Total Newbie... addicted to tech - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
TheSwedishChef

Unhappy Total Newbie... addicted to tech

Weight: 190
Boot size: 11
Riding style: groomers, newbie, Freeriding (I expect in the future it will be mostly downhill with a little park)
budget: 1000-1200 cdn
Your location of riding: sigh... eastern Canada for now

I have been skiing all over Canada and I'm bored with it.

I’ve only been on a snowboard a couple of times and
I'm looking to purchase a board and get it set up for the upcoming winter.
The issue I'm having is that I don't want to buy a basic board.
I’ve been reading buyers guides and love the idea of having a board that will last me once
I progress into more intermediate snowboarding.

So... I’ve been thinking about getting a 159 wide skate banana with some union force bindings.
I really love the idea of having the MTX technology to grip the icy hard packed in Ontario,
plus in the future I would want to go on some trips out west so the reverse camber could be nice
(Sadly I'm currently stationed in eastern Canada so its all groomers for me). Is this a terrible idea?

I really just want a board that I will continue to be content with once I'm not on my ass all the time. Since I have a bit of cash to burn right now, I don't want to look back in a year and think that i should have bought better stuff. I suffer from serious gear envy.

I have this problem that when I want to get into something I really want good gear for it.
For instance when I started playing bass guitar I went out and bought an American fender 60th anniversary jazz bass.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TheSwedishChef; 09-13-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
TheSwedishChef

Im trying to talk myself out of unnecessary things while still maintaining high quality.
Is something like a Forum Recon board more what i should be looking for?
Can I stick with the Union Force bindings?
I would really appreciate some input.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm located in Ontario as well and I think the setup you have picked out for yourself would be perfect for riding in our conditions. Can't go wrong with the SkateBanana or the Union Forces. Although depending on your height you may want to size down a tad. Another aspect you may want to be aware of is that the board you have picked for yourself is park oriented. Therefore if you aren't going to be spending much time in the park (or plan on spending time in the park in the future) you may want to opt for a board that is slightly stiffer, something deemed "All Mountain".

I say go for it.

Last edited by CheckMySteez; 09-13-2009 at 02:07 PM.
CheckMySteez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Have you looked at some of the Never Summer line? They also have reverse camber boards with Variogrip(their version of MTX)...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMySteez View Post
I'm located in Ontario as well and I think the setup you have picked out for yourself would be perfect for riding in our conditions. Can't go wrong with the SkateBanana or the Union Forces. Although depending on your height you may want to size down a tad. Another aspect you may want to be aware of is that the board you have picked for yourself is park oriented. Therefore if you aren't going to be spending much time in the park (or plan on spending time in the park in the future) you may want to opt for a board that is slightly stiffer, something deemed "All Mountain".

I say go for it.
good points. the skate banana is an all around badass board. park, groomers, pow, you name it. i bought one last season and i'll never ride any other board again.the only downside is it doesnt have a very stiff core so you wont get a lot of pop from it, but all around it rides like a dream. union force bindings are sick, cant go wrong there. i'd say its a killer combonation
j.gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
TheSwedishChef

Unhappy

Thanks a lot everyone!

@CheckMySteez: I'm about 6 ft tall. I checked out the snowboard size calculator at Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator so I was loosely going by their recommendation.

@arsenic0: I have taken a look at the Never summer lineup and I'm interested in the Premier F1 and Heritage boards, as they are marketed as freeride boards. I don't know any Toronto shops that stock them tho.

I'm having some doubts now... I called up two local board shops.

Boardsports can get a Never Summer ordered for me but they don't like reverse camber and that they think reverse camber boards are kind of a gimmick ( so they don't stock them). Hogtown Extreme Sports told me the banana would break and that I should get a different board as a second if I wanted one.

Both places want to stick me on a beginner stick.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwedishChef View Post
Thanks a lot everyone!

@CheckMySteez: I'm about 6 ft tall. I checked out the snowboard size calculator at Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator so I was loosely going by their recommendation.

@arsenic0: I have taken a look at the Never summer lineup and I'm interested in the Premier F1 and Heritage boards, as they are marketed as freeride boards. I don't know any Toronto shops that stock them tho.

I'm having some doubts now... I called up two local board shops.

Boardsports can get a Never Summer ordered for me but they don't like reverse camber and that they think reverse camber boards are kind of a gimmick ( so they don't stock them). Hogtown Extreme Sports told me the banana would break and that I should get a different board as a second if I wanted one.

Both places want to stick me on a beginner stick.
whoever told you that a banana would break is full of shit. sounds like the shop guys you talked to dont know what they are talking about, skate bananas are extremely forgiving and make it a lot easier to learn/progress. crazy canadians
j.gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree with j.gnar..
U may want to go somewhere else if these places are telling u that reverse camber is a gimmick or u need a second deck cause the banana is gonna break
mOnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Personally i am against "beginner" boards...what they in reality are saying is buy this board so you outgrow it in a year and have to come drop another 400 dollars. If someone is in the market for a beginner board they probably dont go enough and should maybe stick to renting ..or your on a budget in which case buying a used high end board is probably a better deal...

Just my opinion...boards arent cheap...im not saying go buy some high end board...but they will last you longer...but like i said just me...i dropped 200 bucks on a beginner board(LTD Peak) and wish i had just gotten a better board to start with ;/

And yes those shops suck if they are telling you reverse camber is a gimmick. And i would be surprised if they can get you a NS board, as far as i know only authorized dealers can sell them..you can find those on NS's website..

Last edited by arsenic0; 09-13-2009 at 09:29 PM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
TheSwedishChef

Don't get me wrong arsenic0, I don't want to believe in beginner boards. That's the main reason I started this thread. Since I'm getting nothing but support for my choices from the forum it seems like I'm going to either stick with my original plan, or pick up a Never Summer Heritage-R as soon as I can. Screw the shop kids. Now I just need to think about some boots.

Boardsports is an authorized NS dealer and is listed on the site. They just don't keep any in stock.