Beginner board length - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
BoardingBanana

Default Beginner board length

In about a week a will have my first try in a snowboard. This means I did not build up any preference regarding boarding length yet, and I'm a total beginner. I have read that for beginners with a normal posture it's advisable to take a board that it about the same height as your chin. Is this correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You can go by that rule, or the rule of weight, or the rule of beginner...

It's easier to ride a slightly shorter board as a beginner. Say a board that's 157cm meets your chin, you may want to try a 153cm as your first board.

I'm a tall guy and went with a 164cm as my first board, and for my second board I stepped down into a 161 because I wanted something slightly shorter. People say a shorter board can be more fun, but you need length for riding deep stuff so it kinda depends on where you ride also.

And with your name, I'm assuming your going to buy a banana? My advice is to explore other options and don't just fall into the giant marketing strategy that is the banana boards. Sure they make good boards, but they're not the only board company out there. It seems like everyone is riding a dam banana and it's rather sickening to see so many sheep on the same stick.

Bataleon
Never Summer
Rome
Forum
Stepchild
Arbor
Capita

Are all good board companies.

Good luck and don't put to much thought in dialing your length in perfectly as you will love snowboarding as long as your board is within a handful of the recommended CM's.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
BoardingBanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post

It's easier to ride a slightly shorter board as a beginner. Say a board that's 157cm meets your chin, you may want to try a 153cm as your first board.

I'm a tall guy and went with a 164cm as my first board, and for my second board I stepped down into a 161 because I wanted something slightly shorter. People say a shorter board can be more fun, but you need length for riding deep stuff so it kinda depends on where you ride also.

And with your name, I'm assuming your going to buy a banana? My advice is to explore other options and don't just fall into the giant marketing strategy that is the banana boards. Sure they make good boards, but they're not the only board company out there. It seems like everyone is riding a dam banana and it's rather sickening to see so many sheep on the same stick.

Bataleon
Never Summer
Rome
Forum
Stepchild
Arbor
Capita

Good luck and don't put to much thought in dialing your length in perfectly as you will love snowboarding as long as your board is within a handful of the recommended CM's.
I have no idea what a banana board is, I just chose this this name because I will probably look like a stupid banana on a board, because I cannot board yet. Anyway, thanks for the tips!
Old 09-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

At the top of the General Equipment Talk page, there is a thread called" FAQ`s and Equipment Guides: Please read before posting a question." Scroll down a few posts and you will find a rough sizing guide. Use it!
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardingBanana View Post
I have no idea what a banana board is, I just chose this this name because I will probably look like a stupid banana on a board, because I cannot board yet. Anyway, thanks for the tips!
Haha right on ( =

Well your on the right track by atleast taking board length into consideration. To me that means your atleast making an attempt at doing some research as to what you need.

If you post your height, weight, and boot size I'm sure some more accurate dimensions could be given
Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
BoardingBanana

I'm trying to prepare as much as possible, studying the techniques from snowwolfs movies, and getting board length and stuff right from the start.

My stats: 80-82kilo in weight, 187cm in height, bootsize is about 44 (europian measurement). My posture is average.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post

Bataleon
Never Summer
Rome
Forum
Stepchild
Arbor
Capita

i think its fuckin lame you call people who ride skate banana's sheep, why the bias?
its a great board and the reason so many people ride it is for that exact same reason.
if it was shitty product you wouldnt see so many kids shredding on them
j.gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I said they had a good product.

But I also feel that people hear "banana" and for whatever reason that word sticks with them and they don't research what other boards are available. It's a catchy name, and a big marketing tool that is imo causing a ripple in the snowboard market.

My point is that there's plenty of other good sticks out there and a lot of people who ride bananas ride it because they don't even know what else is out there. People hear about the banana from somebody else instead of researching on there own. Therefore creating a lot of sheep! Maybe your not one, then good for you, but I can assure you this is happening.

It's about educating yourself on what's out there, and if you just blindly buy things because someone says its good then bam your a sheep imo.

Does that explain my sheep thing?

Maybe I'm wrong.... Maybe the majority of people really are doing research on what boards are out there and they understand the tech that's going into the boards.... But when the names of other companies are brought up and people have never heard of it before, it makes me feel otherwise.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i can see what you're saying but at the same time i dont think anyone is going to drop close to 500 dollars on a board without doing research first. personally, i spent a good 3 months researching what board i was going to buy before i went into the shop and made my purchase. it just so happened that with my style of riding, the skate banana was the most logical choice. i honestly dont even really see that many people ride skate bananas, but it bums me out to see people hating on them so much. its true that they are marketed more than lets say, never summer or bataleon. up until i joined this forum i hadnt heard of either
j.gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well I'm glad you did some research!

I would say if your a skateboarder at heart, your local mountain is an ice ball, and your not interested in bombing things at high speed, then a banana may be right for someone.

And I think you would be surprised at how many parents are buying $500 boards for there kids, and how many kids can save up the money for snowboarding gear.... And living in Colorado I see a TON of bananas on the hill. But I also see a ton of Never Summers, but they're made right here in Denver so ( =

But ya, not everyone is a sheep of course, it was a def blanket statement.