First board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mike_10PL

Default First board

Hi guys,
I'm planning to buy my first board/equipment (yup.. im just gonna learn how to "use it ") and after an online research I'm kinda confused...

First of all I used a board calculator and for my profile:
22 yrs
150 pounds
5'11"
boots" 10 1/2 (should I take 11 for double pair of socks? )

on first calculator it came up that I should take 150cm board and on second 155.. with width - 249 252 255-
What do you guys think?
Second.. I'm not really decided should I choose a board for freeride or freestyle? Which style is better for beginners? i'm not sure is it a really big difference?

And finally third.. what kind of equipment would you guys recommend?
I found this pckg on ebay:
2008 NEW M3 DISCORD 150 SNOWBOARD + M3 BINDINGS + BOOTS - (eBay item 260181633775 end time Nov-16-07 19:27:47 PST)

For me it looks good.. Everything is included but do you guys recommend to take a whole pckg like that or is it better to buy a good board from one company, boots and bindings from other?

I don't want to spend more that $300 for now..
Thanx for help
Mike

Last edited by Mike_10PL; 11-14-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have not ridden the discord myself but have heard very strong reviews on them. I can't speak on M3 bindings but those look ok for entry level and the boots I wouldn't recomend buying without trying them on but even if the boots are a throwaway for you the rest of the package seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Now I would absolutely recomend you rent first before buying anything...

If you are not going to take that advice and buy anyway... in terms of boots they usually run true to size or even a .5 size smaller than your usual sneakers. Snowboard boots especially a pair on the low end like those are going to pack out very, very quickly and get looser on your feet than they'll be the first couple of times you wear them.

The length of the board I would suggest depends on where you're going to be riding. If you're here on the East Coast I'd say the shorter one is better, but if you're on the west you may want to go longer.

Width wise I wouldn't touch anything less that 25.x as you do have a relatively wide foot but not wide enough to warrant a mid or wide board with a width of 26.x for example I wear a size 13 and my Rome has a width of 26.5

Last edited by lisevolution; 11-14-2007 at 04:02 PM.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also, NEEEVVVEERRRR double up on socks, EEEVVERRR!
boarderaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mike_10PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution
I have not ridden the discord myself but have heard very strong reviews on them. I can't speak on M3 bindings but those look ok for entry level and the boots I wouldn't recomend buying without trying them on but even if the boots are a throwaway for you the rest of the package seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Now I would absolutely recomend you rent first before buying anything...
Thanx for the answer
Yeah, I was thinking about renting it but the point is that for my first ride i'm going to Colorado (beaver creek) and to rent equipment there it's gonna cost me.... $110.00... per day lol. I have a lift ticket for 3 days so renting would cost me more than new equipment

Would you recommend any different boards with which you have some experience already?
And the boots.. should I choose 1/2 larger size and board for my height should be 150 or 155? Is it really that big difference 5cm?
thanx again
Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mike_10PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic
lol... okk It's gonna be my "first time" so you know how it is.. don't know any rules etc
Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd go a half size smaller on the boots and if they suck which they will... then you can buy new ones that actually fit you better as you go along. That board I would get in a 155 for you and your weight. Those bindings look fine for a beginner set up.

I hear you on the rentals and the cost. I promise if you rent off site from the mountain you can get it for cheaper than that but whatever that's a pretty good deal and I'd get that board bag even though it sucks for free also
Old 11-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

In terms of other boards that may be good for you to begin with... I can recomend the Ride Decade, I had the wide version and was using it up till last season. More of an intermediate board but forgiving for a beginner. I've heard very, very good things about the Atomic Cold Smoke and the Head Concept. Personally though I think the M3 is a great deal. I forget which member on here rides one and is definitely a supporter.

Ok I remember now his name is Mr Right on the forum I'm almost 100% he rides a discord
Old 11-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mike_10PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisevolution
In terms of other boards that may be good for you to begin with... I can recomend the Ride Decade, I had the wide version and was using it up till last season. More of an intermediate board but forgiving for a beginner. I've heard very, very good things about the Atomic Cold Smoke and the Head Concept. Personally though I think the M3 is a great deal. I forget which member on here rides one and is definitely a supporter.

Ok I remember now his name is Mr Right on the forum I'm almost 100% he rides a discord
Thank You!
I'll contact him and I'll ask about his opinion
Old 11-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic
ho hum, here we go.....

i would just like to claim bollocks to that.

for many years (ie more years than not) i wore conventional cotton 'street' socks on my skin.
as is their nature, they get sweaty and well, stuck to the foot like an extra layer of skin.

on top of them, i have my thick wooly jobs to keep the tootsies toasty and the sweat seeping. no blisters, no pains, no stress whatsoever.

as long as both pairs are pulled on toe curling tight, to ensure no slack, thus no crease, thus no hot spot pressure points; its all good. IMO
Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mike_10PL

hey.. one more question...
which offer is better?
this one?
2008 NEW M3 DISCORD 150 SNOWBOARD + M3 BINDINGS + BOOTS - (eBay item 260181633775 end time Nov-16-07 19:27:47 PST)

or this one?
2008 M3 DISCORD 155 Snowboard+Bindings+Boots NEW Pack - (eBay item 150182012387 end time Nov-18-07 19:12:23 PST)

it's the same board but different boots and bindings, and I have no idea for what should I look to choose better one

or this one?
2008 NEW SILENCE 155 SNOWBOARD + M3 BINDINGS + BOOTS - (eBay item 260182408244 end time Nov-14-07 18:36:58 PST)

thnx

Last edited by Mike_10PL; 11-14-2007 at 08:29 PM.