.

Last edited by Nolefan2011; 01-26-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote