Would a 139 or 146 board fit me better? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
CkcJsm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Would a 139 or 146 board fit me better?

Hello,
I went looking at snowboards today and there are two snowboards that I like and are at the right price for me. I'm a female 5'2 and around 115 pounds, but the only two sizes that were left were 139 or 146 in length. Which snowboard would fit me best? I am a beginner at snowboarding. 139 was a bit shorter then my chin (had converse shoes on) but 146 was taller than my chin. It was a k2 snowboard and the 146 was a lot heavier then then 139. Also,I dislike going fast(wimpy : ( ). In the future when I get better, I would like to just cruise and ride around the park. I mostly prefer being able to control my board and speed.
Thanks! : )
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
mOnky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 378
Default

I'm a guy standing short @ 5' lol.. but i weigh 125lbs & i ride a 148.. What model K2 were these boards? U also mention cruising around the park.. do u mean u want to cruise & go in the park or go around (as in avoid) the park LOL

IMO don't strictly follow the chin rule but go with the 139 if u feel the 146 is too heavy & u have no other choices
mOnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,610
Default

I'd go with the 139. The 146 would feel like a 2x4 given your weight.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lilfoot1598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 799
Default

How many times have you gone snowboarding? Over time, I'm sure you will develop confidence and lose your fear of speed. To me, the park is a hell of a lot scarier than speed! I wouldn't purchase a board in the interest of minimizing speed - you ride the board after all, it doesn't ride you!

If you are sure that you will be spending most of your time in the park, get the shorter board. Otherwise get the longer board. Remember that you don't choose board length based on your height - you choose board length based on weight, riding style, and personal preference. For reference - I weigh 105 pounds. My first board was a 143 and my new board is a 145.

Are you stuck with such a small selection of sizes because you are buying from a store? Have you considered looking online? Perhaps you'll find a better selection there. If you don't mind me asking, which K2 are you considering?
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
CkcJsm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
How many times have you gone snowboarding? Over time, I'm sure you will develop confidence and lose your fear of speed. To me, the park is a hell of a lot scarier than speed! I wouldn't purchase a board in the interest of minimizing speed - you ride the board after all, it doesn't ride you!

If you are sure that you will be spending most of your time in the park, get the shorter board. Otherwise get the longer board. Remember that you don't choose board length based on your height - you choose board length based on weight, riding style, and personal preference. For reference - I weigh 105 pounds. My first board was a 143 and my new board is a 145.

Are you stuck with such a small selection of sizes because you are buying from a store? Have you considered looking online? Perhaps you'll find a better selection there. If you don't mind me asking, which K2 are you considering?

Thanks you are very helpful!
I went snowboarding 3 times I think. I used to go skiing before this, we went skiing every year since I was 5 or 6? We picked up snowboarding this year lol. And on skies I was always scared to go really fast(when I get out of control). I never got over that fear on skies : (. So, I don't think I would get over that far. (I love how on snowboards when you fall its way easier to get up!!!!)
It was a pink k2 model. I forgot what the name was. If I buy it, I think I will get the 139 one. Also, is it okay if my boots go over the edge? Because I was trying on some boots and then I measured it on the board and it went over a bit.
Oh, and this is the only snowboard shop near my house, others they only sell snowboards when its seasonal.
Thanks again! : D
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lilfoot1598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkcJsm View Post
Thanks you are very helpful!
I went snowboarding 3 times I think. I used to go skiing before this, we went skiing every year since I was 5 or 6? We picked up snowboarding this year lol. And on skies I was always scared to go really fast(when I get out of control). I never got over that fear on skies : (. So, I don't think I would get over that far. (I love how on snowboards when you fall its way easier to get up!!!!)
It was a pink k2 model. I forgot what the name was. If I buy it, I think I will get the 139 one. Also, is it okay if my boots go over the edge? Because I was trying on some boots and then I measured it on the board and it went over a bit.
Oh, and this is the only snowboard shop near my house, others they only sell snowboards when its seasonal.
Thanks again! : D
If you won't be going fast and you'll be in the park a lot, I think the 139 would be fine. Your boots can hang over the edge a tiny bit, but too much will prevent you from being able to turn. When you measured with your boots on the board, did you put your boots at an angle like they would be when you're riding? If you're not sure, ask the someone at the shop to take a look at your boot.

A pink board? Is it the K2 Moment? Be sure to research the board you want online to make sure you are making the right choice. If you ski already, you will probably learn to snowboard quickly. The K2 Moment is a good board, but you might grow out of it after just a few weeks or months. Another great board to consider is the K2 Luna, which is still a beginner board, but you will probably progress on it more quickly.

Consider buying from websites like Snowboards, Skis, Clothing, Backpacks & Travel Gear - US Outdoor, Skis, Snowboards, Wakeboards, and Apparel | evo, REI: Deals on Outdoor Gear, Equipment and Clothing for Camping, Cycling, Fitness, Hiking, Kayaking and More, and www.sierrasnowboard.com. They are very trustworthy and they have lots of boards on sale right now.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
CkcJsm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
If you won't be going fast and you'll be in the park a lot, I think the 139 would be fine. Your boots can hang over the edge a tiny bit, but too much will prevent you from being able to turn. When you measured with your boots on the board, did you put your boots at an angle like they would be when you're riding? If you're not sure, ask the someone at the shop to take a look at your boot.

A pink board? Is it the K2 Moment? Be sure to research the board you want online to make sure you are making the right choice. If you ski already, you will probably learn to snowboard quickly. The K2 Moment is a good board, but you might grow out of it after just a few weeks or months. Another great board to consider is the K2 Luna, which is still a beginner board, but you will probably progress on it more quickly.

Consider buying from websites like Snowboards, Skis, Clothing, Backpacks & Travel Gear - US Outdoor, Skis, Snowboards, Wakeboards, and Apparel | evo, REI: Deals on Outdoor Gear, Equipment and Clothing for Camping, Cycling, Fitness, Hiking, Kayaking and More, and www.sierrasnowboard.com. They are very trustworthy and they have lots of boards on sale right now.
OMG IT IS!!! Thank you so much! I really appericate it. I prefer seeing it in person though. But I will definitly get it online if I can't find my size. I also saw another snowboard too, but it was silver with other colors on it.
Also, my brothers thinking of getting one too. He saw a white snowboard and had a black wing eagle design on it. He says it was teen something? He doesnt remember. Do you happen to know what snowboards those are?
Thank you again!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lilfoot1598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkcJsm View Post
OMG IT IS!!! Thank you so much! I really appericate it. I prefer seeing it in person though. But I will definitly get it online if I can't find my size. I also saw another snowboard too, but it was silver with other colors on it.
Also, my brothers thinking of getting one too. He saw a white snowboard and had a black wing eagle design on it. He says it was teen something? He doesnt remember. Do you happen to know what snowboards those are?
Thank you again!
I think you will be fine on a K2 Moment 139, especially if you are getting a good price for it. If money isn't a big concern, consider waiting a month or two, when the new boards come out. When the snowboarding shop gets new boards in, you will have a lot of sizes and brands to choose from.

I don't know what those other boards are. Your brother could call the shop for the name of the board, then come back here to ask about it or just research it on his own.

Also, the style of board you get is really important - you shouldn't pick boards just based on what looks nice.

Glad I could help! Choosing a snowboard can be very overwhelming!
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
CkcJsm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks.
Yea, moneys an issue xD. We wanted a board that was 150, but their wasnt any their except for kids boards. My brother took a picture of the board though, but I dont know where he put it.
Now, I just need boots and bindings. I went last time and they only had one shoe around my size. They sized me up. It was burtons and ugly haha. And they said it was for "advanced" snowboarders (I didn't know their was a difference between beginners boots or advnaced haha)But, it was extremelty hard to put my feet in and my toes touched the front of the boot. I read online that it was supposed to feel "snug" and my toes were supposed to touch the front. Argh. Is it supposed to be hard to put my feet in the boots?
Thanks again =)This is the last question I promise!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
lilfoot1598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkcJsm View Post
Thanks.
Yea, moneys an issue xD. We wanted a board that was 150, but their wasnt any their except for kids boards. My brother took a picture of the board though, but I dont know where he put it.
Now, I just need boots and bindings. I went last time and they only had one shoe around my size. They sized me up. It was burtons and ugly haha. And they said it was for "advanced" snowboarders (I didn't know their was a difference between beginners boots or advnaced haha)But, it was extremelty hard to put my feet in and my toes touched the front of the boot. I read online that it was supposed to feel "snug" and my toes were supposed to touch the front. Argh. Is it supposed to be hard to put my feet in the boots?
Thanks again =)This is the last question I promise!
It can be hard to put your foot into the boot, just like a ski boot. Your big toe should just barely touch the front of the boot without squishing the toes or hurting them at all. Boots are very important. If your boots aren't comfortable, you won't have any fun! Try on as many boots as you can and choose the most comfortable one. When a boot is "advanced" it means that the boot probably has fancier features and is more expensive. Don't worry about that. Just find a boot that is comfortable, that fits you well, and that you can flex easily. I think most snowboarding boots are ugly. That's okay, because your pants will cover them up!

Don't worry about asking too much questions. It's good to know about equipment before you buy, because everything costs a lot of money.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums