Never Summer "RipSaw" vs "SnowTrooper" - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Never Summer "RipSaw" vs "SnowTrooper"

Hi im new to this forum. I live in Denver CO, been riding 10+ years. As im older these days i don't do much park anymore and am focused more on powder and all mountain charging.

I currently have a Never Summer Cobra, this board is excellent in powder, but i find when charging a groomer on icy days it washes out pretty easy.

So I have been considering the Ripsaw or the Snowtrooper. Anyone tried both boards and can steer me in the right direction? (ill probably keep the cobra for powder days) So basically need something to bomb groomers on shit days that has good pop for hitting rollers etc, that wont wash out on a bit of hard stuff.

*Edit -
I don't need something sooooper aggressive as sometimes i get lazy and still like the forgiveness of a rocker style board. That is my one hesitation with committing to the Ripsaw. For those who have rode it would you say it is still forgiving like the other NS decks or does the increased camber make you have to really be on your game or catch an edge?

Last edited by AmberLamps; 02-07-2015 at 08:01 PM.
AmberLamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is the snowtrooper the legacy replacement? If so they are pretty different.

The Ripsaw has way more sidecut, and is stiffer. Its also much less agile and harder to turn going slow. Put that thing on edge going fast though and it rails, it has the best edge hold of any non traditional camber board I have ridden.

All this is just me though, reviews and opinions are ok for a general guide but you need to and try both out and then decide, most good snowboard shops will let you try both and knock the rental price off the msrp. Factoring in that these boards aren't really discounted that much its your best bet.
MGD81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure what the Snowtrooper replaces, but I know its less aggressive / more forgiving than the Ripsaw. However a local shop has a brand new Ripsaw for $350. They do let me demo them and will put that towards the purchase if i chose to buy, So i will probably do that.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Snowtrooper and West are both kind of successor boards to the SL/Legacy. Same deck, except for the camber profile and the top sheet.
SGboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe I should hold out for the West next year? It seems like exactly what im looking for.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Snowtrooper/X is the replacement for the SL/Legacy.

I would recommend the snowtrooper for what you want to do, or wait for the West. Since you live in CO and see your fair amount of powder, the snowtrooper may have a slight advantage in powder because it is less camber dominant than the West.

I rode my trooper in Vail and it floated well it 8 inches of fresh snow. We were lucky with snow on my trip so I can't speak for ice performance.

I'm coming off 150+ days on my SL, that thing was great dealing with icy hard pack here on the East coast. Hopefully the trooper performs the same as the SL on the east coast crud
NevaSummaLuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned!

I read:

I want to bomb groomers and pop rollers.

I didn't hear:

its needs to be twin

Wait for the West.

From what everyone says the Ripsaw is a real groomer ripper, I've only read the reviews, but you probably won't go wrong there if you can't wait except it is gonna be beefier which was a caveat u mentioned.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLamps View Post
Hi im new to this forum. I live in Denver CO, been riding 10+ years. As im older these days i don't do much park anymore and am focused more on powder and all mountain charging.

I currently have a Never Summer Cobra, this board is excellent in powder, but i find when charging a groomer on icy days it washes out pretty easy.

So I have been considering the Ripsaw or the Snowtrooper. Anyone tried both boards and can steer me in the right direction? (ill probably keep the cobra for powder days) So basically need something to bomb groomers on shit days that has good pop for hitting rollers etc, that wont wash out on a bit of hard stuff.

*Edit -
I don't need something sooooper aggressive as sometimes i get lazy and still like the forgiveness of a rocker style board. That is my one hesitation with committing to the Ripsaw. For those who have rode it would you say it is still forgiving like the other NS decks or does the increased camber make you have to really be on your game or catch an edge?
If you're looking for one board to do it all I say wait for the West. If you're going to keep your Cobra then get the Ripsaw. I see people talking about how aggressive the Ripsaw is, and yeah, it does lend itself to really aggressive riding, but it's still a rockered board at the end of the day, and I think it's relatively forgiving. I'm older too, and it sounds like my riding style is similar to yours. The Ripsaw is probably my favorite board ever for just ripping around on. Common sense tells me my other boards are better in powder, so I've never bothered to take the Ripsaw out on a pow day, and likely never will. I've been riding the West and like it a lot. I still gravitate toward the Ripsaw a little more, but if I had to pick one board to do it all then the West would probably be at the top of the list.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for your input, I am on my way up to Vail to demo both...here we go.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLamps View Post
Thanks for your input, I am on my way up to Vail to demo both...here we go.
Let us know how it goes...
I have been riding the Ripsaw on groomers and moguls, but no powder. Would be nice to try that, but powder is always nice. The West looks really cool, BTW.
deagol is online now   Reply With Quote