Do you bother educating people? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Do you bother educating people?

So no matter what I do, I jump all in. I learn the tech, I learn the lingo, I learn the names, I catch up on the history.

Snowboarding in the past few years for me has been a dedication more than a hobby. Im not great, and I need to get out and ride . But I know my shit. Im a chair of our snowboard club, and talk about alot of different aspects of snowboarding with alot of people. From tech, to tricks, to locations to gear.

Recently two conversations that have upset me are abbreviated as follows.

Me: "Cant wait for snow to start falling"
Brain dead newb: "me either, have you seen the Burton line this year?... its sick!!"
Me: "yep, not the biggest Burton fan"
Brain dead newb: "Why not?! they are like the best company, didnt you see that they came out with reverse chamber[sic] and something called chamber[sic] this year?"
Me: "Burton didnt invent it. its been around for a long time. Camber is the mold of the board that keep the pressure points outside of your bindings. Reverse sets it inside."
Brain dead newb: "Yea they did, its on their website"
Me: "No, Reverse camber was experimented with in the 90's, but never caught on. It became a fad a few years ago after Mervin introduced the skate banana and everyone went ape shit over it"

Brain dead newb isnt actually a newb. hes been riding for almost 9 years, but as a casual past time and not an all out hobby.

Next Convo.

Me: "Dude, I just found a sick deal on a Forum Destroyer, but cant decide between that or a DC PBJ with a cracked sidewall to use as a rail board"
Frustrating Ignoramous: "what do you need another board for, dont you have like 3 already?"
Me: "yea, but I dont have a dedicated jib board."
Frustrating Ignoramous: "why do you need a board just for jibbing?"
Me: "because Im getting sick of tuning boards and destroying them when they have applications outside of the park"
Frustrating Ignoramous: "well thats what happens, boards break then you get new ones"
Me: " Im not really into taking my sintered base stiff as hell Bataleon with a 2cm setback and directional taper into the terrain park. Sintered is a bitch to repair correctly and a cheap board I could care less about repairing"
Frustrating Ignoramous: "Dude, stop trying to be all cool talking tech. anyone can read a manual"
Me: " Im not trying to talk all tech. These are some pretty basic factors I use to decide what Im going to use a board for and what boards I want to get"
Frustrating Ignoramous: "You dont need boards for different things unless your like a pro"

These are both abbreviated versions of extensive conversations with people lately. Do you guys bother to inform them and teach them truth? because Im getting sick of explaining things that I see as basic when all people want to do is try and fight me with their misconstrued sense of all holy Burton and oo look that boards pretty. lets go hit boxes with it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used to care and try to teach people but I'm starting to give up. The marketing machines of the big B and Mervin spread too much disinformation for me to compete with.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I feel yeah

Heres a great argument with my brother over waxing snowboards.

(me waxing my board)

Bro: Wow dude your waxing your board AGAIN?? Dident you wax it like yesterday??
Me: Yeah my base is white weve been riding on shitty ice and spring snow.
Bro: Yeah so its so pointless it dosent make any difference
Me: Go away
stoepstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if I had my old Burton Brushi here I would love to post a picture of what not waxing your board does over time. It dried up real bad, the base material shrunk, it pulled apart from the edges, Cracks everywhere....
Old 09-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll try to educate people who are willing and eager to learn. I'm a relative newcomer to the sport myself, and I'm always mining more experienced riders for knowledge. However, I'm not going to waste my time trying to educate an idiot or someone who is simply too hard headed to learn.
linvillegorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's great more and more kids are getting into shredding, but they are all definitely being completely misinformed about things, its insane. I feel like its all ignorant, brainwashed noobs. I was just talking with a kid the other day too and he said something like ,"I'm looking to get a great park board, something that looks cool and is a great park board. I think i'll get the Burton Custom." i wanted rip my ears off.
eastCOASTkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidePowder View Post
Frustrating Ignoramous: "what do you need another board for, dont you have like 3 already?"
That would have killed the conversation for me right there. I don't think my board collection will ever be big enough.
gibbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Right now I have a Bataleon Enemy, a K2 Darkstar, and a Libtech TRS BTX. I want to add a jib board so I was thinking Forum Destroyer or DC PBJ
Old 09-27-2009, 11:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

And this is why I have a blog about snowboarding. Mass media, companies, marketing machines, and the general lack of intelligence in the current crop of shop kids is what has bred a level of retardation in the snowboarding culture. I feel your pain for conversations like that, I have had thousands of those over the years, and some just get to the point of why even bother.

I'm cool with the fact for some people snowboarding is a hobby they do 1 week a year, I'm cool with the fact people need to have the social tag of being a "snowboarder" to express who they are, I'm cool with the fact for people like me snowboarding is their lifestyle, and I'm cool with everything else in between and after. What I'm not cool with is the dumb ass small minded douche bags that can't see past the X games, Olympics, Shaun White, Burton, and all the stupid ass bull shit that has made snowboarding uncool. The people that think park riding ends when you're 25, the fact I can't read a magazine without being disgusted because there's nothing teaching people the rich history of snowboarding, the fact that everything is marketed for 13 to 21 year olds. I'm pissed off that supposedly snowboarding peaked something like 6 years ago and we've had a steady decline.

I could go on forever on this topic it's something I've discussed with people that actually care about it numerous times.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
What I'm not cool with is the dumb ass small minded douche bags that can't see past the X games, Olympics, Shaun White, Burton, and all the stupid ass bull shit that has made snowboarding uncool. The people that think park riding ends when you're 25, the fact I can't read a magazine without being disgusted because there's nothing teaching people the rich history of snowboarding, the fact that everything is marketed for 13 to 21 year olds. I'm pissed off that supposedly snowboarding peaked something like 6 years ago and we've had a steady decline.
I really want you to be wrong with that statement. I don't think that snowboarding peaked years ago, it just changed, not to something better or worse, just something different. The barriers to entry of the sport were lowered, companies hired marketing people, and newer tech came out.

I really still have hope for Snowboarding as not only a sport but a lifestyle. The problem is the weekend warriors, or the people who fuck off to Whistler once a year for a week and think they are snowboarders. The ones who have taken a few lessons so they could slap "Snowboarding" on their Facebook page. People who are into it should live, eat and breathe Snowboarding.

Fuck the kids, fuck the wannabes, fuck Burton.
bakesale is offline   Reply With Quote