Need some help deciding - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
intineus

Default Need some help deciding

Hey guys. I've been riding now for about five or six years and it's about time for a new board. I'm looking at either the Burton X8 or the Burton Custom ICS. My question to you guys is this. I can either get a used 2008 Burton X8 with EST bindings or a new 2009 Burton Custom with non EST Burton bindings (which both end up being about the same price). If you guys had the choice, which would you choose? Some background info about me. I'm about 5'10", 150 lbs, 22 years old so not really growing anymore and these two boards are pretty much as much as I'm looking to spend right now. I'm looking for an all around type of board that I can pretty much do anything with (terrain park, free riding, etc). If you guys think one of these boards (or a different board) would fit me better, I appreciate any input. Thanks for everyones' help!

Last edited by intineus; 08-19-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well if you want to save a lot of money look elsewhere than burton, They're an overpriced and overhyped company that forces you to pay for the name more than the quality of the product. Try taking a look at

to name a few companies off the top of my head.

GNU
Libtech
Neversummer
Rome
Capita
Stepchild
K2
Omatic

A few boards you might like

GNU Street- I actually used this as my all-mountain board last year, personally I think it's miss-labeled as a jib stick as it more than handles the mountain.
K2 Jibpan
Neversummer EVO
Neversummer SL-R
Libtech Skate Banana
GNU Carbon High Beam
Rome Agent
Libtech Travis Rice

a few decks that come to mind

Last edited by Method; 08-19-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
Well if you want to save a lot of money look elsewhere than burton, They're an overpriced and overhyped company that forces you to pay for the name more than the quality of the product.
Please.

If you've got a good deal on the Custom, then why not?

Custom is wicked fun, can ride em anywhere, I loved it. Last year's IMO looks awesome too. Haven't ridden an X8 so can't comment there
DiscoStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Screw the big B... Get a Never Summer EVO-R and kill it all!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

questioning burtons quality is stupid. show me some data that their quality is less than anyone else. i would get the x8 with the est bindings. both boards are similar in scope and purpose but you get a bit more adjustabillity with the est bindings. with regualr burton bindings the disc you use on ics boards only gives you 3 toe to heel centering options.
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneato View Post
questioning burtons quality is stupid. show me some data that their quality is less than anyone else. i would get the x8 with the est bindings. both boards are similar in scope and purpose but you get a bit more adjustabillity with the est bindings. with regualr burton bindings the disc you use on ics boards only gives you 3 toe to heel centering options.
Not really... All manufacturer's have there ups/downs. I have given Burton it's fair share of tries on MANY different products over the years. I personally haven't liked much. Hell my first board was a Brushie!!! It was GREAT. I just don't see the same quality in anything they put out. The RED stuff sucks, look how many park rats have fogged up anon's, every one of my analog garmets has fallen apart and I went through 2 pairs of "09 Custom" bindings in 2 days (thank gawd for the BC warranty so I could send that crap back). This is my personal opinion. I just think people should keep the options open and not be Burton this and Burton that... Just my $.02, and I have spent 1000's on Burton's products over the years and a LOT last year! Glad I got MOST of my $ back!

Last edited by FLuiD; 08-19-2009 at 05:06 PM.
FLuiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Personally its not that I question Burtons quality, its that I question Burtons Quality to price ration. Sure the X8 is a good board, but for the money you can get a board thats just as good (or better) PLUS bindings. To name two boards for $100less that I would choose over the X8: Jibpan, Mod. For $200 less a Believer.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLuiD View Post
Screw the big B... Get a Never Summer EVO-R and kill it all!!!
spirited driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneato View Post

Learn to read, nobody said their quality was less than anyone else. What was said was their quality is basically the same as everyone else and yet they charge 70-100bucks more on avg then everybody else.

Last edited by Method; 08-19-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLuiD View Post
Not really... All manufacturer's have there ups/downs. I have given Burton it's fair share of tries on MANY different products over the years. I personally haven't liked much. Hell my first board was a Brushie!!! It was GREAT. I just don't see the same quality in anything they put out. The RED stuff sucks, look how many park rats have fogged up anon's, every one of my analog garmets has fallen apart and I went through 2 pairs of "09 Custom" bindings in 2 days (thank gawd for the BC warranty so I could send that crap back). This is my personal opinion. I just think people should keep the options open and not be Burton this and Burton that... Just my $.02, and I have spent 1000's on Burton's products over the years and a LOT last year! Glad I got MOST of my $ back!
Umm just to let you know, Anons never fog.....EVER unless of course your lenses are 5 years old. Burton boards are pretty baller as well, they do a pretty good job in that department. It just when it comes to boots and bindings that burton can shove it up their A$$
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote