first board help needed - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
tsaokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 81
Question first board help needed

Hey everyone. I'm new to snowboarding(I have around 5 days under my belt) but am hooked. I would like to buy my own gear for this next season or two. Long story short i Weigh 185 am 6'2" I wear a size 11-11.5 boot I like to freeride. The board I am looking at is a 2008 atomic dreamraider 161cm long 25cm waist. I will be getting the boar new for 170 bucks. so a couple of questions 1. good deal? 2. is it too much board for me at this time? 3. I'm worried about toe drag is the board too skinny at the waist for me? Thanks in advance for everyones help.
tsaokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
tsaokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 81
Default

also same three questions except with a 2007 CAPiTA Photo Fetish 156cm long 25.1 cm wide and 2008 ride lx bindings all for a total of$222. Thanks again.
tsaokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Augie09
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Have you been sized for boots? that was probably the most important thing I did when first buying gear.

spending about $200 on a first board is smart, no reason to over do it. I can't speak to the model, but I have an Atomic and love it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
tsaokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie09 View Post
Have you been sized for boots? that was probably the most important thing I did when first buying gear.

spending about $200 on a first board is smart, no reason to over do it. I can't speak to the model, but I have an Atomic and love it.
I actually have not been sized for boots. I'm just trying to recall everything from the first of the year. I believe my boot size was smaller than my shoe size. I wear a size 12 shoe and believe my boot was an 11 or 11.5
tsaokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaokie View Post
Hey everyone. I'm new to snowboarding(I have around 5 days under my belt) but am hooked. I would like to buy my own gear for this next season or two. Long story short i Weigh 185 am 6'2" I wear a size 11-11.5 boot I like to freeride. The board I am looking at is a 2008 atomic dreamraider 161cm long 25cm waist. I will be getting the boar new for 170 bucks. so a couple of questions 1. good deal? 2. is it too much board for me at this time? 3. I'm worried about toe drag is the board too skinny at the waist for me? Thanks in advance for everyones help.
I dont really know anything about the board, but re: Q 3, my board has a 25 (25.4 I think) waist and I have 11.5 boots. I dont have a problem with toe/heel drag, so my guess is you should be fine. The only time I've kinda noticed some toe drag is when I try get a really strong edge to do a 180 and its slushy/powder snow, but I wouldnt worry about that too much. Oh and I have my stance as wide as possible.

Last edited by dneukirch; 09-20-2009 at 07:33 AM.
dneukirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaokie View Post
Hey everyone. I'm new to snowboarding(I have around 5 days under my belt) but am hooked. I would like to buy my own gear for this next season or two. Long story short i Weigh 185 am 6'2" I wear a size 11-11.5 boot I like to freeride. The board I am looking at is a 2008 atomic dreamraider 161cm long 25cm waist. I will be getting the boar new for 170 bucks. so a couple of questions 1. good deal? 2. is it too much board for me at this time? 3. I'm worried about toe drag is the board too skinny at the waist for me? Thanks in advance for everyones help.

I am a new guy myself (4 days under my belt). My comments/opinions:
$170 is a good price for a first, new board. If you have 5 days of riding under your belt, then there isn't any such thing as 'too much board' since you already have the basics down. Its more a case of "is this board good for what I want to do, or will I still have to learn how to ride it until I figure out how to work it properly".
As for toe drag... worry less about the waist and more about the width where the bindings go. I am not sure how any of us will be able to specifically comment on this issue since it is partially affected by the boot and bindings you will use. However, in general people reccomend wide boards for boot sizes that are larger than 10, so the conventional wisdom suggests that you will have toe drag on a standard board.
As for boots. The fit and comfort are the most important things. Even more important than your board. You will have your boots on about 8-9 hours at a time, and you can't take them off (unless you like frostbitten toes), so it is 100% important to get the right boots. Spend whatever it takes to get something comfortable.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
tsaokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post

At 185, I would drop that length down to like a 157-159. A shorter board is going to be a little easier for you as a new rider and will counteract some of the Dreamraider`s stiffness (she`s a plank )
Yeah i would have liked to have gone with the shorter board but 161 was the only length available for that price. I pulled the trigger on Saturday. now just anxiously awaiting it's arrival. thanks for the input.
tsaokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
soulrebel
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Congrats man lol, enjoy the coming winters and good luck. Makes sure to come back and say how the new gear treats ya.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
AWNOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
• $170 is a good price for a first, new board. If you have 5 days of riding under your belt, then there isn't any such thing as 'too much board' since you already have the basics down. Its more a case of "is this board good for what I want to do, or will I still have to learn how to ride it until I figure out how to work it properly".
Only thing I want to comment on is that if you do only have 5 days experience you really need to make sure that you aren't buying too much board. Especially with freeride, if you buy too advanced of a board you are going to be miserable. At 5 days riding most people are still on beginner noodles. If you go from that to an ultra stiff, longer, unforgiving freeride board, you will be out of control.

I would take Snowolf's advice and size down if you are able.

EDIT: reading kicks my ass. That's why sometimes I dont do it! =)
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWNOW View Post
Only thing I want to comment on is that if you do only have 5 days experience you really need to make sure that you aren't buying too much board. Especially with freeride, if you buy too advanced of a board you are going to be miserable. At 5 days riding most people are still on beginner noodles. If you go from that to an ultra stiff, longer, unforgiving freeride board, you will be out of control.

I would take Snowolf's advice and size down if you are able.

EDIT: reading kicks my ass. That's why sometimes I dont do it! =)
I disagree. 5 days is more than enough time to get the basics (turns, stops, choosing a line, how to not bust coming off the lift ) down. Once you have the basics down then you should be able to start learning on any board, even if it means that you have to re-learn some of the same skills (i.e. how do I turn this huge board as fast as my other one).

Personally, I don't think you have to ride a 'starter' board till its broke before you upgrade. Figure out what you're doing first and go from there.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums