Re-entering sport, help with new equipment... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
AK4900PA

Default Re-entering sport, help with new equipment...

Due to a couple injuries (broken/fractured bones and ruptured spleen) a few years back I completely stopped riding. Got a wife, dogs, mortgage, etc., etc.. Thanks to increased financial stability and supplemental insurance I'm ready to get back into the game. I hadn't really kept up with the industry the last few years and was amazed at all the new technology and options on the market. I was born and raised in Alaska, but I'm now living in Pennsylvania. I still visit AK every other year and my dad recently retired to Northern Idaho so I'll probably swing by there on the years in between.

I've read through dozens of reviews and all the manufacturer sites and I'm pretty well set on giving Never Summer and Union a shot. Haven't even looked at boots yet, untill I get a chance to go try some stuff on.

I'm 6'7", 235lb and wear a 13/14 depending on brand. The majority of my riding will be here on the east coast where it's basically hills covered in ice, but I'd be spending about 2 weeks a year in Idaho/Washington, or Alaska so I need something that can handle some real snow.

Looking to purchase the NS Revolver-R 164 with Union Contacts for park/pipe and the NS Legacy-R 170 with Union Forces for trips out west and the occasional 4" snow storm.

Do these seem like good choices for me? I'm really digging the Never Summer lineup, but I am still open to suggestions at this point. Sorry about the long ass post. I appreciate any suggestions/advice you guys might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome back. I myself had a long vacation from the sport due to injury. Torn rotator cuff and broken collar bone. I know how it goes lol...

Well the Revolver-R is a wide Evo-R where the Legacy-R is a wide SL-R. Honestly you wouldn't need both boards at all. Either of those boards would do anything you mentioned you want to do. The Revolver being the more park oriented and the Legacy being more mtn friendly. They are both Rocker/Camber so they will slay pow/park/mtn and the vario grip sidecut really helps on ice.

I ride my Evo-R all over all the time...pow, mashed potatos, rails, groomers, steeps, moguls etc...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
AK4900PA

Thanks for the reply, FLuiD. I figured the Revolver-R would be ideal for conditons out here in the east, but not exactly ideal for the deep powder in the northwest and alaska. Being from Colorado, I'm assuming you have some experience with this board in the deep stuff. I know the technology has come a long ways in the time I've been out of the sport, but I just have a difficult time comprehending the idea of a park/freestyle board being able to hold it's own in the pow. I don't see myself doing any riding that involves a helicopter or cat, just resorts like Mt. Spokane, Sweitzer, and Alyeska. Considering my size if I was to use the Revolver-R as a do-everything board would you go with the 161 or maybe step up to a 164. I originally looked at the Legacy-R to do it all since I definitely enjoy shredding some fresh pow more than anything, but realistically that will be a very small portion of my total riding out here. The Revolver-R more accurately represents the kind of riding I really do most of the time.

Last edited by AK4900PA; 08-10-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The individual model is up to you, but I can tell you that you can't go wrong with Never Summer. Living out here in CO, I can't say that I've ever heard anyone say a negative word about the quality of any NS board. I narrowed my choices down to NS vs. Arbor and eventually decided to go with NS due to their reputation for building an extremely durable board and the local element.

My '09 NS Heritage is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!

In Transit - On Time
Scheduled Delivery Date:
08/11/2009
Shipped To:
EVERGREEN, CO, US
Shipped/Billed On:
08/07/2009
Type:
Package
Service:
GROUND
Weight:
11.00 Lbs
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I love my 09 Evo-R, it's a GREAT all around board, BUT, I have read that this year's Evo/Revolver is quite a bit softer than last year's, so you may want to contact NS before purchasing it as a do everything board.

Last edited by spirited driver; 08-19-2009 at 02:27 PM.
spirited driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited driver View Post
I love my 09 Evo-R, it's a GREAT all around board, BUT, I have read that this year's Evo/Revolver is quite a bit softer than last year's, so you may want to contact NS before purchasing it as a do everything board.
Or get an SL-R!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree there isnt enough difference between a Revolver and a Legacy to warrant two boards...if you were going to go for Park and Pow i'd get Revolver and a Premier F1.

Im 145 and even on just a 151 SL-R i can float powder like no tommorrow out here in Oregon...we got quite a few good 2"+ days out here last year i got first tracks on and man was it orgasmic...

Last edited by arsenic0; 08-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote