Is weight or height more important? (size help) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
variable303

Default Is weight or height more important? (size help)

My specs:
-Male
-5'3" (160cm)
-140lbs
-Size 6 shoe(mens)
-Beginner/Intermediate
-All mountain preferred
-Southern California

As you can tell, I have some unusual measurements. So far, I've gotten a few opinions on what size board I should get, and they all seem to conflict. The problem seems to be that if I get a board that is proper for my weight, then it's way too long, and often too wide. However, if I get a board that matches my height, I'm too heavy for it... Basically, it seems like I have to choose between two evils. I guess I just wanted to get more opinions if possible.

Also, the last time I went riding was about 10 years ago. At the time, I'd consider myself between intermediate and advanced, since I could go all day on any run without ever falling. Not sure what I'd be like now though. Anyways, I'm not looking to get too crazy on the mountain, but I don't want to be too limited as to what I can do either. Price range that I'm looking at is no more than $500 for board/boots/binding. Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh yeah, main board I was looking at was actually this kids board. Would this be ok?

Save on Burton Custom Smalls Snowboard Wide 145 - Youth Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Last edited by variable303; 08-27-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Weight is more important. That board is too small for you. You need a 152-156, depending on how you use it.

Stay away from Burton, and get last years products and you will can have a pretty decent set up. Try on the boots. Get what fits the best.

Last edited by Bagels; 08-27-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
variable303

Well, if I get something like a 154, it'll come up to my forehead. Is that ok? Also, I've heard that longer boards are harder to control, which concerns me since I haven't gone in so long. Lastly, my weight tends to fluctuate between 130lbs and 140lbs.

Edit: Just curious, why should I stay away from Burton? From what I remember, they were a good name.

Last edited by variable303; 08-27-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Height really has nothing to do with your board size. Generally, the taller you are, the wider your stance will be, thus you need a longer board. Just get what your weight tells you to get.
Bagels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
variable303

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. Although, even the size calculators showed that I should be riding something around a 149 for my weight. I made a last minute edit on my earlier post regarding Burton boards too. Just wondering what was so bad about them. Thanks again for you help
Old 08-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Length calculators are funky. Two different calculators will give you two drastically different answers. Weight definitely matters far more than height - although the height myth is very prevalent. I'm short as well and my snowboard looks pretty long, but it's actually just right for my weight. I weigh 105 and ride a 145, which is actually on the longer end of what I can ride for all-mountain.

You are definitely not small enough to even consider a child's board. You wouldn't want to ride one anyway - they're generally poorly constructed.

Listen to the people who give you advice here. They know snowboarding and you can trust their opinions. For the most part.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Psh the true method is cock size x how much you bench press x how big your online ego is! Jeez!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Psh the true method is cock size x how much you bench press x how big your online ego is! Jeez!
I only ride a 155.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimster716 View Post
I only ride a 155.
So... you're a weakling with a tiny dick???

linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
Wow if thats right I should be rocking a 743873!
eastCOASTkills is offline   Reply With Quote