Trying to get as many opinions as possible... New board time. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
WheresTheSnow?

Default Trying to get as many opinions as possible... New board time.

So ive been riding a Burton Blunt (151cm) for a few years now and i want to move up to a nicer board for all around mountain. Im 15, weigh 130 lbs (still growing) and think i would want a 154cm or so sized board. Ive been looking at the burton custom X, custom, and the vrocker custom and i have a few questions.

1. How does the custom X stack up against the custom besides its extra stiffness?

2. Is the X really worth the 200ish extra williams over the custom or the vrocker custom?

3. How does that vrocker/reverse camber stuff affect my performance, speed, control, etc?

4. How many of you have taken rides on these boards? How was your experience with them?

Im sure you get a lot of these types of questions on the forum... im just getting as many different opinions as i can before i go and buy a board im going to keep for a long time.
I really think any of these boards would be great but i want the best one for what i want to do.

I like going fast... i race my friends all the time and like winning . Ive heard the custom X is faster, but stiffer so it performs a little worse than the custom in the park.

I want a fairly flexible board. Easily buttered, popped, etc. Im not really into rails YET but plan on getting into them this year. I will have about a 70/30 mountain/park time ratio.

Lastly, are there any suggestions anyone would have for any other types of boards i might want to look at? Im willing to go up to the price of the custom X ($750ish).

Thanks a ton,
JG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 05:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

man im loving my rocker.. i have a turbo dream its great... not sure how that helps you but definitely demo some boards..
brujito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

so you want to go super fast and have enough flex for the park? hhhhhmmmmmmmm...... sounds like quite the dillema. Look at something else other than burton and save yourself $200 and the embarassment of having those new shitty custom x graphics. Capita, Bataleon, Lib, Never Summer......
Woosenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Stay away from Burton and save yourself a LOT of money. Look into brands such as Rome,K2, Never Summer, Ride, Lib Tech.

I also ride Wawa. Can't wait to do some nightriding there.
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

indoor survival or stairmaster extreme
jtchompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rome agent!! exactly what your looking for. just bought one myself
neversummer evo-r or sl-r (alittle stiffer) <- also great boards

my advice on the reverse camber is def test a board with it first before you buy one, its not for everyone you either love it or hate it. just my $ .02
NYinfamous2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
WheresTheSnow?

Great feedback guys!
This really helps.

A few more questions though ...

I know you said get away from Burton, but what about the Joystick? Seems like a good board.

Any suggestions for bindings? ICS or standard. Ive heard from the guys up at eastern boarder that Burton Cartel is the way to go but its eastern boarder... so idk.

On size... i currently have a 151cm board. Im pretty happy with it. Im thinking of going up a few cm cuz im still growing. i wanna keep my new purchase for many glorious winters to come and not outgrow it. what are the advantages/disadvantages of shorter and longer boards?

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At 130 lb.s I dont think you should go much more than a 152. Im 140lbs. and 15 and I ride a 148
bubbachubba340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

From what you are saying I wouldnt get the Custom X, a standard Custom would suit your purposes just fine. I have a custom, and while the X is stiffer, the standard custom isnt exactly soft.

Consider the conditions you are riding in as well,

If you ride ice/hardpack then be wary of rocker, some designs will struggle to hold an edge. While some newer ones claim to have solved the issue, don't believe this until you try for yourself as personal preference comes into it somewhat.

If you ride powder, then rocker helps a lot with staying afloat, and upsize slightly to help with this as well. This is the reason I would consider getting a rockered board, not to replace my custom but to take full advantage of powder days where my slightly smaller than recommended custom can be a real punish.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

ok some advantages and disadvantages of board length are , a shorter board would be good for park easier to spin, lighter, can press easier, disadvantages - in powder you will have a ruffer time cuz you'll sink rather than float on the pow like a longer board will (causing fatigue and muscle cramps)
A longer board will glide over the pow easier, it will be more solid in hard turns and be less choppy when riding over choppy snow. it will also be faster. disadvantages - more effort to spin of jumps and might take alittle more effort getting from edge to edge when carving.

as for bindings my advice would def be stay away from burton bindings, i'll admit they do make a decent board , the custom and custom X are both good boards, but there bindings are GARBAGE, every pair of burton bindings I have had in the past broke within a season, snapped a high back off, cracked a heel cup, the ladders allllllways are get chewed up from there ratchet systems, meaning you have to replace them constantly, and out of there binding line up I hate the cartels the most, even adjusted they still put you in a forward lean, on your toes all the time,
I would say def take a look at the Rome Targas, the most adjustable bindings out there, very strong, very comfy can go from a flexy park binding to nice and stiff for double blacks in 2 sec just by adding or removing the inserts in the ankle strap.
NYinfamous2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote