Advice on a new setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice on a new setup

First a rundown of the basics:

Height: 5'11
Weight: 160
Riding Style: Currently all-mountain/freeride, looking to expand my riding with some more jumps and looking for air off natural features. Maybe a box here and there.

Current Setup:
Last year I fell into ownership of a Custom X 160. I had Ion boots, and grabbed some C60 bindings dumb cheap. Because I got that gear so cheap, I figured I would ride it for the season, save some more cash, and buy a setup next year. It's a good board, the length was good for boarding Tuckermans Ravine and some nice pow I got at Jay but after half the season I knew I would want something shorter for next season.

Ideas on next setup
I'm looking to size down to a something in the 155ish range. I think it will help with transferring weight and getting strong pop (correct me if I'm wrong). I've heard good things about the Never Summer SL-R since 08/09 so I've always had an interest there. Ride Concept UL seemed to fit but I never rode it. Regardless, I'd like to hear about more lines. Bindings, I want something less stiff than the C60s I have. I checked out Targas and Forces and would like to hear about some other lines.

I guess that's all I can give without writing a book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

There are a bunch of boards out there that i would say sound like they would work great for you. If you are partial to the burton, i would go with something like the Burton Joystick or even this years custom (either v-rocker or standard camber) if you are not partial to brands there are a ton of other boards out there that could easily do what you want them to do. Whether it be this years k2 Slayblade or GNU's Carbon Credit. Let me know if this helps at all
TeamSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

TeamSR, thanks for that man. Definitely a start. I have no brand loyalty, haha. I'm just looking for a quality board. I hear a lot of the usual suspects talked about here, but I don't think I've seen the Slayblade brought up often.

After reading up on angrysnowboarder I can say that I want by next board to have R.C. tech and enjoy that mellow, playful feel that R.C can give. I'll look into what you mentioned and see if I can get my hands on one in a shop to check it out in person.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

my advice would be to demo the R.C. before you buy it because its not for everyone, some ppl feel its too much of a washed out ride and doesnt hold up as well at high speeds. its something that you either love or hate so before dumping a few hundred bucks on a deck with R.C. try to ride one first. also if your looking for a more playful deck then you might just want a more flexy one, the Custom X is stiff as shit, and theres a number of decks that are flexy and playful enough to mess around on but still dominate steeps and high speeds like the Rome Agent for example
NYinfamous2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wouldn't bother looking at the Concept UL that's more board than most people actually need. I love the way it rides but that price tag isn't for everyone. Slayblade's a solid recommendation for what you're looking to do, Sl R as always is as great option, if you want to go 3 stage rocker you could do the Turbo Dream as well. Salomon Grip or Nitro Rook would be 2 more to consider as well.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nice. Appreciate some more of the feedback.

BurtonAvenger, between the Grip and Rook is there one that would feel better on the hard-pack that i'll be getting in the East? Or, I'm I over-complicating the two shapes of the board. I'm leaning towards the Grip, it seems to have the ride personality that I'm looking for; more playful & the opposite of my custom x. Plus what your review said about it's pop was validated after I did some more digging around on the next about board.

Last edited by lopro; 09-04-2009 at 11:47 AM.
lopro is offline   Reply With Quote