Burton is not that great! - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 06:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

Cartels are awesome =) Like he said... Burton doesn't have the name because it's burton.. burton has the name it does because they earned it It's easy to sit there and find all the bad things you can about a company & since there #1 that makes you wanna do so but you can do that for any company /shrug. There's a reason many people in the X games & the Olympics use burton stuff =) Just because it's burton doesn't mean it's tons of $$.. I have a brand new 2008 Burton Twin $450.. any comparable board from any other company would be around the same price. This thread is funny
EverBorN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
CLIFTON 757

i agree with all of the above about burton makiing a name for themselves and living up to it. Theres a reason why everyone wears and ride thier stuff. They take care of their customers and try to always have a step up on other companies. as for the walking billboard people, I hate it as much as the next person because you know they went out and bought it just because its all burton. I love burton softgoods like no other. they are just comfortable. and yeah i ride a burton board but i cant stand their bindings and went with a different company. and i also got a different companies boots. like alaric said, its a personal prefference(sp?) just because you dont like them, doesnt mean someone else feels the same. end of my rant.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

meh.... burton is just one of many brands out there. some stuff is good, other stuff less so.

burton get the hate, coz they have the money and influence (but mainly money) to be every where, which can create resentment. they have the big bucks to attract the big names to their professional roster and of course, all magazines etc have the double page adverts.

their customer service tho has always treated me well; their products have failed to let me down and whilst i am not inclined to buy something just coz it has the burton logo on it, nor am i less likely to actual buy it if i need it.

as for those who criticise anyone for wearing or riding burton... well they care too much for their image (and worse, that of others) to truly understand what this snowboaring malarky really is all about! so fuck em!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

paolo and mdp are spot on in their comments.

i personally have never owned a bad burton product, but i'm no fanboy. most of the burton stuff i currently use i got great deals on SAC or end of season clearences.

anyways, i think its kind of funny that people will sit and rip on burton and burton fanboys while they are sitting there hating and plugging their favorite company...being a fanboy and a hater are basically the same thing, just on the opposite sides of the scale.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

this brand loyalty thing is a weird one.

i can see how it benefits the brand corps etc.... but really for consumers, it just constrains your range of choice. this is in no way a good thing.

ultimately and of course, it is all a matter of ego and how fragile it always is! people buy stuff that they might think is the 'best' or the most 'trendy'. if they see other people using other stuff, then there is the suggestion in the doubtful minds, that their taste and choice is some how wrong or inferior!

how dare people be individualistic!

to this end, people oppose the Burton way and at the same time, the same people (or other similar minded peeps) adopt loyalty to another brand...oh say, 'Rome'.

give it a season or two and watch the Rome haters come out of the wood work!

at the end of the day, snowboarding's essence is of self expression. it is what seperates us from the skiers, as they regimentally follow the piste tracks, and complain about the off piste / back country sideways sliders!

and so it is ironic that despite the wealth of brand out there.... they are all effectively offering the exact same product! before long, the most rebellious, self expressionate thing a snowboarder can do, is buy a pair of skis!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBorN
There's a reason many people in the X games & the Olympics use burton stuff =) Just because it's burton doesn't mean it's tons of $$...
The reason so many people in the X-games and Olympics use Burton stuff is because they get paid for it! Don't think for a second if Nitro or GNU or K2 or any other company for that matter had offered Shaun White or any other current Burton rider more $$$ for their skills they wouldn't have gone there.

I'm not Burton bashing in fact I was wearing one of their sweatshirts this weekend and actually own about 4 of them as well as my base layer, gloves and other various objects from them. They make a good product and have been around a very long time. I personally have had a lot of bad luck with their hard goods and will not buy them again.

The biggest problem with Burton getting the "anti" rep it has developed is indeed that they are the largest company with the most global support. I mean what other snowboarding company has their own flagship stores? They are the most widely distributed brand so every ski/snowboard/sporting goods store sells their equipment. Also when you're just starting out in the sport and your parents are buying you your equipment more than likely they're gonna want to spend their $800 total cost on a company they have heard of or have seen a lot so they don't feel like they're getting ripped off. This is why stores sell as much of their product as they do.

Bottom line to me is Burton makes good stuff, I just am not going to be buying their boards, boots, or bindings anytime soon.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution
I mean what other snowboarding company has their own flagship stores?
quiksilver; vans; adidas; head

but yar i get your point (i fink)
Old 11-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I guess Quicksilver makes boards but to me they're a surf/clothes company, same as Vans. I haven't seen a Head store in the States and they're also a Ski company among a million other sports similar with Adidas.

You do know what I mean though you aren't going to see a Rome, Mervin, Nitro, Palmer etc. store in major US cities and have the ability to move the product without retailer assistance...
Old 11-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Carmen, Winterstick is the Original. Westside. They predate Burton by at least a decade.

Sims and Burton got started at practically the same time. Bummer Tom Sims was more interested in snowboarding, skating, and being a surf bum than he was at being a business man. Otherwise, Sims could easily have been the go to brand. The were west side and Tahoe was the scene. No one else anywhere had the influence that Tahoe did.

Burton was more aggressive and kudos to them.

As far as pros go rockin' Burton gear. Well duh. Pros are notoriously hard on their gear. Top pros constantly break bindings boards etc. In a pinch it's going to be pretty easy to find a shop that carries Burton gear. Several pros have signed with them for that reason alone. Not that the gear was better, but that it was easier to get replaced. Show up to a shop, the shop gets an authorization from Burton HQ and walk out with what you need. From a competing professional's standpoint, Burton makes absolute sense.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

don't forget Avalanche either... they came out around '82 and were riding the mountains way earlier than that just not distributed outside of via the founders trunk...