Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Dark Series VS. T Rice (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/17744-dark-series-vs-t-rice.html)

Soawsome 09-21-2009 11:11 AM

Dark Series VS. T Rice

Hey guys, i am looking to purchase a new board this year and need some help and opinions to assist me in making my choice.

I currently have a 162 GNU altered genetics with MTX( first year the btx came out only on the SB)
i am 6 foot 2 inches, i weight about 200 lbs with a size 12.5 boot.

I mostly just freeride down the mountain and most the time i am charging/racing. I occasionally go to the park, i would say 75% charging/racing and 25% at the park. I live on the Ice coast and go to Mountain Creek in NJ mostly with several weekend trips to Killington VT.

I have had several Mervin MFG boards and i have loved all of them. So i narrowed my choices down to the Dark series c2btx and the Trice c2btx. There is very little info i could find on these boards being so early in the season and from lack of lib-techs board descriptions.

Most important to me is the stability in the board at high speeds on ice/hardpack, I cant be catching edges since i cant afford a injury in the short season on the ice coast .

Considering my boot size if i choose to get the dark series i will get the Wide version. The dark series comes in a 161W and a 164W while the t-rice comes in a 161.5 pointy and a 164.5 pointy. Also what size board do you think will suit me best. I ride a 162 now but that i also the biggest board i have ridden.

Any input or help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. :D

chupacabraman 09-21-2009 12:21 PM

Never Summer Legacy-R 159cm (or 161cm if you do lots of backcountry)

GoggleTan 09-21-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chupacabraman (Post 182518)
Never Summer Legacy-R 159cm (or 161cm if you do lots of backcountry)

I am in a similar situation as you and the Legacy is what I bought after lots of research. Though, I had a bad experience with mervin and you haven't.

crazyface 09-21-2009 07:11 PM

dont really know a whole lot about the dark series or trice, but the TRS i have is really good for freeriding. it is stiffer than both of the boards you are looking at, but im not sure if it comes in c2.

Cr0_Reps_Smit 09-21-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface (Post 182679)
dont really know a whole lot about the dark series or trice, but the TRS i have is really good for freeriding. it is stiffer than both of the boards you are looking at, but im not sure if it comes in c2.

im pretty sure the t rice is stiffer than the trs but i could be wrong

earlvb 09-21-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface (Post 182679)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit (Post 182710)
im pretty sure the t rice is stiffer than the trs but i could be wrong

Softest to stiffest is TRS, T. Rice, Dark Series. I think you may need the wide for your foot size, but this isn't my area of expertise. Hopefully others will chime in.

Soawsome 09-23-2009 09:34 AM

I just checked out the lib-tech website, they rate the flex on all there boards from 1-10. 1 being the softest and 10 being the most stiff.

T-rice = 7
Dark Series = 7.5
TRS is a 6 for the 159cm and 7 for the 162cm

The T-rice is a midwide and the dark series is a wide. The trs is the least wide of the 3 boards and i am afraid it will be too narrow.

Cr0_Reps_Smit 09-23-2009 10:05 AM

^ yea that might be a problem. i ride the trs and love it as a big jump park board and i can even shred the rails with it with the banana but i also have size 9 boots so i have no idea how big a boot you can go on it.

Soawsome 10-02-2009 12:52 PM

So i think i have decided on the T-rice 161.5cm

i do most my Snowboarding at Mt creek in NJ, and while i havent been to every resort in the country i feel as Mt. Creek is the most crowded of them all lol. I have to dodge people so much, i feel as i have progressed in dodging people better than any other skill in snowboarding.

With that being said I talked to a guy at my local shop who said he rode this years t-rice and said that it was not a quick/short-radial turning board. i did fine dodging idiots on My GNU altered genetics MTX 162 for a couple seasons. Should i be concerned about this on the new C2 T-Rice?

Also I am leaning towards the 161.5 but wish there was a 159. With my given specs above would a 157 be suitable for mostly free-riding i know you can downsize with BTX but i would be going from a 162 to a 157.

Cr0_Reps_Smit 10-02-2009 03:37 PM

i would only downsize if you wanted a board for more freestyle riding so you should be fine sticking with the same size. i also dont believe you should have any trouble dodging people on this board any more than your old board.