All-mountain boot/binding recommendations? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Oatmeal

Default All-mountain boot/binding recommendations?

I saved up and bought myself a Custom X in the off-season, and I'd like to know if anybody has any recommendations for some good, stiff, responsive boots and bindings that'll last for seasons to come. Money isn't really an issue, but within $300 or so each (on-season prices) would be nice.

Of course, the board's ICS, so if there's any worthwhile Burton EST bindings I should know about, tell me! Otherwise, I've got the baseplates for anything else (unless I'm mistaken and I can't just put an ICS baseplate in any other type or brand of binding).

I've been looking at the Burton Ruler boot, and it looks pretty nice - stiff, comfy, fair price - but I'm very confused about it after reading reviews on different sites.

Actually, I'm confused on just about all snowboard gear after reading so many reviews. Some say it's AWESOME! and some say it SUCKS! but I just say I DON'T KNOW! because I'm too much of a wuss to buy and find out for myself. I'd rather just get it right the first time.

(DISCLAIMER: I like Burton gear, it's been good to me and they seem like a quality brand, but I'm not some kind of Burton-crazy freak man, so please don't label me as such. I'm definitely open to other-brand suggestions. You may really hate Burton. You may have fantasies about rampaging into a Burton factory with a shotgun, huge machinegun or nuclear bomb. And you know what? That's OK. I can go on liking the brand until I have reason not to. But you know what? That's OK, too. Don't worry about it.
Also, this is my first post, and on all forums, always, I say something stupid or post something stupid - this entire post is probably absolutely butt-frickin' retarded - and some forum-nerd man always says something like, "You made and entire thread about THIS?! BAN!" And then I always say, "HOLY FECAL MATTER! SORRY." or "My bad... SORRY." So if this thread sends you into a rage in which you want to get your shotgun and find me, just go outside and walk it off for a little bit, then please come back and give me a helpful reply. I hate it when imaginary people on the internet bring me down and make me feel like an idiot, and it would be awesome if you could please refrain from doing so. Then maybe we could be each other's imaginary friend! Sweet.)

Thanks for the help!
-Oatmeal

Last edited by Oatmeal; 08-15-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Oatmeal

Awfully sorry for the bump, which all the angry, imaginary forum-nerds really hate and always yell and get mad at me for, but what are these 'Credits' that appear under my number of posts? Do they do something so important that my house will blow up if I don't know or should I just walk it off and not worry about it?

Last edited by Oatmeal; 08-15-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

The more times you mention burton the more points you get, thats why burton avenger has so many points and is always trying to find new inovative ways to get more burton.

I have a burton ics board and I have no problems with it but then again I wouldnt know if there were better systems out there as I do not have the luxury to test them out I also use burton custom bindings which have given me no grief with my thirtytwo prospect boots. I would recommend that you buy your boots regardless of what any reviews say, not every boot will fit everyone the same so go with what YOU find the best, try on at least 5 pair, the more the better. burton
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oatmeal

I see. I also have the Customs and they've definitely been pretty nice, but then again I haven't really used anything else. Thanks for the tip on boots, though! I'll probably end up going to different stores and shops this winter to just try on a bunch of different boots and not buy anything (because I'll do that on these here innernets during the off-season next year).

Like half of the bad innernet reviews on Burton boots (Did I just get a credit there?) have to deal with their Speed Zone lacing deal. My Motos have this feature and, yeah, I have kind of noticed that the laces do get a little loose sometimes, but you just have to get 'em on nice and tight the first time or readjust them after a couple hours. No problem, not a big deal, I still love 'em because they're so quck to get on and off.

I guess I'll take your suggestion and find out on my own for this one. Definitely gonna check out that there Ruler boot, but we'll see what else comes up. I'm not much of a whiner (except sometimes), so I'll probably like any kind of boot/binding setup (Unless it's a complete downgrade from my current one. Then I'd just sort of be disappointed, especially if it costed more. That's when I tend to whine.) that I end up with.

Thanks for the good advice!
-Your Breakfast

Last edited by Oatmeal; 08-15-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bindings, go with Union. Sounds like money isn't a issue so why not get the most bang for you buck! Unions will outlast any binding on the market. As far as boots, personal pref. What ever is the most comfortable.
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oatmeal

Awesome, I'll have to look into those. Like I said in the first post, I can just swap out the ICS baseplate with any binding and it'll work fine, right? I mean, I don't see why not, but you never know.

Just checked out their website and my first impression of them is definitely pretty good. I like it when companies make one thing. They tend to do it a lot better than when you've got this smorgasbord of random stuff (like Burton, Ride, Flow, Forum, K2, Rome, DC, M3, etc.).

Anyway - Sweet! Awesome! Excellent! Thank you!
Just slapped that bad boy right there onto my Favorites bar.

I gotta say, that Force SL looks pretty sweet. They say they're a product-based company instead of a market-based company. Definitely sounds good to me.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 08-15-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

there is no evidence Unions last any longer than any other bindings. why people continue to say such things is beyond my understanding. if you're going to say something like that please back it up with some facts. that being said union makes great binders BUT you can't really use them with ICS. the discs that are provided with ICS boards are so you can use any Burton binding with the board, you can jerry rig unions to work but its not a perfect fit. the diameter of the discs and the teeth shape/size vary from brand to brand. this should have been clearly outlined when you bought the board

So as far bindings i would recommend the C02's, either the est version or the regular. the highback is quite stif but doesn't have any bite to it in my opinion and the straps are very comfortable.

boots, thats a tougher call. the most important factor is fit. there is a lot of good info on here and at boardworld.com.au for finding the right fit. the flex is secondary, if they don't fit right then they will cause pain. find boots that fit first, then if two seem to fit pick the stiffer ones.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

i love union bindings but since you already went the ics route, why not stick to an est setup? i've also heard it mentioned that if you use non burton bindings on an ics board it voids the warranty? im not saying it does, im just saying i heard it, maybe someone can confirm
return2heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Oatmeal

Seeing as I have gone the ICS route, how about the Cartel EST? A lot of imaginary people on the internet seem to like the Cartels, and I wouldn't think the EST version would be worse or very different (besides - you know - the whole EST deal). No, money isn't really an issue, but the Co2's are really kind of up there - like $400. The Cartels are like $260, and at a 30-50% discount it wouldn't be bad at all.

I see that I must be mistaken with the baseplate switching, though. That's unfortunate. Oh, well. Anyway, for boots I think I'm just gonna look around this winter and buy in the summer. Thanks to all of you for the help with this.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneato View Post
there is no evidence Unions last any longer than any other bindings. why people continue to say such things is beyond my understanding. if you're going to say something like that please back it up with some facts. that being said union makes great binders BUT you can't really use them with ICS. the discs that are provided with ICS boards are so you can use any Burton binding with the board, you can jerry rig unions to work but its not a perfect fit. the diameter of the discs and the teeth shape/size vary from brand to brand. this should have been clearly outlined when you bought the board

So as far bindings i would recommend the C02's, either the est version or the regular. the highback is quite stif but doesn't have any bite to it in my opinion and the straps are very comfortable.

boots, thats a tougher call. the most important factor is fit. there is a lot of good info on here and at boardworld.com.au for finding the right fit. the flex is secondary, if they don't fit right then they will cause pain. find boots that fit first, then if two seem to fit pick the stiffer ones.

Watch this video :
Union Tech

I can almost guarantee that unions will at last any other binding because of the tech that is put into them and they way there are constructed. The only way a burton binding will at last a union binding is if you never took the burton bindings out of the box.
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote