Best BTX board for steep & deep, natural kickers? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
kismyash

Default Best BTX board for steep & deep, natural kickers?

I currently ride a Burton Troop 155, and I absolutely need a new board I live in Colorado, where the snow's light and fluffy, and I'm looking for the best board with BTX that'll handle backcountry pow, natural kickers, trees, cliffs...as well as ice for those wind-blown days on the backside of Vail.

I'm looking for a board with BTX because I've heard nothing but positive feedback about this technology in terms of both pow and ice (which is rare)..both on the internet and from my friends. I've seen some videos of dudes tearing it up off cliffs and over pillows at Mt. Baker on a Skate Banana, but I'm wondering if the SB is consistently realistic for this type of riding? I've read some arguments that it's mainly a park board, so..

Also, I've read the Lib Tech TRS BTX is stiff and aggressive.. anyone know exactly how stiff and aggressive? I'd still like some pop, and I'm a chick (5'10, 135 lbs) so a stiff dudes board would be extra stiff for me given my weight. With this same logic, I'm wondering if the SB would be stiffer for me than the dudes who've reviewed it? I've looked at the Gnu B-Pro series too - that seems like the ideal board for me so far (maybe?), but I'm really interested in the floppier Lib Tech boards.

I'm not concerned about women's specific or anything..any advice on a board that could tackle the above would be tight. And maybe this season I'll get a bit more into park..a solid all-mountain BTX board is pretty much what I'm looking for. I've researched, read the reviews, but it'd be nice to get some advice from people who are unbiased.

Thanks!

Last edited by kismyash; 08-04-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My unbiased opinion is to do a demo day and ride several different boards.

My biased opinion is BTX is more suited for mainly riding conditions, and other boards are better suited for Colorado riding. I would check into Never Summer, Bataleon, Omatic, Nitro, Step-Child, etc. The whole magne traction part of the BTX is what messes me up. I rode a BTX and at first I thought it was amazing, but looking bike it was kind of like riding on a train in a sense. Basically locked onto a grove and as odd as it sounds, the board kinda took me for a ride.... BTX didn't seem to go edge to edge very easily, and seemed to have a lot of drag in the deep stuff.

My personal opinion.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Snowboarding101

As Milo said, demo boards before you buy them. Especially if you want to switch from regular camber to reverse. Some people love rocker and some hate it. I have seen friends spend money on a brand new btx board and hate the rocker. Then again I know plenty of people who will not ride without it. Just make sure you get a chance to ride a reverse cambered board before you invest in one.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

the b-pro is barrett christy's board... and she's not a jibber.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
earlvb

I didn't find the TRS to be that stiff. In fact it was softer than the Kass and Park Pickle, but stiffer than the Banana. I don't know how they compare to the B-Pro, except for the info on Mervins site.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

how would we relate exactly how stiff and "aggressive" a board is? are we all robots with stiff and aggressive sensors? there is no "best for...." snowboard in existence, its all preference. don't buy a jib nodle to freeride on and don't try to ride park with a big stiff assed freeride board.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote