Beginner Help Choosing Board ! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elektra420

Default Beginner Help Choosing Board !

Hey guys, ive been snowboarding about 3 times, but it was 10 years ago . I have now moved somewhere that i live on a mountain and really want to get into it. Im a female and im 5'10 and 135 lbs i wear a size 10 in men MX boot ( i figure the size would be close to snowboard boot . ) My buddy would sell me his 07 burton air w/ bindings for $150, or i found this package on ebay FLOW VENUS Snowboard+Bindings+Boots NEW 143 147 151 155 - eBay (item 400067306204 end time Aug-17-09 19:48:00 PDT). I have heard good things about flows bindings but im not sure about the boards. Also i think a 9.5 womens would be too small for me but i dont know for sure. My spending rage is about $280 total, that means boots board + bindings. Are the flow / dub/ any of those cheap package dealies you can find on ebay any good? i dont want to get a board that im going to want to get rid of after a couple times use. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Help from industry vetran

hi i owned a shop for 22yrs and still work in industry. the boots would be too small, you need a wmns 10.5-11 if you wear a mens 10 alpinestar/mx boot. boots i reccomend going to local shop and get either a wmns specific boot or mens 9.5-10 that fits tight. For a board i would diffently get a new rocker board, it makes it so much more forgiving to go edge to edge. The best is wmns boards with rocker tech are the Never Summer infinity or lotus
The Chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elektra420

so i would have to buy teh bindings / board/ boots all seperate then, what is the main difference between a womans and a mans board? im big for a girl lol ( not fat, just big feet + tall. )Also keep in mind i can only spend about 280, those boards cost more then that alone lol.

Last edited by Elektra420; 08-17-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

the main differece is a womens board generally has a narrower shape and a softer flex. you dont have to buy everything seperatly but boots i would try on before you buy
Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elektra420

the package's max size boot is only a 9.5 womens which will be way too small for me =/
Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Rule 1) Do not buy snowboarding boots without trying them on
Rule 2) Do not ever buy snowboarding boots without trying them on
Rule 3) Your wasting your money if you buy snowboarding boots without trying them on

Now that we have that out of the way, what size is the Burton Air board? For someone your size you'll probably want a 151 board or somewhere around there.

Assuming his board is around that size(149-153) and in reasonable condition i'd say talk him down to 150 and then find some nice boots on sale for 130 bucks. Your best bet is to wait until we are closer to season and figure out what size boots you need by going into a shop and trying a bunch of manufacturers on..they will ALL fit differently as everyones foot is shaped different..and whats size 9 to one company may be closer to a 9 1/2 for another depending on the form factor of the boot...

Then either buy some on sale, or better yet if your on a budget look on craigslist ..you can almost always find people selling their 1-2 year old boots to upgrade to new ones...hell i even have some like new Burton Hails from 2007 i only rode 10 times i meant to sell last year for 50 bucks...

I would stay away from most of those ebay combo deals. You can usually get a comparable deal for lower end stuff at a local sports shop like REI or Sports Authority....but at least then you can physically see it and make sure you get properly fitting boots...and if it doesnt work out you can return them.

You can learn to snowboard with a slightly long or short snowboard, or softer/stiffer bindings, with cheap or ill-fitting boots your feet will be crying for mercy within an hour. Once you snowboard more you will start to realize what you want to do, whether it be park riding with softer bindings & shorter boards, or more free-riding down the hill and in the tree's with longer boards and stiffer bindings...

Last edited by arsenic0; 08-17-2009 at 05:46 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

You might be better off just getting your buddy's air and spending the rest on some good boots that fit you right. my wife has a womens 10 and rides a burton custom which is about the same width as an air, so it should work for your foot size. sorry i didnt look at your budget before.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elektra420

Yeah this way i figure i could get some really nice boots from a store instead of guessing with some ones online. Plus i dont want to have to get a new board after a few months where as with a burton i most likely wont want to. Curse having big feet it ruins everything haha. My buddy said he'll give me the burton air + bindings + freestyle boots for 150 shipped, thats kinda cheap lol. His board is a 153.

Last edited by Elektra420; 08-17-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You may have big feet for a woman but not really for mens sizing..so you shouldnt have any issues finding a board...you can ride mens boards no problem..as stated womens boards are typically just built a bit different because their body shape(hips) changes their center of gravity, among other things, but its not a huge difference i dont think(dont quote me)
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elektra420

im going to go to a store tomorrow and see if i can get into a mens 9, if i can ill get the burton air + bindings + freestyle boots for 180