Ground tricks and entry into park board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ground tricks and entry into park board

As the season winds down, I'm feeling the itch to pick up a new board.

I got into ground tricks (buttering, pressing, 180s) about a month ago and I'm going to do lots of park next season. I want something softer and more park-oriented than what I have now. I've only gone to the summit a couple of times since learning tricks because I find it so much more fun to fool around on easier blues rather than bomb runs.

Here's what I'm at:

Weight: 140-145lbs
Boot size: Currently wearing 11, but they're slightly too large so I think I could possibly go down to a 10. Will buy new ones next season. Looking at Burton Ambush.
Bindings: Rome 390
Height: 5'10"

The boards I have now are a 2013 Rome Reverb (camber) and a 2013 Never Summer SL, and both are 155cm. I love the SL for all-mountain riding and lately I've been using the Reverb for ground tricks, although I feel like the Reverb is a bit too large and stiff. They both seem to be about a medium in the flex department, and I really don't have any problems pressing either one.

I'm not looking for something to carve down blacks AND hit the park, this would be a park or freestyle-only board that will get beat on. I'm looking for something more on the softer side (but not a total noodle) that won't whimper at medium jumps when I get to that point.

Here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Rome Garage Rocker (148)
This is the one I'm leaning towards, mainly due to the cost. Should be able to handle medium jumps well, as well as rails and ground tricks. Seems to fit the bill, but the flex could be a hair too high at 4.

Rome Artifact Rocker (147 or 150)
This one might be too soft. Would be excellent for buttering and rails, but I'm not sure about its abilities with jumps or poor conditions due to how soft it is.

Ride Kink (147)
Seems to be a compromise between the Garage Rocker and Artifact Rocker, in terms of stiffness, but maybe too soft?

Ride Buckwild (151)
Most expensive and might be the stiffest of the bunch. Has the best graphics, though.

Any other suggestions? I want to keep the price around $200 or lower. Thanks!
snoopy7548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

New Flow Era 153 Tim Pro Freestyle Park Snowboard + Burton Scraper 201 €“ Snow Deals Now

http://www.snowdealsnow.com/collecti...ant=1135381580

Flow verve would be softer, tech for price flow is almost impossible to beat.

I haven't ridden the shifty but it seems similar to the villain which i have and love.

New Flow Shifty 154 Freestyle Camber Snowboard + Burton Scraper 2013 M €“ Snow Deals Now
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Buckwild will be the same stiffness as the Rome you already own, if not more.

If you are buying a ground trick board, go all out get that board soft
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have the same setup Snowtrooper (new SL) with 390 bosses. I use a 150 rocknrolla for park works great especially for ground tricks very flexible and has beveled edges so they won't catch board is awesome for buttering you can pick one up on EVO for around $150 for a 2014
raffertyk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, after giving it a bit more thought I actually do want more of a noodly board. There might be times where I want to carve a section or two of a run, but I'd say my riding will be 80-90% freestyle next season.

The Flow Era looks pretty good, but I watched a flex video and it looks more on the medium side, similar to my Reverb. I couldn't find any 2014 Verves on sale.

I'll check out the Rocknrolla too. Although that one has a flex rating of 5, a flex video showed something far more flexy, although slightly less so than the Artifact. Watching flex videos has been pretty interesting.

I think it's between the Artifact Rocker, Kink, or Rocknrolla.

Another question... do you think downsizing from a 155 to a 147 is too drastic? I probably should have started out with 153cm boards, considering my weight. If I went with the Artifact, I'm not sure if I'd be better off with the 147 or 150cm size. Depending on which, I'd be either at the top or middle of the weight range... but I guess for a park board I should be shooting for the top end.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

No you will be fine on a 147 I weigh 170 ride a 159 Snowtrooper and a 150 rocknrolla 147 would be a good size for you as a park board. The rocknrolla surprisingly carves pretty well I have even taken it through the trees at Jay Peak without much issue its is quick enough edge to edge. It can get a little sketchy on steeps if they are icy but that's not often I will find myself anywhere near steep on that board
Old 03-22-2015, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you go with the artifact specifically for park I would go 147. My personal preference for ground tricks and jibbing is to go shorter especially if you are learning it makes it a little easier to know where your board is and to get it around on spins. But 147 to 150 is really preference either will get the job done just fine
Old 03-22-2015, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nice, thanks man. I think I might go with the Rocknrolla. Evo only has it in the 148, but that should be fine.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Era will be a tad stiffer than a reverb however if you downsize to the 150 that will make it softer also it has reverse between the feet so it will bend more than your cambered board.

The verve is the softer version of the era. Check angrysnowboarder.com for reviews on those boards, he has a review of your board as well so you can see how he thinks about boards.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, AngrySnowboarder has been my primary source of reviews on boards. I decided to go with the Rossignol Rocknrolla, but thanks for your help. It should be here on Friday, and I'll be riding it Saturday night, if Evo stays true to their word...