Weight Requirements - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
FuyuKuma

Default Weight Requirements

Not sure where this should go, but it seems like it should be here.

I have a few questions about weight limits on boards. Recently I bought an Airwalk 152 Indo board (wood core - all mountain, beginner style) to get back into boarding after a 5 year stint at being lazy and fat. Honestly this wasn't my first choice...but I didn't have much and wanted to go on the "go cheap and make sure its still your thing" route.

Now...I began my Oh Crap I Need To Not Be A Lazy Shit journey around 4 months ago @ around 256lb...as of today I am 208 with the goal of being 175 by first season's trip (around Nov 20th if I can). I think the weight limit on the board I got caps at like 160 or something like that. With that in mind I have a few questions:

Would I upset the board by practicing on it or riding before I'm within a certain weight range?

Is it okay to go over these limits and if so by how much would you say is okay?

What kinds of damage can be done to a board that may not be obvious to a person just looking at it...and how would I check for that?

Thanks, sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

no you should be fine, it may break but you will have to do something stupid for that to happen. if you do get down to 175ish that will be fine..im 175 riding a 152 as well. thats for a park board though, if you want a cruiser get something considerably larger.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
FuyuKuma

Excellent! I am leaning toward park riding for this board but I think it might be a little too stiff for it...mostly I will be regaining my basics and getting them locked, then maybe the last day or so hit the terrain park to get a feel for that too. Who knows...probably will end up renting a different board one or two days just to get a feel for them to know what to buy for 2010.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yea I would think you would be fine if you get down to that weight, I'm 160 and use a 150 for my jibstick. Not a huge difference
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

First off, congrats on the weight you've lost to date. That is no small feat! Also, as everyone has said, if you're going to weigh 175 by the start of the season, it shouldn't be a problem riding a 152.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
FuyuKuma

Update: 198 and still dropping, should be well within the limit by season start. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Congrats that's awesome!!! Keep it up!
Old 08-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Augie09

you must be exercising like crazy! Makeithappen Brings a tear to me'eye picturing ya on the first trip up the lift this season
Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuyuKuma View Post
Update: 198 and still dropping, should be well within the limit by season start. Thanks for the info everyone.
Hey Fuyu...not to discourage, but is your diet under professional supervision? Dropping 10lbs in just over two weeks, although great, is also alarming. Just looking out for a fellow boarder!

Again, congrats on the weight loss
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
FuyuKuma

bump and update: 175 has come and gone...I expect to be 168 or less by shred time.

DC: I've been doing the diet for about 9 months now and nothing really serious has been wrong...I get adequate amounts of all the nutrients I need to make sure (in my eyes) that I'm not depleting my bone or lean muscle instead of fat so I'm quite pleased with things so far.

edit: I was scared of that loss too and its kinda evened out here and there. Ever since I stopped weighing at 6pm every day I've eliminated hydration variances and had a more reasonable weekly drop in numbers

Last edited by FuyuKuma; 11-09-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: clarification