Armour for snow park - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
spastic_camel

Question Armour for snow park

Hello all,

I have been snowboarding for about 2 years now on the slops and felt that I am ready for the park. I was going to just buy a helmet and go to the park, but I was recommended to get some armour cause it was very likely that I would break my bones at the park.

I have been advised to get wrist guards and knee pads as well as the armour shorts and upper body armour.

Could you guys make recommendations, or suggestions? I am very nervous now since I have always gone with the assumption that most people didn't really wear that much protective equipment underneath their jacket.

Your help and opinion is appreciated.

Thanks,
Spastic Camel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Definitely get a helmet, and some crash pants are a great choice too. Not only do the pants protect your tailbone if you eat it on a rail/ice etc, but they insulate your ass from the ice-cold chairlift seats.

As for the rest...It's up to you. I don't know many people that ride with upper armor even in the park.

Wristguards are another nice addition. I bought some Level gloves that have wrist protection built in.
Gnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

I cant speak for everyone but me personally I cant wear protective equiptment, I hate the feeling of bulkyness, and tight straps everywhere. I never wore any and never will it sounds dumb but I feel more safe without it, cuz if I do wear it thats all I think about, and constantly fixing them, loosing my focus making me more susceptible for a crash. if you feel you must wear something then a helmet and wrist gaurds. all the rest I wouldnt bother with tho.
NYinfamous2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ You sound like a typical jock talking about something you know nothing about.

Watch yourself with getting ass pads. Anything that has a huge hip protector has the tendency to ride up and move towards your ribs. Minimalist designs are actually key here. Try to find one thats just cover the tail bone area. As far as upper body Head actually makes a zip up vest that protects the spinal column down and has some padding over the hips. It's a tight fit that feels like a second skin.

Wrist guards are a joke, especially ones built into a glove. Most of those wrist guards if you fall drive the break point up and snap the arm in 2 places. There's one that's designed specifically for snowboarding and has a slew of pro athletes that it sponsors, can't think of the name of it but that'd be the only one I'd recommend.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

^ its called an opinion you dumb fuck
and you sound like a front of the class sitting know it all little bitch, do you even snowboard or do you just sit on the computer all day with your bifocals taking notes so you sound like you know what your talking about. haha
NYinfamous2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
sapphire_rodent

I would probably say it's up to the individual and what level or protection, or more accurately what level or risk you're willing to take.

I dislocated my shoulder on my first snowboard trip, so I tend to be careful with my joints. I'm also a fitness instructor and have worked at a post-P.T. facility before, mostly rehabing shoulder and knee joints. the most common 2-splint wrist glove won't help that well if you fall hard enough. The gloves listed below tend to feel better and provide me with decent support, but realistically wrist guards are a deterrant, not a full prevention mechanism.

I also ride streetbikes now, use to dirt bike, so I have armor left over from that.

Haven't been snowboarding that long, nor am I 18 anymore, so i would say i'm more cautious. I do a lot of free-riding and more of a speed person for now, but I wanted to get into park. My park gear is as follows:

Gyro Helmet
Fox Launch Suit (this is actually made for harder impact, i like it because my joints suck, and it gives a good back protector down to lower-back)
Fox Launch Suit / Upper Body Armor
Level Fly Protective Gloves
Level Fly Protective Snowboard Gloves, 2009
Demon Flex padded shorts (works well for me, doesn't ride up, cushions my backside well)
Demon Flex-Force Pro Low Padded Shorts, Men's 2009 - CLOSEOUT

Note: May be overkill to some, but personally learned from sports bike riding that its better to be a bit bulky and uncomfortable then to eat shit and break bones or loose skin.

XSportsprotective may have decent catalog of protective gear, but you can find better prices if you shop around.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Last edited by sapphire_rodent; 09-04-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinfamous2k2 View Post
^ its called an opinion you dumb fuck
and you sound like a front of the class sitting know it all little bitch, do you even snowboard or do you just sit on the computer all day with your bifocals taking notes so you sound like you know what your talking about. haha
I'm going snowboarding at 1 this afternoon, can you say that? It's ok go lift some weights and drink some HGH. Fucking meat head.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I'm going snowboarding at 1 this afternoon, can you say that? It's ok go lift some weights and drink some HGH. Fucking meat head.
YouTube - My New Haircut
Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah that's pretty much the way I picture this guy. Typical NYC guido claiming hardcore status cause he lives in a city.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I love that video. ALways can make you laugh
snowvols is offline   Reply With Quote