Direction for Intermediate Setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
TenzoR

Default Direction for Intermediate Setup

Hello, this is more of a confirmation to check if all my research are done correctly. I've been trying out boots since beginning of this year to get a good feel of what I like. This weekend is the big Tommy and Lefebvre (Ottawa) snowboard/ski sales so I'm hoping to scoop up my stuff for the upcoming season.

My skill level: Currently, I've snowboarded at least once a week last season. This is partly because I took a 9 week class and near the end I went on weekends as well to practice. I am some what confident I'm passed the beginner level and I am going towards the intermediate stage. My goal this season is to basically practice, practice and more practice.

Some information that may help
Weight: 220lb (though slowly going down)
Boot size 9.5-10.5 pending on which brand
Riding style: All Mountain
budget : None

I've tried out various Salomon, Ride, Burton, Vans, ThirtyTwo, Celcius boots. The one that felt the most comfortable was the Salmon, except I felt that it might just be a tad loose, but they did not have the next size down. Burton Ozone and ThirtyTwo Lashed are other two that felt very nice. I did not like the Burton Moto though. As for binding, I believe I am looking for a some what stiff set, since I'm quite heavy maybe something that's durable as well? I don't have much preference, but I liked the cheap price of the Ride EX. Perhaps I can use some more suggestions there. I made up a list of boots I'm going after as well as bindings, but maybe I'm being too optimistic or looking at the branding too much...

Boot

Salomon
F22
Dialogue Select
Symbio

Vans
Aura (2 boa)
Encore (1 boa)
Fargo (1 boa)

Burton
Ozone
Ruler GMP

Binding

Salomon
Relay Series
Relay Clutch
Relay Pro

Ride
RX
EX

Burton
Mission
Custom

I'm mainly after a nice comfortable boots as it's really hard to shop online for that as I need to go around the city just to try various brand. However, if I can buy all three items during the sale that would be the most ideal. One of my other main concerns going into this sales is I'll get sucker into buying a board I really don't know much about. I went to various smaller stores and I've been measured to use 160-165cm board (wide or not pending on the boot). But at my level should I really care? I figure a good set of binding and boots outweighs a crappy board. Any suggestions or perhaps more reading material would be helpful.

Here's the link to the sales flyer for anyone who's interested:
http://www.tandl.com/pdf/ware09_flyer_details.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Boots are what ever feels comfortable to you, don't go cheap, get something nice. They will last longer, and will make you more comfortable while on the hill. As far as bindings, stay away from Burton bindings. I would check out Rome and Union for bindings, but Rides are decent as well .
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOTony76 View Post
Boots are what ever feels comfortable to you, don't go cheap, get something nice. They will last longer, and will make you more comfortable while on the hill. As far as bindings, stay away from Burton bindings. I would check out Rome and Union for bindings, but Rides are decent as well .
why stay away from burton bindings? i like them more because they have more forward lean...

but them again i'm probably going to get rome next because i'm addicted to them
SPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

From what I have experienced, Burton bindings are "One Seasoners" they are made to last for one season to force you to buy them every year if you are stupid enough, which most people are. You can change the forward lean on any (well most) bindings
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
TenzoR

what about Salomon Relay Bindings? They looked pretty good when I saw them ..kinda pricy, so I may want to just get the Ride RX/EX
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
jibkingJ

i have the ride rx's and the vans encore boa. both are very nice. i especailly like my bindings. the boots are super comfy. and the boa is a piece of cake
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
TenzoR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibkingJ View Post
i have the ride rx's and the vans encore boa. both are very nice. i especailly like my bindings. the boots are super comfy. and the boa is a piece of cake
Thanks for the input, I would like to get Boa, or twin boa. I hope they have some Vans left for this sale as I've never had a chance to try them during the season. I'm going super early to get the first picks