Burton bindings highback screw design flaw - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Burton bindings highback screw design flaw

Is it just me or the Burton's highback mounting mechanism is just a terrible design?

It uses that piece of sawtooth plastic to secure the highback rotation and lock the screw in at the same time. I haven't even used my bindings yet and the screw would come loose everytime I fold down my highback because the lock threads on the plastic are already wearing off from me adjusting the highback.

Does anyone know how to get replacements for those piece of s**t plastic? Burton do sucks...
yusoweird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not 100% sure what design your talking about... I have/had a pair of Burton Customs and they didn't have anything like your explaining?

My guess on fixing your problem would be blue loctite? Or even some sort of epoxy dabbed on there to allow the screw to move when wanted, but have enough "lock" to keep it from moving when you don't want it to.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, you know how the plastic part that the screws go into to mount the highback? Well, there are threads/ridges on the surface where the screw top touches when you tight them. Those same threads/ridges are also on the screws bottom. They are suppose to lock to each other once you tight the screws. Well, those threads on the plastic parts are so fragil that it is pretty much flat now. So now the screws will come loose everytime i fold down and lift up my high back. This was only my first time adjusting the high back and they are already flat and stop locking...

Old 08-29-2009, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
jjin

Sounds like the OP has some user faulted bindings. I know EXACTLY what part and "high back design" the OP is writing about.

Seems as though with your binding adjustment you didn't tighten your screws properly and the teeth on your adjuster stripped.

I for one own a set of 09' cartels and haven't had a single problem with them.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well how do you properly tighten a screw? theres only 1 way to tighten it... now that i am looking at the bindings more, it may seem like it was a customer returned item that have been adjusted before.

how many times have you adjusted you high back rotation? probably less than 10 times... but anyways, my point is that the plastic part is not made for many adjustments and that is why i think its a design flaw. all they had to do was add a metal ring/clip with those ridges to lock the screw instead of on the plastic. the bindings would be more robust...

by the way, i have the burton mission. maybe they use a cheaper plastic on those vs the cartels... they have the exact same design for mounting the high backs... but i still think they could have done better with the design...

Last edited by yusoweird; 08-29-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i know exactly what your talking about and i hate those things as well, one of the reasons i dont ride burton bindings anymore. no matter how tight i would tighten them or anything else i could think of to not make them move the screws would constantly come loose and then i would have to rotate my higbacks and tighten them again. its a very poor design in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thumbs down

Totally agree with you. I have Burton Mission Poncho Villas, same design same problem. It's especially worse for me because I rotate my highbacks so they are almost parallel to the edge of my board, which creates more strain on those screws to come loose.
The ones on my back foot need tightening almost every other day (from taking my foot out at the lift line, and pushing my highback flat so it's easier to skate without catching my foot on it).
Terrible design.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bindings.jpg (61.8 KB, 55 views)
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Trust me the plastic thing can take ALOT of abuse..when i was fiddling around trying to get my feet parrallel to the board edge i was tweaking those so bad it wasnt even funny...huge amounts of force as i tried wierd angles pulling one side back and one side forward, etc and screwing it in...once so much you couldnt even fold the highback down anymore..
I've since got it set right and they work fine... i have 09 Cartels...

Honestly i dont see how you can possibly grind those teeth down even if the screws are loose...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't have problems with the teeth grinding down or anything like that, they just come loose all the time since it's also a pivot point. Once it gets loose enough, then it can slip and rotate your highback back to the normal position (or too far forward or back).
I really wish I could pick up some Unions but man I'm pretty broke and mine do the job "well enough" so I'm stuck tightening those screws every other day.
chupacabraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

arsenic, its not the teeth that are grinding off. its the ridges of the plastic part that meets the screw, which keep the screws from loosening. if you remove the screw, you will know what we are talking about. But i suggest you DONT! because you WILL flatten those ridges and have our problem if you screw and unscrew it few more times...

Last edited by yusoweird; 08-29-2009 at 07:07 PM.