Another snowboarding bag post (k2 fastback bag owners please come in!) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another snowboarding bag post (k2 fastback bag owners please come in!)

Sorry for another one! I searched through the whole forum, but I haven't yet figured out an answer to my question.
Last year I got the k2 Fastback snowboard bag, the bag is here (except mine is black and not this ugly olive color). K2 Fastback Snowboard Bag Olive 166cm | SnowShack.com

The description of the board is as follows:
Quote:
The K2 Fastback Snowboard Bag is a fully padded snowboard bag designed to hold one snowboard with bindings. The K2 Fastback Snowboard bag is a feature-rich bag that includes a tuck-away backpack harness for the ultimate in carrying convenience. A full-length zipper makes this bag easy to load and unload. Constructed of rugged 600D PVC-back polyester, and lined with durable tarpaulin lining, the K2 Fastback Snowboard bag is ready for anything the road throws at it. The K2 Fastback Snowboard bag will hold one snowboard, up to 166cm in length.
Features:

* Sleek, fully padded shaped board bag
* Tuck-away, backpack shoulder harness
* ID card window for easy identification
* Full-length zipper for easy access
* Center Velcro padded handle
* Durable tarpaulin lining
* Dimensions: 166cm x 33cm x 27.5cm
My question to ya'll is, is this board worthy of flying with? I've read a lot of reviews in trying to determine what qualifies a bag as being air-travel approved, and really all I've seen is "big" and "padded." I'm flying from NJ (JFK) to Whistler (VAN) for New Years and I want to make sure all my stuff makes it there safely.

The K2 bag is somewhat padded, and I can fit two boards in there with bindings, pants, and other pieces of equipment. If I got another bag, it would be the Dakine High Roller or the Burton Wheelie Bag. My thought is that the K2 is probably not good enough, but I want to make sure that before I buy a new bag, I buy one that has more features.

Hope ya'll can help!
raidair21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mort82

I've flown quite a bit with boards, my experience is to get one with a hard liner somewhere. It fucking sucks when you get to the mountain and there's some huge pressure dings in your base, or the edge is cracked in half.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort82 View Post
I've flown quite a bit with boards, my experience is to get one with a hard liner somewhere. It fucking sucks when you get to the mountain and there's some huge pressure dings in your base, or the edge is cracked in half.
Any recommendations on bags that have hard liners?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mort82

I've got this one right now... I only get to fly out West once or twice a season now, job and family prevent me from doing much more.

Burton Wheelie Board Case from Backcountry.com

I've got a solid black one.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For traveling that bag would suck. Ones with a hard liner are probably the best, but harder to find space for once you are out of the plane. At the very least find a board bag with lot's of padding. You can put your outwear and such in with the board to add protection to key areas. Most importantly the bag needs to have wheels. It is a serious pita to get around an airport with a board bag that doesn't have wheels. Believe me. Brociety has been cycling the Burton Wheelie bag for $83.99 quite a bit as of late. That is an ideal travel bag for carrying snowboards. It should have adequate protection and make it easier to get around the airport. Realize that not matter what, airlines can and do damage board bags from time to time. So pack accordingly, and check what their policies are about gear damage in case the worst happens.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mort82

I pack my riding gear around the board; long underwear, socks, sweats, pants, jackets, sweatshirts, hat, whatever... to help pad it. I've had the baggage handlers pick up my bag (travel with 2 complete boards and set of boots), and give me the evil eye. lol
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
For traveling that bag would suck. Ones with a hard liner are probably the best, but harder to find space for once you are out of the plane. At the very least find a board bag with lot's of padding. You can put your outwear and such in with the board to add protection to key areas. Most importantly the bag needs to have wheels. It is a serious pita to get around an airport with a board bag that doesn't have wheels. Believe me. Brociety has been cycling the Burton Wheelie bag for $83.99 quite a bit as of late. That is an ideal travel bag for carrying snowboards. It should have adequate protection and make it easier to get around the airport. Realize that not matter what, airlines can and do damage board bags from time to time. So pack accordingly, and check what their policies are about gear damage in case the worst happens.
Are you referring to the Burton Wheelie Gig Bag or the Burton Wheelie Board Case? The Board Case looks to run in the low 100s for a bag, the Gig looks to be in the 70s-80s.