New board for a big guy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board for a big guy

Hey all,

I'm helping my buddy out with getting new gear. He's 230lbs, 6'1", rides 50/50 park/freeride. Looking for something on the lower end of the price spectrum. He's been looking at a Ride Agenda. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
futurefunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

2009 K2 Believer 161 @ Milosport = $220

K2 BELIEVER SNOWBOARD for Sale at Milosport.com: SNOW Department: SNOWBOARDS Category

Would probably work well, unless he needs a wide (often times us big guys do).

Last edited by BoardTheSnow73; 09-20-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Wide Probably not needed if he is already looking at the Agenda
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Forgot to mention boot size of 10 to 10.5. He's got small feet. Will he have to sacrifice a little control for stability on a wide board?
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Probably won't need a wide with a size 10. Just don't get something super narrow. At his size, he will be looking for a longer than normal board, and they are usually a bit wider anyway.
Looks like the 161 Believer dissapeared. Not a big suprise at that price.

Maybe this:

Rossignol Scope Snowboard 2009

It's one of Rossi's entry level boards so it's debatable weather it was worth $350 in the first place. But it does have a sintered base so it should go faster than most entry boards. Directional twin shape will let you ride freeride & park decently. Rossi's site says 7/10 stiffness so it isn't a noodle, and should hold up to his weight. I don't know much about Rossi's quality (not discussed much here). At $200, its a decent deal, it's kind of hard to find anything under $200 that isn't crap.
BoardTheSnow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If he's at 230 you probably want to put him on at least a 164. I'd look into the GNU CHB w/BTX if he can sport the money. Good all around board, not too stiff, not too soft and with the BTX he hold an edge but won't catch one.

It's been a while since I've had to help out with an entry level board for someone my size (I'm 6'2" and now a big fat 275) I've had a number of Ride boards in my time and they've all treated me well. I don't know the Agenda well enough to comment on that board for your friend but I'm sure it won't be crap.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Don't ask me why or how he got it but he's been riding an old Rossignol Imperial 155 for years. He's a solid rider to boot.

He's looking for something in the 161 range. How much difference does it make when you go from 160 upwards. If he goes short would he want a stiffer board? Thanks for the help thus far!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurefunk View Post
Don't ask me why or how he got it but he's been riding an old Rossignol Imperial 155 for years. He's a solid rider to boot.

He's looking for something in the 161 range. How much difference does it make when you go from 160 upwards. If he goes short would he want a stiffer board? Thanks for the help thus far!
I would really not recommend he go below 160.
Anything under that it will not matter if it is a "stiff" board or not- with his weight it will not be stiff. I would recommend a 162 if he is a 50/50 rider. That is his version of a short board. Go to 166 if he wants free ride.
AWNOW is offline   Reply With Quote