Rare but seriously annoying boot problem... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cking86

Default Rare but seriously annoying boot problem...

Alright...basically I'm looking for a good all around boot but can't seem to find one that works, here's why...My shoe size is an 11-11.5 and whenever I try to get new boots they measure me up as that. They'll size me up and tell me that they are positively sure it is the right size and I'll go home because they do feel good in the store. What they don't realize is that I have unusually larger calf muscles which most boots aren't designed to fit around. So why my feet feel like they fit in the boot to begin with, my calf pushes up against the back wall of the boot and ends up pushing my whole foot forward making my toes curl and impossible to ride comfortably. Last season I rode Thirty-Two Lashed Boots size 12. The boot was way to big inside since my feet really aren't size 12's, but my toes were still at the end because average snowboard boot design won't compensate for larger calf muscles. I know this is a long shot but has anyone experienced this problem and would you be able to recommend a boot that works? Or a company that makes custom sized boots? In the past few years I've tried Burton Motto's, Burton Hail's, and 32 Lashed. I think the Motto's worked the best because they were a softer more flexible boot but because they wore out and I progressed I have been trying to switch to a more advanced boot. I have also tried heel inserts and arch supports and both were unsuccessful. I think what adds to the problem is that these boots have natural forward lean which combined with my binding forward lean, pushes my feet too far forward.(Although I have my bindings lean as low as possible) Hoping to ride with equipment that actually feels good this season, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris.

Last edited by Cking86; 11-12-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

outside of going for a boot that allows for zoned lacing.... vans cirro has a three lace zone set up for example (and i quite like it) you might wanna try, and bare with me here.... female boots!

gender variation goes beyond mere embroided floral patterns and bits of glitter you know?! generally, girls have longer (ie lower calf musculature) and their boot designs reflect this!

of course i am presuming you are a male! and so of course you might feel like a knob going to a store and asking for girlie booties, but if it makes life on the hill happier, then who cares what a shop assitant thinks? and despite the best efforts of those trying to get your size determined; there ain't nowt better than trying the final products on! each manufacturer's sizing scale varies afterall.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

this is a super silly question but are you compensating for the forward lean in the boots? if your trying to stand straight up in a SB boot than yes your calf will push against the back of the boot which pushes your foot forward.

sounds like you might need a better shop with a good boots guy.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J.
this is a super silly question but are you compensating for the forward lean in the boots? if your trying to stand straight up in a SB boot than yes your calf will push against the back of the boot which pushes your foot forward.

sounds like you might need a better shop with a good boots guy.
That's exactly what I was thinking... I have large calf muscles also, a remnant of losing 130lbs and I know what you are talking about in terms of boots not being designed for a larger calf and being too narrow in that area. It really sounds to me like you are fighting the built in forward lean in any snowboard boot. You could try a shorter more mobile freestyle oriented boot, but like you said it will break down quicker and provide much less responsiveness when charging the slopes... thing is this though, if that's the most comfortable way for you to ride than whatever
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
st.stark

Yeah...the Motos have that sort of zone lacing system...