goggle lenses - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default goggle lenses

last season i was talking with one of my buddies and he was saying there are different lenses for different conditions.
i.e. low visibility storm weather, snowy, sunny and other conditions. i only have one pair of goggles/lenses but ive seen lots of different ones. ones that are glossy, some are orange, or green or metallic looking
i'm sure someone on here knows the differences between them , just looking for some input!
thanks
j.gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Goggle companies will have a chart with all of their different lenses and stuff.

Fuse Replacement Lenses at Smith OpticsŪ

There are the lenses available for my own model for example. Generally an all purpose lense does the job fine but a low light one can help a bit when conditions are bad. They don't give you super X-Ray night vision or anything tho, just help to enhance contrast in certain types of conditions which can help you spot that mogul that inevitably sends you flying.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You basically want to look at the goggle lens specs and see what the VLT %, or how much light they allow through..as well as any other enhancements like improved contrast.

In general a high VLT between 80-100% are for night skiing, or darker/dreary conditions. Personally i prefer these types out here in Oregon because most of our good snow days it is very overcast with dark clouds, and sometimes foggy at the top. Clear lenses, and usually yellow lenses are in this category, depending on manufacturer.

Lenses like Persimmon(orangish) are in the 50-60% range and are considered all condition lenses..they arent great at light or day, the jack of all trades goggles...they do everything good enough. I also have a set of Persimmon lenses for really bright days, which aren't often here.

Anything lower than 50% is generally going to be a goggle for bright blue skies sun beating down on you days, if thats what your weather is like usually they might not be a bad idea...i would only need these for spring summer boarding, but Persimmon does the job fine too so i havent bothered.

different companies also have different additions, like higher contrast, or polarized goggles. In general high contrast is always a good thing to have, and polarized lenses good for bright conditions where there will be lots of glare off the snow...

Oakley has a kind of cool little flash thing showing generally how all their lenses will look like...
Oakley A FRAME Accessory Lenses available online at Oakley.com

Last edited by arsenic0; 09-05-2009 at 07:40 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ahha! I had to do a little digging, but I knew a saw a thread about this before:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...t-goggles.html
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Here's a list of the various colors and their light transmissions from Oakley as well as an explanation:

Oakley Lens Tints Explained
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardTheSnow73 View Post
Ahha! I had to do a little digging, but I knew a saw a thread about this before:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/gen...t-goggles.html
thats exactly what i was looking for man, thanks a bunch
j.gnar is offline   Reply With Quote