Help for a newb - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
joe_lemm

Default Help for a newb

Hey,

Im going to get into snowboarding and I was hoping you could help me out. I have snowboarded before, but I have no ideas what is good and what to stay away from. I wakeboard in the summer, and I have no fear so I have a very fast learning curve. Im going to spend a lot of time in the park hitting jumps, and a bit on rails. Im about 172cm tall and weigh about 130 lbs. Around $900 is the max price I could spend.

If you guys could recommend a few decent setups including boots and bindings and Canadian prices, it would be very very helpful.

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

^ its all online man just search. Youtube for general carving techniques is good and there are many calculations online for height/weight/ride and what board you should use. My only tip is WEAR your helmet....in the northeast i pretty much ride on ice all winter and my noggin didn't like the minor concussion - lesson learned
Razorecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
joe_lemm

Thanks for the reply.

I have snowboarded a couple times before, so i know how to carve and have even hit a couple little jumps. I have never shopped for a board or gear. I was thinking about a burton custom because it seems like a good all around board. Im going to be on rails in no time, so im also considering the clash.

Thanks
Joe
Old 08-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_lemm View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have snowboarded a couple times before, so i know how to carve and have even hit a couple little jumps. I have never shopped for a board or gear. I was thinking about a burton custom because it seems like a good all around board. Im going to be on rails in no time, so im also considering the clash.

Thanks
Joe
Tip: You don't have to hit the park to look cool in the snowboarding world, i mean i hit the park all the time, but a lot of people who are just starting out think they have to be in the park with the so called "big boys" to look cool. Personally, i would get solid on riding for like a season, maybe even a season in a half or until you can ride the crap out of a mountain and are comfortable on your board in different situation and conditions. I think this will make the park a breeze.
Volcom Outerwear
Giro Goggles
ATOTony76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

$900 for a board/binding/boot setup? you can easily get a top setup with that amount... 1 of my setup is like less than $300 bucks. but i stalk for deals all the time...

09 forum symbol 151cm - $120
08 ride delta mvmnt - $60
09 northwave legend sl - $60

Last edited by yusoweird; 08-29-2009 at 07:24 PM.
yusoweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
joe_lemm

Well im going to spend time in the park because thats just what i like to do. Hows this sound:

2009 Burton Blunt 155
2009 Burton freestyle binding
2009 Burton freestyle boot

I have had some trouble deciding what size of boot to use. My shoe size is 9.5 so from what I understand I should go with a 9.5 boot? And the medium binding for the 9.5 boot?

Thanks
Joe
Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

I honestly dont like burton bindings. they are not made to last. go with ride, they are like 10x more robust. i am looking at union bindings myself now. they look real solid too.
yusoweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
joe_lemm

Hmm, okay, possibly a very stupid question, but you can use different brand board/bindings/boots right? Im located in Ontario and I dont know many places that sell boards. Boardsports is one of the only ones I found online, located in Toronto. They dont have Ride bindings though.
I was just talking to a guy today who said to stay away from Ride, so it seems like personal preference is a big factor, just like with any sports/hobbies. I will definately look into the Ride bindings though. I definately want a twin board because I will be riding switch to work on it for wakeboarding. If you have any other suggestions on stores, boards, bindings or boots let me know.

Thanks
Joe
Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOTony76 View Post
Tip: You don't have to hit the park to look cool in the snowboarding world, i mean i hit the park all the time, but a lot of people who are just starting out think they have to be in the park with the so called "big boys" to look cool. Personally, i would get solid on riding for like a season, maybe even a season in a half or until you can ride the crap out of a mountain and are comfortable on your board in different situation and conditions. I think this will make the park a breeze.
Completely agree. I didn't touch the park and didn't even learn a 180 until my third season, but I could ride blacks at that point. However, having said that, some people, kids especially, sometimes just have a knack for freestyle terrain, so if they are brave and comfortable with the challenge, I say why not?
spirited driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
joe_lemm

2009 FLOW FLITE 3 ... how about these for bindings? Has anyone else had a problem with the burtons?

Joe