Looking for a groomer specific board. GNU Billy Goat, Burton Custom X - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a groomer specific board. GNU Billy Goat, Burton Custom X

Now that the season is coming to an end and the 2015 board prices are dropping I think its time to expand my quiver.

I am looking to get a groomer specific board for the hard pack North East conditions I usually ride. I want a board thats medium/stiff, stable, fast, holds an edge in hard pack, carves hard (I have enough forgiveness in my other board), and is super responsive edge to edge. I hear cambers are the way to go, and I am worried if i get a rocker/camber/rocker board I will get the same thing as my Jones Mountain Twin. I hit jumps on occasion but rarely do park. I also rarely see powder.

About me: 5'10". 180 lbs. 18 years riding experience. 11.5 boots (Burton Rulers so i guess that means 10.5). Burton Cartel bindings.

Last season I bought a 2013 Jones Mountain Twin 158w and I love it, it tackles everything I throw at it and then some. But, groomers are not its strongest aspect. Its not as stiff as I would prefer a groomer specific board to be, maybe a 6/10. Its not the most stable board out there at high speeds, not out of control, but I am looking for something a little more. Its a little more forgiving than I would prefer, I want to be able to really lean in to my carves. It is fast and responsive, but I bought a wide one (i think 253mm or 258mm) which may be a bit wider than I need.

The two boards I have been looking at are the GNU Billy Goat and Burton Custom X.

The Custom X looks great, but its expensive, I am not sure I really can afford to drop $500 on a second board. But it does look like the groomer solution.

The GNU Billy Goat looks solid, but sometimes I wonder if I am looking at the same board as my JMT. There seems to be plenty of these left and the price is already dropping below $400 which is nice.

I am looking for some more advice, any recommendations are appreciated.
master_broshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a Custom X and it rips groomers hard. Try finding a good deal on the previous year model, there's no difference. I bought my 2012 custom x on eBay for $220 and it rides great.
Adam718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For a full on groomer deck you don't want magne. It drags and will slow you down.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friends
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam718 View Post
I have a Custom X and it rips groomers hard. Try finding a good deal on the previous year model, there's no difference. I bought my 2012 custom x on eBay for $220 and it rides great.
Good advice, I'll look in to the 2014 models
Old 04-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
For a full on groomer deck you don't want magne. It drags and will slow you down.
Can you expand on this? I was always under the impression that the magnetraction is what gives you the edge hold on hard pack and ice.

I think the Billy Goat has subtle magnetraction, not full on. Does the traditional camber of the custom x not need magnetraction? (I'm pretty sure it doesn't have it)
Old 04-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_broshi View Post
Good advice, I'll look in to the 2014 models
I'd recommend 2013+ in decent condition. The amount of people that buy expensive boards and end up not liking them is what gives people like us a chance at snatching them up for cheap.

Last edited by Adam718; 04-16-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Adam718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

For a groomer specific ice coast board. I'd look at the hotknife or billy goat. I had a billy goat when it was c2 the thing ripped groomers. I wouldn't worry about getting a board that is a similar profile to your rcr if you like the feel of that you can find more aggressive boards via flex and sidecut.

At the same time I have ridden a couple different years of custom X. They are very fast and an awesome groomer board. I am just not impressed with burtons edge tech when it comes to any icy days and we have to many of those here in the east.

Last edited by Wafflesx; 04-16-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Wafflesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflesx View Post
For a groomer specific ice coast board. I'd look at the hotknife or billy goat. I had a billy goat when it was c2 the thing ripped groomers. I wouldn't worry about getting a board that is a similar profile to your rcr if you like the feel of that you can find more aggressive boards via flex and sidecut.

At the same time I have ridden a couple different years of custom X. They are very fast and an awesome groomer board. I am just not impressed with burtons edge tech when it comes to any icy days and we have to many of those here in the east.
How was the billy goat for carving? Did it really lock in or would the turns slide out a bit? I find my JMT a bit too forgiving when I don't want it to be.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflesx View Post

If you can't get an edge on a custom x you're doing something wrong
francium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

+1 for the Custom X and additional + for getting last year's model and/or a used one.

Even a regular Custom (Camber) will rip groomers all day if you can't get the X for a reasonable price.
PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote