Lightweight BIG Boot Boarders - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lightweight BIG Boot Boarders

Anyone else out there who has big feet that are disproportionate to your body weight/height? What do you do with your board size... Go bigger? Go wide?

I'm 5'10", 140-150, and I wear size 11. The obvious solution is to go with a longer or wider board, but certain free ride boards that are stiff, I feel you lose a certain degree of playfulness and control. Right now trying to decide on a NS Ripsaw. 156 just may be too much, while 153 may be too little and definitely would be cutting it close as far as waist width is concerned.

Interested to hear what others do, especially when it comes to stiff boards where you can't really afford to lose the already minimal playfulness those boards afford. There's a small boot page, why not a big boot?!
Powhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

First size 11 does not need a wide board. Second 5' 10" has nothing to do with length of board. Type of board and stiffness depends more on your riding style & ability. So just from reading your post it tells me your still in search and progressing as a rider. So 153 NS Ripsaw would be a great choice at 140-150.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Currently on a board with a waist width of 24.9 squeezed into a 10.5 and have some overhang. Going to a ripsaw 153 takes me to 24.2 waist width. I get that we're talking MM's here but smaller is the opposite direction I think I'd want to go, especially if I want to get a boot slightly larger.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

RipSaw 153 is 24.4 - 156 is 25.2 so I stand corrected 156 would be a much better fit.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi Pow,

Stoked for the question. To get this right you need to match up the correct dimensions. Boot size and Waist width are not the way to go. We want to match up foot length and board width at the inserts.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I rode a 160 Wide NS West this weekend. My boots are 10.5 and the width was perfect. About 1/2" hang on the toe and heel.

A little tiny bit narrower would have been ok, but if you're in the 153cm range then get a Wide. Or get a 156. Why do you think the 156 would be too much??

If I were to get a West (and for the riding the West is for), i'd probably get a 163cm (at that length i may not need a wide but would have to check). I'm 170 lbs. So compare the stats to the Ripsaw and see more or less where you are......

Last edited by F1EA; 05-11-2015 at 04:16 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't fall into the size 11 needs a wide board to fit. I bought a wide thinking it would help me progress but it was like steering a tank. I suppose it might have helped in a round about way but it dident help make things like riding trees fun, but it was awesome in wide open pow. So there is always a trade off.
I would suggest around a 25cm waist and boots with a small footprint and bindings that have gas pedals or a taller base that will rise your feet up a little to help get the toes and heels out of the way.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. Il definitely do that measurement if I'm able to scope the board in person beforehand. My concern with the 156 is going to a stiffer AND longer board and the significant (perceived) loss of response/playfulness that comes with it. I'm just so light i don't have much weight to hammer into the board and have it do what I want it to in a situation like that, if that makes any sense.

I'm almost thinking going with a long west and since I'm so light and it would be longer than I'm used to, it may ride like a ripsaw does for a heavier person.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhunter View Post
Thanks for the responses. Il definitely do that measurement if I'm able to scope the board in person beforehand. My concern with the 156 is going to a stiffer AND longer board and the significant (perceived) loss of response/playfulness that comes with it. I'm just so light i don't have much weight to hammer into the board and have it do what I want it to in a situation like that, if that makes any sense.

I'm almost thinking going with a long west and since I'm so light and it would be longer than I'm used to, it may ride like a ripsaw does for a heavier person.
Length does not always have an impact on stiffness. Its the way the board it designed. if you want a more playful board then you have to pick one with that profile within your weight range.
PorkCereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

I wear a size 11 boot and prefer wide boards. At around the size 11 range, it may come down to personal preference or what type of riding you're doing. I didn't really find that turning on a wide board was that much harder than a regular width board either. For park I was about to get a 154 because its waist is bigger, but I went with a 151 (waist is 25). I am not really carving though, so the regular width board should be ok for park. ( I am also 5'10" and 140)

Last edited by Cpapp; 05-17-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Cpapp is offline   Reply With Quote