Gf wants to ride. need help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
mikieB

Default Gf wants to ride. need help

Needs some help. What a good board and binding set to get my gf she want to stat riding with me. She has a little time sking and I am trying to bring her to the dark side . She is 5ft 6 and bout 130 boot size 8.5. Just something that she can cruise around with me nothing serious and not too much cash cause idk if we wanna stay wit it. Maybe round $300-350 for bindings and board. thxs for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Look at last year's boards on clearance. You should be able to find a deck for under $200.

Some good boards to consider:
K2 Luna - if you can find one
Gnu B-Nice - if you can find one
Rome Vinyl $185 on sierrasnowboard.com
Ride Solace $175 on sierrasnowboard,com
Burton Lux $179.98 on sierrasnowboard.com

Bindings: Ride Vxn - $75 on sierrasnowboard.com

Boots: Whatever fits, but you can easily find something for around or under $100

Whatever you do, stay away from the Burton Feather (most people grow out of it within weeks) or lower end Burton bindings.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I am bout the same height, I would suggest at Rossignol Sublime 153, its good for starting, but if you want to get serious in the sport it works well too. I have salom bindings and flow boots that all go togeter pretty well
Old 09-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
jtinault

go to sierra snowboards they have cheap boards bindings boots whatever you need and go with an older year model instead of new because 1. its cheaper and 2. it wont matter what year because you dont know if your going to stick with it
Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfSnow View Post
I am bout the same height, I would suggest at Rossignol Sublime 153, its good for starting, but if you want to get serious in the sport it works well too. I have salom bindings and flow boots that all go togeter pretty well
I don't mean to be contentious, but snowboard size is determined by weight, not height. I would say a 153 is too long, especially for a beginner. Look at boards in the 145 - 149 range.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I say you should let her rent to find out if she even likes to snowboard. It would suck to drop all that money and find out she hates it.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Assuming she has never been on a snowboard I would have her rent once and if she definitely wants to switch from skiing I would suggest the K2 Luna. Got my girlfriend into the sport and she bought the Luna last year and put some Burton stilettos on it. Great setp up to learn on and take anywhere.
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Before sinking any money into it, take her to the resort and get her a group lesson. This will provide her with gear, lift ticket and usually a 2 hour lesson to give her the basic foundational riding skills correctly from the start. If she is really stoked and wants to snowboard, then worry about getting her equipment.
I disagree. The lessons I have seen are freakin expensive. You could easily save money by renting a board and boots for a couple of days rather than paying for a 2-hour lesson where she won't get more than 15-20 minutes of personal attention (do the math).

Get her set up and then bring her out to a blue-diamond run (the widest one you can find so that she has plenty of space to traverse it laterally as she learns to stay on the edges).

IMO, putting her in a group on a green run is going to waste her time, and NOT teach her anything that she wouldn't learn faster from you.

My punk-@55 roommate had me on black runs my first day! Granted, it was a HUGEly wide run with no dangerous obstacles (just a ridiculously steep slope) and took me like 30 minutes to make it to the bottom (lol), but I certainly learned to to find & work the edge of that board, lol.
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Dude, if you took me on a black run my first day I would kick your ass. Maybe your black runs are not like our black runs but come on. That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. I also think learning just to be on an edge is dumb, there is so much more then just making it down the hill.

I think I paid 120 bucks for 3 lessons and 3 days of rentals when I first started. Boyfriends, husbands, do not teach your mates to ride. Hire someone or put them in a class.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

First day I took my girlfriend out she got a lesson. Taught her all the basics and made it so she could at least slowly ride down the mountain. A few days later and a few tips I gave her and she was cruising down the hill no problem. Definitely think a lesson to start is the way to go.
Glade Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote