Board advice? I like to get high! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board advice? I like to get high!

I am looking for some advice on what board to get this season. Right now i have an 06/07 Forum destroyer and it feels like a plank... I think its a 154 or a 156 and I am 5'6 and weigh 125 with a size 10 boot, so im thinking the board is just too big for me. I like to ride the whole mountain from time to time, and i always hit the big jumps at the resort. I'm not really into jibbin, but i do like to hit some boxes and flat rails from time to time. I also want to learn how to shred the half pipe soon. I consider myself as an intermediate rider.

Anyway the most important thing is that the board can rock any kind of air.

I am looking at the new Never Summer SL-R and Evo-R, but i am open to other brands like Rome, DC, Burton, and others.

I am just sooo confused and need some help. I dont want to get the wrong board again.
What do you think would be the right board for me?
racerstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cheer m8t! I'm still waiting for NS boards 2010 to arrive at local stores so plenty of time to stay confused.=)

No idea about other brands (Im quite a newbie so Im listening for other boarders who are more competent) but NS sticks looks sweet.
My stats a close to yours (57, 140, boot 9) and your type of riding is about what I want to be in the nearest seasons. For now on I see many good points for Evo-R, based on:

Never Summer Revolver R my take ~ The Angry Snowboarder

Snowboard Review: 08-09 Never Summer Evo R Shayboarder.com
+some threads on this forum.

Evo-R seems like an all-in-one board and will be perfect for you (look at sizes 148,151,153). And likely NS got Revolver-R (wide version of Evo-R, it starts from 153 with 26.0 waist) if its necessary.

SL-R got more dampening so it supposed to handle a bit more various conditions and stay stable. Sizes of SL-R are 151, 155 and longer.. I think you should take 151 (cause of you weight) but watch out for toe drag. Btw, Legacy-R (wide SL-R) starts from 156.

Good luck in decision making!
ghostovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah first of all that board is too long for you. I'm using 09 destroyer 154 wide with boot sized 11 and I'm 6'1 n 150 lbs. Feels great to me. Check out Bataleon boards like evil twin or rome graft.
Matuuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses!

The evil twin sounds sick! The more i hear about the reverse camber stuff the more i dig it. So i dont think i will be getting a rome. Right now i am leaning towards the Evo-R, but my main concern is if it will be stable at high speeds? Also what size should i go for? the 151 or the 148 if my boots will allow it...
racerstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerstf View Post
Thanks for the responses!

The evil twin sounds sick! The more i hear about the reverse camber stuff the more i dig it. So i dont think i will be getting a rome. Right now i am leaning towards the Evo-R, but my main concern is if it will be stable at high speeds? Also what size should i go for? the 151 or the 148 if my boots will allow it...
I ride my Evo-R EVERYWHERE! Its not a charger board but not a noodle at speeds. I think it feels fine at speed. If you want some more damping go SL-R!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The evil twin is not reverse camber. its standard camber but has a TBT, which is a lateral camber. from edge to edge along your contact points. increases surface area, raises your edges off the surface.

The difference between it and other companies similar tech is that this has 3 flat sections instead of curves, so in turns you plane instead of slide, it increases your effective edge during stops, increases speed and is just overall amazing. I love my bataleon. if you like to ride the whole mountain the Evil Twin may not be for you. It has an extruded base. Which is slower than a sintered, Bataleon also has the Riot, which is a little stiffer, has a sintered base, true twin. So its a hard charging fast freestyle board. Thats better for all mountain because it lets you charge the steeps and ride in the park,

Since your shorter and really light Id look for something about a 148.

Some suggestions are K2 believer, K2 Jibpan, Bataleon Riot, NS SL-R(!!!!), just some of my favorites for your style of riding.

Also if you like to hit big kickers (talking 25ft or more) you may want about a 150. just saying.

The riot was just a suggestion, some things Id look for in your case for freestyle and all mountain are

Middle flex, (not park noodle)
sintered base
146-152
if you want to try reverse camber I would recommend you try before you buy, it isnt for everyone, alot of people like it and alot of people dont. and every companies reverse camber is different, do research and see where the rocker is, is it at the tips? is it centered? is it off center?

Stay away from setback stances, makes the park more difficult.

Thats about all I can do to help. Thanks for making it so easy.

if you have any more q's feel free to ask

Last edited by RidePowder; 07-21-2009 at 01:55 PM.
RidePowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLuiD View Post
I ride my Evo-R EVERYWHERE! Its not a charger board but not a noodle at speeds. I think it feels fine at speed. If you want some more damping go SL-R!
FLuiD can you please post you stats (height, weight, boot + board length)?

Btw, can some one in common words tell me what the damping is?
Example: I ride down the slope and its flat. Then there is a snowmobile path and i crossing it. Board with more damping will "eat it" staying plane and with less of it will "follow the landscape" and bend over?
I have to ride low hills with a lot of people around making the slope very choppy.. so i guessing will Evo-R survive in such conditions and stay all-mt board?
ghostovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

think suspension, its the ability of a board to reduce chatter and instability over certain terrain or at high speeds.

So when you cross a snowmobile path at decent speed with a noodle you will feel it, and maybe get a little swirly, with a board that has solid torsional rigidity, (such as carbon fiber inlay, kevlar wrap or honeycombing) your board will be much more stable across the surface.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostovan View Post
FLuiD can you please post you stats (height, weight, boot + board length)?

Btw, can some one in common words tell me what the damping is?
Example: I ride down the slope and its flat. Then there is a snowmobile path and i crossing it. Board with more damping will "eat it" staying plane and with less of it will "follow the landscape" and bend over?
I have to ride low hills with a lot of people around making the slope very choppy.. so i guessing will Evo-R survive in such conditions and stay all-mt board?
6', 180lbs, Size 11 and my Evo-R is stamped as a 158 but we all know NS's are tagged longer then they are. Side by side its a cunt hair shorter then my 156 GNU CHB MTX.

Damping is how a board with absorb chatter over rough stuff. A softer park oriented board usually is less damp then an all mountain charger. Balance is key!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Fluid, you and I have the exact same stats. wierd