Preparing for next Niseko trip - get new pow board or keep current one? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Preparing for next Niseko trip - get new pow board or keep current one?

I'm planning for a 3-4 weeks trips to Niseko around Jan - Feb. Since I'm going to spend quite a bit on this trip, I thought may as well also get some gear most suitable for Niseko pow if the current setup is not as suitable.

I am 180lb, size 10 feet. Currently have:
1) 07 NeverSummer Summit camber version 161cm (1.8cm taper) + Rome Targa
2) 08 Burton Uninc 158cm + Uninc EST bindings

Will below boards will provide better float than my Summit?(friends been saying S-Rocker provides much better float and less leg burn that the camber Summit) I can use the Uninc EST binding on these boards:
1) 2009 or 2010 Burton Fish (156cm or 160cm? - 3cm taper?)
2) 2010 Burton Malolo (162cm? - 2cm taper?)

Seems like the Fish 156cm is most suitable for the deep pow slashing (since Niseko runs aren't long). I guess one good thing about Burton EST boards also is that you can do the stance + setback adjustment on the hill quite easily as oppose to riding the summit -> realize you don't like that much setback -> go to workbench and take time to readjust. Feels like EST is meant for pow riding adjustment

Also did the 2010 Burton Fish downgrade the base? It says Sintered N2O WFO for the 2010 version but Sintered N2O WFO Vision Base for 2009. (I assume the Vision one is higher end?)

Since I'm going to board at least 20 days during the trip, I need a proper board that allow save some strength on for the next day

The setback on the Summit is quite far back, will that help alleviate leg burn more than the S-Rocker shape of the Burton boards?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thanks!

Last edited by ckang008; 09-22-2009 at 09:26 PM.
ckang008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Get a Malolo over a fish, fish is too one-dimensional and there are still an enormous number of groomed runs that you will want to shred in niseko that the fish is not as good for.

If I get back to Niseko this year and can find a Malolo for a decent price between now and then (In Australia) then I will get one as it does more than just powder and fills the gap left by my downsized custom. I weigh slightly more than you and would probably go for a 158 Malolo given the right deal. Fuck i wish sierrasnowboards shipped to Aus.

Last edited by Reede; 09-22-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Reede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reede View Post
Get a Malolo over a fish, fish is too one-dimensional and there are still an enormous number of groomed runs that you will want to shred in niseko that the fish is not as good for.

If I get back to Niseko this year and can find a Malolo for a decent price between now and then (In Australia) then I will get one as it does more than just powder and fills the gap left by my downsized custom. I weigh slightly more than you and would probably go for a 158 Malolo given the right deal. Fuck i wish sierrasnowboards shipped to Aus.
I guess you are quite right about the amount of groomed runs. Too bad the Summit board isn't quite good at handling that. May give Malolo more consideration now.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
CrazyTasu

if you wanna buy a board just for pow then fish is way to go, but like ckang said if its pow and groom mixed malolo is probably better fit, have you consider other brand boards?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The summit...IS a powder board?! Especially at that size for your weight you should have no problems...
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
The summit...IS a powder board?! Especially at that size for your weight you should have no problems...
I was thinking if rocker pow boards can get me significantly better float then i may as well get the new board since iI'll be spending a good amount of my yearly holidays and quite a bit of money on the trip already.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Maybe the new Summit-R from this year? How much of a difference it will make though only Burton Avenger would really know since he's ridden both.

Im sure it will help, and if your dead set on getting a new board maybe sell your existing Summit and get a new Summit-R...just buying another pow board for 500 bucks seems like a waste unless you got the cash to blow.

What you have, the size, for your weight should float you through some pretty serious pow.

Last edited by arsenic0; 09-24-2009 at 01:00 AM.
arsenic0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 View Post
Maybe the new Summit-R from this year? How much of a difference it will make though only Burton Avenger would really know since he's ridden both.

Im sure it will help, and if your dead set on getting a new board maybe sell your existing Summit and get a new Summit-R...just buying another pow board for 500 bucks seems like a waste unless you got the cash to blow.

What you have, the size, for your weight should float you through some pretty serious pow.
this is exactly what i was thinking when he first said he needs a pow board, and then said he has a summit.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

btw sierra just got some more 09 burton stuff

fish for $275? fish ltd for $350? nofish for $250?

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote