First gear....boots online? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
darenas

Post First gear....boots online?

Hey all...

First off, i tried snowboarding last 2 years, and i've loved it....my first hobby since forever, and im sick of paying the rental fees....I weigh 220 and am about 6.1 feet, with 13 size foot.

I already bought the burton bullet 164 cm and Burton mission straps....now the most important part in my opinion is to get the boots. I only freeride on the mountain and more interested in downhill, so i need sturdy boots. I have been looking online but have a few questions about it first. Is it safe to buy them without trying them on? I was looking at Burton Ruler, but i do not mind going for other brands either. I am just not sure if any other brand fits into the straps as well as the burton boots do. I dont want to spend a fortune, so about 150$ is my limit. Any advice on the brand and durable boots that would not break down easily and are still comfy/warm enough to avoid complications? I am just looking for advice, so any opinions will help. I am new to all of this afterall...oh and sorry for the lengthy post...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You should've bought boots before bindings. Some bindings work better with certain boots. Some boots are higher volume, some are lower volume. IMO, boots should be the first thing you buy.

As far as brands, it depends on your foot. I have a narrow foot and Salomon works best for me.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

the single most important piece of equipment are boots! you shouldn't skimp on boots! if you have a crappy pair of boots that don't fit right it won't matter if you have an awesome board and bindings cuz you'll be sitting in the lodge with hurt feet. you should try on as many boots as possible and get the one that fits you the best
return2heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Exactly what return2heaven said, he's right on the money.
Also, if you really need to save money... try the boots on in stores, then when you have made a decision buy them online. Always try boots before buying!!!
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
darenas

thanks for all the input everyone...ya, I might spend some more on decent boots, but the problem is, is that it is not winter and there are not that many stores around here that sell snowboarding gear. I was weary of buying them online and thats why I asked. I might wait till the season and then see what I get. I guess I still have trouble differentiating certain boots for various riding styles. Im going to do some shopping around and see how it goes.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

buying boots online is stupid. you don't just buy a pair in your shoe size, you have to ensure they fit right or your whole day/season is gone. you should be more worried about the fit rather than finding ones that fit your type of riding. is saving money worth having incredile foot pain all season?
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
darenas

...i know its not worth getting shoes that dont fit me. I will most likely try to find closest stores around me and see what fits me. If i try on lets say Burton rulers and they fit me in the store, but i can get them cheaper online, why not...isnt it the same boot? although i guess its better to spend some extra cash now than later when my ankle is twisted...
Old 08-09-2009, 03:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

never buy any pair of boots without trying them on... online or otherwise
Old 08-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Support your local board shop and those that actually will go out of their way to help fit you and give you years of support, service, and advice down the road. I would never never go to a shop let them do all the dirty work and fit me and try on different boots just to save a few bucks and buy online after the fact, that is just plain wrong. There's something to be said for a brick and mortar board shop where the workers ride just like you and me and back what they sell. Support local business and local riders buy your boots from a shop!
bobepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Im in the exact same situation as you darenas, Im buying my first set up purely online. I live in Perth Australia, and there're only 2 stores that sell snowboard gear, all ridiculously overpriced. Id fully support a store if they supported me with regular prices, so if I can find gear online for 70 to 80% off retail prices, then im not thinking twice about where im buying from. I picked up my '09 Rulers for $120 online; my "local" store was selling them at $399!!!
I agree that you have to try on heaps of boots, so i was honest with the salesman and told him that i wasn't at all interested in buying from the store, that i just wanted to try on boots because i was buying online. Out of 4 different salesman, 1 told me he wasn't going to help, the other 3 were really cool about it.
saudade101 is offline   Reply With Quote