Newbie boarder, here's what I got... tell me (honestly) what you think - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Colo Springs E

Default Newbie boarder, here's what I got... tell me (honestly) what you think

So I just started getting the hang of boarding at the end of last season. Been skiing pretty well for about 10 years. I'm 46.

I bought a last year's (or 07?) Burton Clash, last year's Rome Arsenal bindings, and last year's (or 07?) Burton Moto boots. I got the whole shebang for just under 4 bills.

Here's where my main question comes in: I've heard some seemingly knowledgeable people telling me to go long on the board (I'm 5'6", weigh 165). So some were saying go 151-155 or so... others were saying as low as 143 to 146. In the end I went with the Clash 145. The rental I did last season was a 144 and felt comfortable to me (it was a K2, not sure of the model). So anyway, what do you think? Will I regret the short board by season's end? (I plan on boarding 15-30 times this season) What is the advantage to going longer? I'm not a speed freak by the way. I just want a comfortable, cool, "in-control" day of boarding when I go out. And yeah, I'm 46... not gonna see me out there doing anything very wild!

Thanks in advance to all... -Eric
(Colo Springs, CO)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
robbied

If your comfortable just ride it. 145 is a little on the short side IMO but it will still work perfectly.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The 145 is a little short for you, but given that you're a beginner, it won't really impact anything. The shortness of the board will make it feel softer/flex easier given your weight. Not a bad thing as this will be more forgiving than a really stiff board.

Anyhow, as robbied said, just ride it.
DC5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
CrazyTasu

ok, i assume your not a park rat or probably not even gonna bother in the park, 145 really short, for your hieght its a good down size jib board size, and about you saying $400 for thoses gears? hmmmm i would 2nd think that, you can get better deals if you just invest and look around online shops for 1 or 2 yrs old gears, for you being 165lb you should really go somewhere 154ish +/- couple cm off of that is fine also, if youre a fast learner and get into freeriding or pow i would go maybe upto 156 or so
but since your new i might wanna go maybe 151-2 ish, i assume you dont have large boot size, if you say you were ok riding 144?
i guess its ok for you to ride that small for learning how to toe/heel side turns but once you get the turns, and start learning carve you dont wanna ride that small, its not stable at higher speed.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Colo Springs E

Thanks for the comments so far... As for the price, it seemed to be right in line with most of the other similar deals I've seen locally. Even if I coulda saved some bucks, I was not interested in buying online as 1) I wanted to see/fit the equipment, and 2) I like supporting local shops.

As for the length, we'll see. My boot size is 9, and fits the board fine. I do wonder if maybe I shoulda gone a little longer, but what the hey... I'll give it a try this season and see how it goes.

Thanks all... -E
Old 09-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea i agree with most everyone here. i thought i loved short boards but at 5'7 175 i would be uncomfortable on a 145. my park deck is a 152, and if i dont plan on any park that day i ride a 154 comfortably at high speeds.
i would say get a 150. arsenals are very stiff but an amazing binding.
Burton [ak] 2l Cyclic Jacket
Holden Northfield 3L pants
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
desklamp

see if you can trade for a larger size
Old 09-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Especially if you are in Colorado, that boards going to make you hate your life if theres any pow because its so short...

At 165 for a decent "all around" board you should be looking at like a 156ish i would guess?

I dont know who recommended a 145 for someone your size, they honestly just wanted a sale or something.

Im 135lbs and ride a 151, which is about right in the middle ...or close

Last edited by arsenic0; 09-13-2009 at 01:03 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
mitch21

Dont worry about it.

I ride a 158 and I'm a 143 pounds ride it from the park-pow. just adapt your riding to it
Old 09-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Colo Springs E

Thanks for the input all.

As to the shop recommending going short maybe to make a sale... two shops did... the third shop ultimately sized me at a 151, saying I could maybe go as high as 155, but that I'd probably feel more comfortable in the beginning on a 151. The Clash was on blowout pricing and he had costlier and longer boards that he didn't steer me toward.

By the way I bought all the gear new, it's just that it's last year's model on the various components.

Sounds like the general consensus is I went short... It's all good. I rode 144 last season and was comfortable. I won't be riding fast anytime soon if at all. I will ride it this season and see how it goes. If I feel I need to go longer by season's end, it'll become my wife's board.

thanks again... -Eric