Never Summer 2015 board buying advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Never Summer 2015 board buying advice

Hello!

I am in process of updating my setup and considering several NS decks. I was hoping to get some opinions and suggestions from other NS owners. Forgive me as I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to latest tech.

Some background on my current gear and riding style:

I've been riding for about 18 years. 10-20 days a year, some off years though too. I would consider myself on the intermediate end of things. I mostly ride groomers in Northern California, occasionally pop off the beaten path, but not much. I don't do park or jumps, though I do fantasize one day being able to hold my own in these ways. I also don't do switch riding. Would like to learn one of these days but not a priority for now. For now I'm perfectly happy to get great carves down the mountain. I typically ride blue runs, sometimes pop onto a black or two throughout the day to challenge myself. I typically ride at moderate-to-fast speeds with quick turn to turn. I'd like to think that my riding style in this regard has a little more finesse and technique than other dudes around here who like to bomb the mountain at very high speeds but hardly take any turns. Not much fun in that for me. More interested in being able to gracefully carve up the mountain and feel it as I dig in and pump hard. Ideally I'd like to get a setup that allows me to continue perfecting this, but still leaves the door cracked open in case I want to noodle around with some jumps / buttering / switch / jibs or whatever you crazy kids call these thangs.

My current setup is an old dog of a Heelside twin 151 (circa 2002?) with Ride RX aluminum bindings (circa 2008?) and Burton Freestyle boots (circa 2008? and on the softer side). I'm 5'11 and 155lbs. The board is pretty stiff (maybe 7-8 out of 10?) heavy camber with absolutely no rocker (to be expected with a board of that age I suppose). When placed flat, the middle of the board is about 3/4" off the ground. I'm set back one click back. I also don't ride duck stance. Not sure of exact angles, but I'm guessing rear somewhere at -5, front at about +35. I've gotten pretty used to this board and configuration, only one I've been riding for 10+ years, so I wouldn't know any better.

I've been researching the 2015 NS decks. I'm looking to possibly pair them with the super stiff Union FC fibercarbon bindings. I'll also be looking to invest in some new boots of course.

My take on the NS boards I've been looking at, based on research and what I've read around the forum:
  • Ripsaw - stiffer deck, more of an all-mountain balls-to-the-wall type of board. "Not for the faint of heart"
  • Cobra - medium stiff deck, all mountain directional. Seems like some absolutely love it ands some really hate it.
  • Stormtrooper - same medium stiffness as Cobra, but slightly more camber. Also less directional.
  • Funslinger - softer more playful board, more appropriate for park use, jumps, etc.

When I flexed all four boards in the shop, they were all more flexy than my current deck. The Ripsaw is pretty close though.

Questions I'm considering:
  • Would Ripsaw be slightly out of my league based on my riding experience and preference? I see that it's marketed more as an "expert" board. I hear it really likes to go and is not so good at slower speeds. In terms of profile, it seems closer to my old camber board, which is one reason it appeals. And it's stiffer.
  • Is the Funslinger too soft / playful to consider? Again, I don't do much park riding or tricks.
  • Is there a major difference between the Stormtrooper and the Cobra in terms of riding experience? The Stormtrooper has a heavier camber which again appeals due to my current setup.
  • In general will it be challenging in switching over to these hybrid profile boards, coming from an old camber board? How are these hybrid profiles in terms of really being able to dig in quickly turn to turn? Should I be considering a more traditional camber board instead? I do get a bit worried seeing some of these rocker boards see-sawing back and forth when placed flat. (Am I just being paranoid? )
  • How about the FC Union bindings? Anyone have any experience with them? Haven't seen many reviews or feedback on them yet. Would it make sense to pair these super stiff bindings with a mid-flex board, or no? Should I be considering any other bindings?
  • If I go with a stiffer binding (like the FC) should I be considering a stiff boot to pair or would a softer boot be ok?
  • Board size - I'm thinking ~155. Does that seem reasonable, based on 5'11", 155lbs? Current deck is a 151 which of course is a bit short for me, but I have gotten used to being able to whip this thing turn to turn.

Sorry for the brain vomit of questions. I'm one of those over-researching, over-analyzing types.

Appreciate any feedback and suggestions you can offer!

Keep on ridin, lemmings and gerbils!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 02:59 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
You could ride the Ripsaw, it wouldn't be as fun for you though?
It hauls ass & wants to go faster & faster.
But it rails carves the nicest.
Not sayin' you shouldn't get it, but it just sounds like others might be better?
You know, you being so old n shit.
Haha. I'm just fuckin' whit chya. Haha
I'm prolly older? Hahaha, definitely crazier, but that Ripsaw carves so fuckin' beautiful. I freakin' love it.
I'm sure if you got one, you'd prolly think the same?
Just stay away from the real soft ones.

If you don't ride them how they're intended to be ridden, obviously, you can figure out the rest.

Either the Cobra or the stormtrooper would be more appropriate.

You can't really go wrong with either of those decks.

I'm about 99% positive you'll be blown away & love it.

TT

If whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

Then I am so close to immortality
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Yeah I agree with TT. The SnowTrooper would be a good fit. Im sure u could handle the 155 or 158 just fine. Next yr NS stiffens up the Cobra slightly. But SnowTrooper or Cobra would be good choices. I didnt see where you said what size boots you wear. Curious why u chose the Union FC before deciding on a board. I would prob pair both these boards with medium flexing bindings but some people like to go stiffer. Have fun buying a whole new set is always a good time Im sure theres some good deals out there now.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The Ripsaw won't be "out of your league". It's definitely on the stiffer side, but it's not some sort of crazy experts only type of board. I love it as a daily driver. If you can wait until next season it sounds like you might be a good candidate for the West as well. It has the same profile as the Ripsaw, but is a little more mellow, and slightly directional. Haven't ridden the Funslinger, but it sounds to noodly for what you want.

Tags
never summer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode