What Board Should I Buy??????? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wilster

Default What Board Should I Buy???????

I've been snowboarding for many years now but have always gone for low level boards ($ being the reason). But this year I want to take it to the next level and I know that I need a good board.

What boards should I check out?

I've always rode stiff boards but I want something with a lot of press this year. I want to be able to torque the thing out. Really be able to bend and flex for maximum press. But I do ride a lot of "all mountain" so it's gotta be able to handle a tight carve at speed. I also don't want an even stance (same distance between tail to back foot as nose to front foot) because I ride a lot of pow, I need a staggered stance (let me know if you disagree).

That's what I'm looking for.... I've been considering a reverse camber board (like Lib Tech) but I'm just so skeptical about reverse camber. Can they really handle big ramps? Can you hold a tight carve at speed? If anyone has any experience with reverse camber, I would really appreciate an opinion (I know they're awesome for rails and boxes but what about ramps, groomers and pow?)

I'm a big guy (6'4, 205lbs, size 13 feet) so I need something between 163 and 165 (disagree?) that's pretty wide. I ride burton toe cap bindings and 32Prion boots.

Any suggestions for boards I should check out??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Dont be afraid of reverse camber, realistically any board can handle big ramps if thats the board you've practiced on..granted some are easier than others...

If your looking at Lib Tech look at their new boards with C2 tech(Double Banana i think its called too?), or boards by Never Summer with the same type of reverse camber...

There are a few other types of reverse camber out there as well, all with just a bit different so they dont copy another design patent.

Most higher end boards(and lower end boards now to some extent) have much better edge hold than previous...things like Lib Tech's MTX, or Never Summers Vario Side Cut make holding tight curves easy even in the worst conditions...

I am more familiar with Never Summers line-up and a Legacy-R sounds right up your alley...someone else can chime in for Lib-Tech or other boards. I've heard Arbor makes some wicked boards for you larger guys, and they dont use Reverse camber...so they maybe an option...and they look sexy as hell...

What board & size do you ride now to get an idea for board width?
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm about your size and I just picked up a 161 Bataleon "The Jam" in the wide version. I've also heavily debated getting either the Never Summer Revolver, Bataleon Goliath, or Bataleon Omni (which is new this year)

I picked up this years The Jam at a discounted rate since next years riding season is approaching, so that may work to your advantage as well.

Def look into both Bataleon and Never Summers technology
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
I've heard Arbor makes some wicked boards for you larger guys, and they dont use Reverse camber...so they maybe an option...and they look sexy as hell...
I agree. I think Arbor makes the best looking boards out there. It's funny you should mention this. I just showed my fiance a picture of the NS Heritage I just bought and she was totally bummed about it. I was considering NS vs. Arbor and she really wanted me to get an Arbor based on appearance alone.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't be afraid of a centered stance. It will be great for presses and such and also help you learn switch if thats what you want to do. If your gonna go ride powder just set your stance back a bit on the inserts.
bubbachubba340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wilster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
What board & size do you ride now to get an idea for board width?
I ride a LMT 164 Wide. I definitely need a wide board cause my boots are so big.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
I've been snowboarding for many years now but have always gone for low level boards ($ being the reason). But this year I want to take it to the next level and I know that I need a good board.

What boards should I check out?

I've always rode stiff boards but I want something with a lot of press this year. I want to be able to torque the thing out. Really be able to bend and flex for maximum press. But I do ride a lot of "all mountain" so it's gotta be able to handle a tight carve at speed. I also don't want an even stance (same distance between tail to back foot as nose to front foot) because I ride a lot of pow, I need a staggered stance (let me know if you disagree).

That's what I'm looking for.... I've been considering a reverse camber board (like Lib Tech) but I'm just so skeptical about reverse camber. Can they really handle big ramps? Can you hold a tight carve at speed? If anyone has any experience with reverse camber, I would really appreciate an opinion (I know they're awesome for rails and boxes but what about ramps, groomers and pow?)

I'm a big guy (6'4, 205lbs, size 13 feet) so I need something between 163 and 165 (disagree?) that's pretty wide. I ride burton toe cap bindings and 32Prion boots.

Any suggestions for boards I should check out??
you are sort of asking for the world here. everyone wants a board that is easy to press/fun to ride but can also handle 'all mountain' or bombing down the hill and the properties that make a board good at either of those are almost directly opposing in nature

most boards are designed to do everything, at the extreme ends of the spectrum ypu have soft jib noodles and at the other end you have beefy damp freeride machines, IMO only about 20% of the boards available fit in either of these categories

so you are left with a couple problems, you can ask everyones opinion what they think a "good board" is but you know what opinions are like, this forum seems infatuated with never summer and bataleon so you will get many of those recommendations, other forums might point you at other brands, it depends what the denizens of each forum prefer. you could read reviews but reviews are mostly a joke, there is no way to really measure anything so its just one persons biased subjective impression that really doesn't help anyone. if you look for reviews on any product on the internet you will always find widely opposing viewpoints and thats because most people are idiots.

personally because of your size and what you describe as to how you want to ride i would agree that a c2 banana such as a trice would be a good option, having the rocker in the middle of the board helps with presses and pow, but the new style with having some camber under your feet helps with the power you want for cruising around. i haven't been on that particular board but libtech is a pretty safe bet, they know how to make snowboards

as far as having a centered stance, depending on how wide your stance is you can set it back a bit even if the inserts are centered since most will let you go up to 25 inches or so, but if you ride a really wide stance your options will be more limited. riding centered on a rockered board is doable in the pow for sure, if thats what you're worried about.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

why are you giving him your admittedly useless advice

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

you know the difference between advice and reviews, right?
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wilster

Thanks for the advice and feedback everyone. Actually, Incogneato's advice was good. It helped me realize that I have to choose what I'm buying my board for. I can't have a board that's great at everything so I'm gonna buy 2 lol. A high quality reverse camber board (probably Lib Tech) and a crappy stiff board for the glade and rock riding. I'll just have to choose what I'm focusing on each day.

Thanks again