Advice On a Park Board! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice On a Park Board!

It board buying time again! With all these clearance sales going on at board shops I have convinced myself to throw down some money for a new board. You guys did a great job helping find my last board that I've decided to ask you again.

This time I'm looking for a park board. Here's a little info about myself. I've always owned longer and stiffer boards for charging the mountain, surfing down pow and rippin through trees but last year I started hitting the park a little and loved it even though I'm not that great (...yet). I am a pretty experience rider outside of the park but in the park I'm only able to do simple rails, most grabs and can sometimes throw a 360 if I'm feeling confident that day.

I'm looking for a softer more playful board that's easy to butter and jib but not so soft that I'm landing on a wet noodle when I'm hitting larger jumps. I also like boards with quite a bit of camber but honestly I don't know what profile is better for park. I also want this board to be half decent on groomers and easier tree runs in case I feel the itch to leave the park and am too lazy to grab my other board.

What do you guys think of the GNU Space Case? I have been recommended it by a few shops now. I was also recommended the Burton Name Dropper but I don't think the guy was paying attention to what I wanted because it is the softest board I've ever seen. Also, what size do you recommend? I am 5'7" and 170lbs and my current board is a Yes PYL 161. I know I want a shorter board but I don't know how short.

Thanks in advance for your replies. If you have any questions let me know.
Ace of Spades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 03:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

defiantly want a Capita Charlie Slasher or Never Summer Chairman.

end of thread
Rotcoddam411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sabotage or The Villain.
kosmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh you want a much shorter board for park, 161 cm for your stats is huge.
You probably will be much more happy with the spins and jibbing with a board around 152-154 cm. Since i have done my research this year due breaking my evil twins' tail, I'll post some boards:
Arbor Westmark Snowboard Review & Buying Advice
Lib Tech Hot Knife Snowboard Review & Buyers Guide
Rome Reverb Rocker Snowboard Review and Buyers Advice
Rome Mod Rocker Snowboard Review and Buyers Guide
Salomon Aassassin Review and Buying Guide
Salomon Villain Snowboard Review & Buyers Guide
I went with Lib tech Fundamental Gateway myself, I would've gotten the pickle but I digged gateways' graphic a bit more and the tech is pretty much the same, except I could get it for 100 bucks cheaper. 6'2 and 190 lbs myself, went with 156, had had a 158, 154 and 157 before. I can definitely say that I have felt most comfortable with Forum Destroyer which was 154(wide). So shorter is better when your main focus is in park, it is a lot easier to throw around.

Last edited by Matuuh; 02-18-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Matuuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotcoddam411 View Post
defiantly want a Capita Charlie Slasher or Never Summer Chairman.

end of thread
I've never ridden either of these brands but I'll look into them. I've heard good things about Never Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmoz View Post
Sabotage or The Villain.
I demoed quite a few Salmon boards earlier this year including The Villain and I wasn't a huge fan of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matuuh View Post
Oh you want a much shorter board for park, 161 cm for your stats is huge.
You probably will be much more happy with the spins and jibbing with a board around 152-154 cm. Since i have done my research this year due breaking my evil twins' tail, I'll post some boards:
Arbor Westmark Snowboard Review & Buying Advice
Lib Tech Hot Knife Snowboard Review & Buyers Guide
Rome Reverb Rocker Snowboard Review and Buyers Advice
Rome Mod Rocker Snowboard Review and Buyers Guide
Salomon Aassassin Review and Buying Guide
Salomon Villain Snowboard Review & Buyers Guide
I went with Lib tech Fundamental Gateway myself, I would've gotten the pickle but I digged gateways' graphic a bit more and the tech is pretty much the same, except I could get it for 100 bucks cheaper. 6'2 and 190 lbs myself, went with 156, had had a 158, 154 and 157 before. I can definitely say that I have felt most comfortable with Forum Destroyer which was 154(wide). So shorter is better when your main focus is in park, it is a lot easier to throw around.
The Lib tech hot knife looks interesting. Are you happy with your Gateway?

Do you guys think a 153 or 156 would be a better length for me in the park? Is there anyone who has ridden a Space Case? I would really like to hear someones opinion on that board.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What didn't you like about the Salomons?

My shortish list for you:
Burton Parkitect or Process Off Axis, Slash Happy Place or Paxson, Yes Jackpot, Flow Whiteout, DC Mega, Niche Knew, or a Rome Reverb Camber.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
What didn't you like about the Salomons?

My shortish list for you:
Burton Parkitect or Process Off Axis, Slash Happy Place or Paxson, Yes Jackpot, Flow Whiteout, DC Mega, Niche Knew, or a Rome Reverb Camber.
At the time of demoing the Salmons I was looking for my first board which was a fast charging freeride board and the guy at the tent gave me the Assassin because its their most popular board . I can see it as an ok all mountain board but it didn't impress me especially for what I wanted. Then he gave me the Man Board which has an awesome graphic and its meant for what I wanted in a board but it felt heavier than I wanted and I couldn't control it as well as I wanted in the tight trees. I then tried The Villain just to mess around on and it was fun and playful but I think it was a little to soft for me. Honestly it was the end of the day and early season so I didn't have time to take it to the park where it could show me what its made of.

I really like my PYL so I'll look into the the Jackpot. The Niche and Rome also look pretty cool. What board do you ride for the park Nivek and what do you like about it?
Old 02-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Will let you know, will get to bring it on a mountain on a tuesday when I get off work, never had a rocker board before though. But it is beautiful though and flex seems medium, expected it to be a bit more softer though. But for length 153 instead of 156 for park definitely. You could probably go as short as 150 if you are more into jibbing. But 153 would be versatile enough for you. What is your boot size though, because that matters as well?
Maybe look into:
http://thegoodride.com/snowboard-rev...buying-advice/
http://nitrousa.com/en-gb/board/t15
http://nitrousa.com/en-gb/board/cinema-ii

Last edited by Matuuh; 02-21-2015 at 06:58 AM.
Matuuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned!

From NS you could ride a Proto, Evo, or Funslinger for what youre looking to do. The Chairman is a plank dude was fuckin witcha. That Capita is a pow stick.

The Proto will handle bigger jumps better than the other 2, but they will hold up to like medium 20-30 footers.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
From NS you could ride a Proto, Evo, or Funslinger for what youre looking to do. The Chairman is a plank dude was fuckin witcha. That Capita is a pow stick.

The Proto will handle bigger jumps better than the other 2, but they will hold up to like medium 20-30 footers.
I've actually found the Funslinger to be much better on jumps than the Proto. I'd recommend the Funslinger to a beginning park rider.

I'd look at the Capita Outsiders, or Thunderstick if you want something softer, the Outdoor living if you want something flat and predictable. Salmomon Villian, DC PLY, Stepchild Kam Knife, Ride Buck Up, Ride Kink...there are so many good boards out there, you just have to find a camber profile that works with your style of riding and the tricks you want to be doing.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote