Board for my dad who's new to snowboarding. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Board for my dad who's new to snowboarding.

So I got my dad to go out and snowboard a few times last season using one of my other decks, He loves it now, he use to ski and he's been saying he enjoys snowboarding more. So now he's getting a pass this season and I want to get him a board of his own, He's still new obviously and in his early 50's. So he'll probably be sticking to groomers and perhaps some mellower powder spots. Do you guys have any suggestions on quality boards for that style of riding that wont kill the wallet?. I know sierra has a big sale going on right now and labor day is coming up so their will be some other big sales as well, perfect time to find him a board.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

my kids talked me into it 8 years ago and now 51...I want a park pickle, acid or grip. I've done the groomer, freeride and steep/deep stuff; now want something I can play on, i.e., switch, butters, ollies, boxes, smaller jumps and drops...instead of just hauling ass. Btw my skiier buds love the steep natural terrain gnarls and racing/blasting groomers stuff but don't do alot of the park things...so ask you dad what terrain and style he liked to ski cause he probably would do the same on a board.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 09-01-2009 at 05:52 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
my kids talked me into it 8 years ago and now 51...I want a park pickle, acid or grip. I've done the groomer, freeride and steep/deep stuff; now want something I can play on, i.e., switch, butters, ollies, boxes, smaller jumps and drops...instead of just hauling ass. Btw my skiier buds love the steep natural terrain gnarls and racing/blasting groomers stuff but don't do alot of the park things...so ask you dad what terrain and style he liked to ski cause he probably would do the same on a board.
Just pray he doesnt say Moguls!
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Just pray he doesnt say Moguls!
Actually, no worries there. this guy shows you how to do it.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/sno...k-extreme.html
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Yeah he actually liked to ski moguls haha , Back in his day moguls were the THING to do you know. But he keeps saying his knees can't handle it anymore so I'm almost certain he would just be doing groomers and some pow runs perhaps even some of the slightly steeper stuff through the trees. Something his old knees could probably handle when it's not really chopped up. I'll try to sneak in some inconspicious questions on what he used to ride and what he would probably ride now cause I actually want the board to be a surprise for him when the season starts, Right now he's thinking he'll just ride my old gnu altered genetics.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
robbied

I would just get him a mid/high-end all-mountain board.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbied View Post
I would just get him a mid/high-end all-mountain board.
Well yes that's what I'm thinking, But I'm looking for sugestions on specific boards here . Like for example I'm thinking of maybe getting him a skate banana but that may be a bit to soft for him and a bit on the expensive side unless I can find one of last year nanners, which would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Last edited by Method; 09-01-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
robbied

What size feet does he have, how much does he weigh, whats his height?
We need to know before we can recommend anything.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

last years Stairmaster extreme would have been killer as far as graphics go. This years Black Death is pretty tasteful.....
Woosenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

5'7 maybe 8, somewhere around 180. He has small feet so he doesn't need a wide. I could figure out the size easily. More or less just looking for a few suggestions on boards that aren't to expensive I'm thinking somwhere between 3 and 400 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosenheimer View Post
last years Stairmaster extreme would have been killer as far as graphics go. This years Black Death is pretty tasteful.....

Yea sierra had last years black death up, I was gonna snag it for him but they only have one in wide.