Has anyone else had a problem with tongue drift in their boots? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
eldercato

Default Has anyone else had a problem with tongue drift in their boots?

I've been boarding for two seasons now and I've mostly ignored this problem. I tie my boots up nice and tight and hit the slopes, only they begin to loosen after the first couple of runs and I believe the culprit for this is the tongue, which moves towards the nose and tail for my front and back foot respectively, ie; drifts outwards.

It's a fairly significant move too, making an almost 90 degree rotation about my leg during the course of only 2-3 runs, so that the inside edging of the tongue is now almost in the middle of the boot. It is this, I believe, which also leads to the general loosening of the entire boot, causing me to retie/tighten my boots 7-8 times a day, which is annoying. I'm wondering if I can remedy the current boots that I own, or whether I should maybe look at getting something stiffer.

If anyone else has experience something similar, or has some good advice regarding this, it would be extremely helpful Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

how old are the boots

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
eldercato

I got them when I started, so I've used them every time I've ridden for the last 2 years. This has always been a problem, it didn't just start randomly.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
1.8Nate

The left inner boot of my 32s always does this. It bugs the hell out of me for some reason haha. Maybe try taping the inside of them?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All tongues "drift" in boots but yours is excessive. What stance/setting do you have? It could be that the angle of your bindings, combined with some aging of the boots allows the tongue to move more than normal. And Snowolf has a good idea: velcro the tongue down.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

They by chance aren't Forum boots are they?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
eldercato

Stance is 21 on the front, 15 on the back. No, they are not Forum boots, they are Saloman. That velcro idea seems like a good one. Do you know if any manufacturers make boots that are designed in such away that it is difficult for the tongue to shift while riding? Also, do you think the stiffness of the boot will affect this at all (they aren't particularly stiff)?

Thanks for all your feedback!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wear Salomons and I'm surprised that you would say the tongue moves. With the speed lacing system, the tongue rarely shifts and especially in the manner you mentioned (at least for me).

I would think that a stiff boot would have more tongue movement because the stiff boot body would only allow movement if the tongue rotated around
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have never had this problem with my Northwaves. The Speed Lace system is in the middle of the tongue so I am sure that helps too!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

i know what is going on (i think). when you tighten your boots you need to make sure the tongue is sucked all the way down before tightening, i had this happen to me in my speedzone boots,when tightening the upper part the tongue wouldn't sit all the way down against the liner and then as the the laces slacked it would move toward the outside, but once i started sort of hitting in towards the liner and then tightening it then hitting it again with my hand and then tightening making sure it was snug it stopped doing it. hope that helps
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote