Proper binding setup question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Proper binding setup question

I've been under the impression that having your boot perfectly centered on your board was the correct way to set up a binding. I wear a giant boot so both my heel and toe hang over an inch exactly, and I have a wide board.

I've just been informed of a different theory...

Here is the other theory copied and pasted. This reply is meant for me, hence the size 14 boot talk.

Thoughts?

"At home, right now, stand on your heels. You will notice that your weight is on the backmost part of your heel. Now stand on your toes. You will notice that the pressure is now where your toes meet the rest of your foot, NOT at the tip of your toes. The same applies to pressuring your edges. The heel pressure does come from the backmost part of your boot while toe pressure is really about and inch (maybe more for a size 14) inward from the tip of your boot.

So while to your eye your boots may look centered, in actuality your pressuring behind your heel edge because the tips of your heels are beyond your heelside edge and pressuring from your toes is more towards the center of your board because the tips of your toes are over the toe edge instead of the intersection between your toes and your foot being over the toe edge. I have a size 9 boot, so it may be easier for me, but the tip of my heels is directly over the heelside edge and my boots are hanging a tad over the toeside edge so that when i pressure, the intersection between my toes and foot is directly over the toeside edge. This gives the appearance of my deck being toe heavy, but in reality the pressure created is directly over the edges."
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

sounds about right, you definitely dont want overhang
j.gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well that's kind of the thing... Over hang isn't an option with me, it's going to happen.

I had about the same over hang on my last board and actually had no issues... With my new bindings though, my feet are up even higher so the chance of drag is even less.

My question I guess is how much thought should I put into having slightly more toe over hang then heel over hang to compensate for this pivot point that is the front ball of your foot.

I personally still think a perfect centering of my foot is what's needed... To me, the stiffness of a boot is going to devour any pivot point other then the front and the back of the board....

This guy has me thinking now though.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

well as long as you dont have toe and/or heel drag you should be golden, anything after that is just personal preference;however you feel most comfortable riding. the man makes a valid point with the toe pressure, if it were me i'd probably opt for more toe over hang than heel
j.gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not necessarily true. If your toes are overhanging then the balls of your feet by your toes are whats pushing down on the binding.

Regardless if you have your binding plate all the way to the toe edge of the board as you should, thats where the pressure will be put.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Stiffness of the sole will matter more IMO. I base it off where the toe of your boot slopes up away from the tow part. Pretty much centered. I have some overhang with my 11 on normal width boards but have never had drag or a problem.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Exactly my conclusion... This may be proper for someone that's not so close to having toe drag, and I will be taking this guide into consideration when resetting up my girls gear.