Board size/type help/opinion - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board size/type help/opinion

This is my first season snowboarding, and i managed to get a little bit over 3 weeks on the mountain. I think i picked it up fairly well (i've been skateboarding before) and i ended up riding pretty much only the black runs, as well as a lot of powder (through the trees and over the streams).

I rode on a nitro fuser 159W, forum faction bindings, and northwave legend boots.

I would like to try cat skiing next season, and im thinking if i should obtain a different board for that. I'm really confused by the many parameters involved here - type, flex, length...

While i was able to ride my board pretty much everywhere (the last couple of days i did slides on a fun box and tried jumping off kickers and moguls) i'm under the impression that it's either too small or perhaps too flexible.

I'm 189cm (6'2") tall and a bit heavyset - 95kg. The board is declared to weights up to 75kg if im not mistaking, but thats what they recommended when i was buying.

I've been reading a lot but i still cant figure how riding experience changes when you change your board... For now, riding pow seems like i could use a bit more nose. It feels like i really need to pull the nose hard in order to catch powder and change direction. It's not like i bite the snow often, it just gets a bit exhausting after a while.

When going through moguls it seems like a stiffer, and perhaps longer board would do the trick.

So, if i have made a mistake by going 159W fuser, should i be buying just a longer fuser (or same type of board) or should i be getting something different... and longer if i plan to spend a part of next season riding powder more than anything else?

I plan to borrow some 167 burton board from a friend which he simply refers to as "freeride board", and give it a shot. He's about my height, mybe even a tad taller and a bit heavier, and he rides an even smaller board, something like 156 or so, doesn't even bring the freeride one along because he says its just huge...
pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Could someone just tell me what happens when the same person uses the same board model but different sizes? How does riding experience change?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Usually, a larger version of the same size board is made slightly stiffer, with a higher weight range in mind. Weight and swing weight will also increase.

The Good:
Your weight will be distributed across a larger effective edge. This will increase edge hold when carving. A longer running length, more weight, and more swing weight all help increase your stability at speed. The larger surface area resulting from an increased running length will give you better float in powder.

The Bad:
Higher weight will make it more difficult to get air on jumps. Higher swing weight will make it more difficult to spin. A stiffer board will be less functional for butters and rails. A stiffer, longer board is more difficult to control at lower speed which can be annoying especially for beginners. Riding a long board will make people think you are compensating for something.
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

if this is your first seasoin under no circumstances are you allowed to blame your equipment. you are still learning. you could get a longer board but then you will find you have difficulty doing something else. then you will think you want a softer board or something. for powder just move your bindings back another inch.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

I understand that.... to an extent. I get the whole "there are no rules" gig... to an extent.

2m high 150kg beast with size 13 boots should ride a narrow 138 board just as much as a small thin kid should ride a wide and stiff 172 board... am i right? There are some limits, there have to be?

I'm just a bit paranoid that my setup is somewhere near that limit. I guess its not, i rode it pretty well for the whole season, but i was just wondering, if i should change anything, what should i try and what could i expect?

Some people suggested, (and i'm under the impression that i can feel it) that my entire setup is pretty soft, forum says that the faction is their softest binding, if i'm 20kg heavier than my board declaration should i expect it to perform softer than it would to a lighter rider? My friend told me that he was buying everything ultra stiff, so it would perform softer for him since he weighted 135kg at the time, is there any merit to that way of thinking?

How do you even get to try different types of setup? Borrow, buy, rent?