Should I upgrade my beginner board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I upgrade my beginner board?

Hi guys, hope someone can give me their expertise on this.
I have a Burton Clash, which I find to be a solid beginner's board.
I would consider myself now to be at intermediate level (or at least pretty close).

I'm planning on doing a full season in 2009/2010(late December to April, hopefully riding every day).
I'd say I'm gonna be 50/50 between park and freeride - I can pick up an 08/09 Evil Twin
for a pretty good price - should I buy it or stick with my beginner's board for the season?
Any advice appreciated.
360FacePlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
NyInfamous'Girl

Yes I would definitely say you should upgrade your board. Even though its not the board that makes the person at the skill level they are, it is the rider. A board definitely will help you step it up. I have seen advanced riders ride beginner boards and do 360's and bomb it down the mountain with no problem. I went from a noodle beginner board to a new int/adv board and I definitely stepped it up a few levels. I felt more confident and had a lot more control with my new board. And speed too for that matter.

I would check out the Rome Agent, as I have been hearing A LOT of good stuff about it. My BF has the Rome Targas, I know he loves them and from what I have seen they are really official. If you spend half your time in the park and half riding, I would definitely check out the Rome Agent and Rome Targas set up. I think that would be exactly what you are looking for. I know the Rome Targa's you can adjust its stiffness and flexibility to suit your needs, whether it be park or riding.

Good luck!!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

picking up that ET would be a very nice upgrade. if your riding everyday there is no need to not step it up to a real board, but everyone has there own opinion. i have friends that ride old lamar boards with plastic kmart bindings that can shred harder then most kids in the park..
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you can afford to, do it!
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help guys. The Rome Agent looks really good. Last season's model is only $245 on Sierra at the moment, unfortunately they charge $138 to ship to Ireland
I might try to get some of my friends to order at the same time to split the shipping costs.
It's a coin toss between the ET and the Agent!
I will look into the Rome bindings too, I like the adjustability because I have a real dislike of capstraps.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure if you're interested, but I did a quick google and found an Irish place selling lots of Bataleon boards. You may have already found it, but I figured it was worth posting.

IrishSnowboards
gidget_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah thanks man, I have been in contact with those guys recently and the prices are pretty reasonable.
In general we tend to get totally ripped off with board prices in this country.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thrasher4

yea i suggest you not go with the 50/50 because those are still some what a beginner type board. If you can afford the ET then get it!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.
In the end I went with the Rome Agent!
No bindings as of yet. I still have my '07 Burton freestyle bindings, which are pretty beat up but I love them, and they are really comfortable. Will I notice a huge difference with say 390s or Union Forces?

It's going to be a long wait til December now.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
NyInfamous'Girl

Good choice! My BF just picked one up too...now comes the lonnnng wait to use it. I had to go through the same thing when I got my new board. It sucks just looking at it and not being able to use it for like 5 months

Anyway, hope you like it!